Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 11-16-2021, 09:27 PM   #31
tbwinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostpost View Post
Dominicks closed its North Riverside store a few years ago. The Door was barely closed before Tony’s Finer Foods moved in. They later moved across the street into Berwyn, but as far as shopping goes, that is a distinction without a difference.
Recently the Jewel in town closed, but an even bigger grocery is moving in after some major remodeling. Aldi is opening a store in the Village. And we have a Costco. There is no danger of a food desert, especially since this shoplifting danger is completely overblown.

Don't you find it interesting in that case that the two union shops failed whereas their replacements seem to be thriving? I know Aldi and Costco do not have unions however unsure about Tony's.

Tony's is actually a pretty good value grocery store. I am 10 years removed from Chicago suburbs however I've stopped in a few times while visiting family.
tbwinner is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-16-2021, 11:47 PM   #32
Poindexter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostpost View Post
https://comparecamp.com/shoplifting-statistics/
Scroll down to Impacts And Costs By The Numbers.
It’s the seventh bullet point. And to be completely accurate, it’s 65.9%.
Good link Mostpost.

Out of it I particularly found this fact interesting.

The common expression says that crime does not pay. However, shoplifting seems to be largely exempt from this as the chances of being arrested are only 1 out of 100 offenses. 48% or almost half of 15,000 surveyed in a study were repeat offenders.

So people that shoplift in general are only arrested 1 in 100 times. San Fran has da's like LA's Gascon who live in an alternate universe and don't believe in punishing criminals. Everyone has heard that they can shoplift up to $950 sans punishment. Their are shoplifting infomercials all over the net and local news like the one Andy C provided where they show people filling up bags of merchandise and walking out the store.

But I am supposed to look at all of those facts and assume that Walgreens is lying when they say they are closing up stores because of shoplifting. This at a time that having stores in open is certainly in their best interest given the demand for Vaccines and now boosters.

Thaskalos, can probably provide better insight to this, but my guess is that most shoplifters steal a few things, go undetected and over the course of a week, month, year, it shows up as major shrinkage for the retailer (as I am sure there are many shoplifters in certain areas, fewer in other areas, but there will always be shoplifters as lax as the punishment is and let's face it a lot of folks steal and a lot more will steal when they feel they can get away with it). My guess is that this is becoming a bigger problem now than it was, for the reasons I mentioned above.

JMO.
Poindexter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-16-2021, 11:49 PM   #33
Dave Schwartz

My question for Mosty is, "How is it that you justify that stealing someone else's property is acceptable behavior?"
Dave Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-17-2021, 08:23 AM   #34
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz View Post
My question for Mosty is, "How is it that you justify that stealing someone else's property is acceptable behavior?"
And started a thread defending such behavior
JustRalph is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-17-2021, 08:26 AM   #35
boxcar

Quote:
Social EQUITY...and JUSTICE! Someone had to make the tough decision that good is evil and evil is good.
Old 11-17-2021, 09:12 AM   #36
davew

it is a crime of necessity, thieves only take what they need

davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-17-2021, 10:57 AM   #37
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post
it is a crime of necessity, thieves only take what they need

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HWXfAweS4I
Look at the bright side: They're not going to treat the crime as a mere misdemeanor. But even in crimes of genuine necessity, the thief must repay (Prov 6:30).

Last edited by boxcar; 11-17-2021 at 11:03 AM.
boxcar is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-17-2021, 11:52 AM   #38
jimmyb

I asked a store owner who was located across from a high school if shoplifting was a problem. He said that it does happen but other kids would point out the offenders and he'd ban them from the store. He said any shrinkage would force him to raise prices to cover the losses.

Next time Mostie shops he should know he's personally subsidizing shop lifters.
jimmyb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-17-2021, 12:18 PM   #39
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyb View Post
I asked a store owner who was located across from a high school if shoplifting was a problem. He said that it does happen but other kids would point out the offenders and he'd ban them from the store. He said any shrinkage would force him to raise prices to cover the losses.

Next time Mostie shops he should know he's personally subsidizing shop lifters.
You'll have a very tough time convincing our retired postman of that fact! Most libs have no clue on how the real world works.
Old 11-17-2021, 12:35 PM   #40
Inner Dirt

Strange that Democrats are soft on shoplifting and other property crimes like what rioting causes, as those crimes will lead to local businesses raising prices or leaving for good. Two things that hurt the "less fortunate" poor people that Democrats are champions for.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-17-2021, 12:38 PM   #41
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
Most libs have no clue on how the real world works.

Especially those that work for the government, as standards to remain employed are much lower than the private sector, and failure to perform as an entity does not put them out of business. They just suck more out of the taxpayers to cover their inefficiency.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-17-2021, 12:38 PM   #42
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
Strange that Democrats are soft on shoplifting and other property crimes like what rioting causes, as those crimes will lead to local businesses raising prices or leaving for good. Two things that hurt the "less fortunate" poor people that Democrats are champions for.
This is because the poor or "less fortunate" among us are nothing more than stage props -- a means to an end for lefitists.
Old 11-17-2021, 12:41 PM   #43
Elkchester Road

Quote:
It's called carrying the buckets. He is the Lead Mule.

Dave Schwartz
Old 11-17-2021, 12:44 PM   #44
Elkchester Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
This is because the poor or "less fortunate" among us are nothing more than stage props -- a means to an end for lefitists.
Exactly, boxcar. What so many of these Leftists don't realize is that when push comes to shove...it always does when referring to Totalitarianism...they are a prop, too. They're just too damned dumb to see it.
Old 11-17-2021, 12:47 PM   #45
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkchester Road View Post
It's called carrying the buckets. He is the Lead Mule.

Dave Schwartz
mostie is so confused he is not sure if he lost his horse or found a rope.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: