Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 09-10-2018, 08:00 AM   #1
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Tracks with sports betting

cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-10-2018, 08:37 AM   #2
alydar

Interesting, I wonder what Charlestown's experience is?
alydar is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-10-2018, 08:39 AM   #3
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by alydar View Post
Just opened September 1st, probably a little soon to try to guess.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-10-2018, 09:10 AM   #4
the little guy

Off the top of my head, always dangerous, I would be careful with Monmouth, as they don't race that many dates, and it seems to me weather played a very important ( negative ) role for them over the past six weeks or so. Even more, perhaps, because of the added dates ( which definitely did not work out ). Their early numbers, before they expanded to four days a week, told a very positive story....and they had sports betting during that period as well.
the little guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-10-2018, 09:32 AM   #5
o_crunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
Off the top of my head, always dangerous, I would be careful with Monmouth, as they don't race that many dates, and it seems to me weather played a very important ( negative ) role for them over the past six weeks or so. Even more, perhaps, because of the added dates ( which definitely did not work out ). Their early numbers, before they expanded to four days a week, told a very positive story....and they had sports betting during that period as well.
I would not say the early part of the meet was as positive as the press made it out to be. MTH was stuffing the box with horses and their per entry was down significantly both before sports betting and after. Increasing field size is as sure a handle increasing measure as you will find and MTH did that throughout the meet and particularly up to Haskell day, yet was down between 5 and 10% during that time, week to week, which foretold where their overall handle eventually went.

Also keep in mind, the same trend is taking place at DEL, where it is magnified.

o_crunk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-10-2018, 09:36 AM   #6
lamboguy

monmouth had an ugly looking meet. there were to many races at bottom claiming prices and big trainers got most of the wins at very short prices.

if 80% of all the races are won by a little more than a handful of trainers, your track is going to have some problems.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-10-2018, 09:38 AM   #7
biggestal99

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
Monmouth didnt have enough horses to carry a 4 day race week.

I image they will cut back to 3 days next year. 4 just way too many.

and the weather didnt help. scratches galore.

as an X player it doesnt matter but pair-mutuelly speaking.....

It tamps down PM handle.

we shall see how they do this weekend at the Big M?

Looks like the rain might hold off.

Allan
biggestal99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-10-2018, 10:01 AM   #8
lamboguy

another thing not taken into consideration is that this was the first year that Monmouth offered exchange wagering and i wonder how much of a bearing it had on the numbers.

we will need further studies to make better conclusions of this matter.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-10-2018, 10:06 AM   #9
o_crunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
another thing not taken into consideration is that this was the first year that Monmouth offered exchange wagering and i wonder how much of a bearing it had on the numbers.

we will need further studies to make better conclusions of this matter.
MTH has offered exchange wagering since May 2016. That's over two year ago. Volume has flat lined since launch and my experience and data lead me to believe that actual handle on the exchange that originates from NJ and not from overseas is tiny.
o_crunk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-10-2018, 10:28 AM   #10
TheGarMan

On a related matter, yesterday I found myself daydreaming about where I could go to make a few legal NFL bets.

I (briefly) considered driving a few hours to Delaware Park to see what their sports book atmosphere was like.. (I came to my senses and stayed home)

The point I suppose, is thus: I never in 15 years in the horse game even considered driving to Del Park to see their live race card. The draw of sports betting is alive and real. I bet there were 100's of "new faces" at Del Park yesterday, and not many of them even noticed the racetrack. Long term I think it this come at a cost to the hardcore horse players.

Time will tell.

Last edited by TheGarMan; 09-10-2018 at 10:34 AM.
TheGarMan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-10-2018, 11:30 AM   #11
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by alydar View Post

I am curious about CT. I live only 120 miles from there. I would just wonder if the lines are similar to Las Vegas, as others in here have complained about having to lay -120 and -115 on both sides when sports betting at tracks. Looking forward to going, my bank is a joke so I wouldn't even try to fund an off shore account, and I also had a friend not get paid on a $4k season bet on WSEX.

My only sports betting is with that same friend who most of the time won't bet unless I give him extra points. He takes advantage of the fact sometimes I just need action. I hit the first one, I took Redskins and GAVE 3 yesterday.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-10-2018, 01:54 PM   #12
Poindexter

I would start looking at numbers from yesterday forward. NFL week 1 (yesterday) is really when the party (if there is going to be a party) began. Whatever initial effect sports betting will have on these racetracks should be measured starting yesterday through say the end of the NFL season to get an accurate measure of the initial effect of sport betting. At that point you will have a much better read as to whether sports betting can benefit horse racing or not.
Poindexter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-10-2018, 05:06 PM   #13
MonmouthParkJoe

I was at Monmouth yesterday for closing day, saddest time of the year. I was alive in that pick 6 to the last leg (would have hit it 6 times based on my ticket structures) but instead got nosed out by a horse I never in a million years would have used. Sums up my meet.

Yes, the racing product leaves something to be desired but I still enjoyed getting out there. That may change though, I am sad to say. Way too much has changed from the restricted BYOB areas, to picnic table politics, miserable tellers and other things.

Place was packed with sports betting yesterday. I really hope it helps the place out. But they really starting to alienate a lot of their regulars.
MonmouthParkJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-10-2018, 05:12 PM   #14
thaskalos

How much of the sports-booking profit does the racetrack end up with?
Old 09-10-2018, 05:19 PM   #15
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
I am curious about CT. I live only 120 miles from there. I would just wonder if the lines are similar to Las Vegas, as others in here have complained about having to lay -120 and -115 on both sides when sports betting at tracks. Looking forward to going, my bank is a joke so I wouldn't even try to fund an off shore account, and I also had a friend not get paid on a $4k season bet on WSEX.

My only sports betting is with that same friend who most of the time won't bet unless I give him extra points. He takes advantage of the fact sometimes I just need action. I hit the first one, I took Redskins and GAVE 3 yesterday.
You are way better off laying the -120 at the track.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: