Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 12-07-2021, 10:23 PM   #16
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
DRF is an independent newspaper. Their price is not set by the Industry.
I should have been clearer in my post. When I said "brain-dead industry", I was referring to the DRF as a private business enterprise...not to the "horse racing industry". But, speaking of the "horse racng industry", they should come up with their own PP pamphlet, to be handed out for free to their regular patrons. And they should absorb the accompanying financial cost themselves. That's how you encourage new active participation in a declining gambling game.
Old 12-07-2021, 10:53 PM   #17
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
I should have been clearer in my post. When I said "brain-dead industry", I was referring to the DRF as a private business enterprise...not to the "horse racing industry". But, speaking of the "horse racng industry", they should come up with their own PP pamphlet, to be handed out for free to their regular patrons. And they should absorb the accompanying financial cost themselves. That's how you encourage new active participation in a declining gambling game.
My guess is DRF understands their price point and would not benefit from charging less for their paper. Most people buy on-line now, anyway, I would guess. DRF also has some great handicapping products, like Formulator and TimeformUS.
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-07-2021, 11:07 PM   #18
Clocker

Past performances identical to those in the Racing Form can be down-loaded and printed out from brisnet.com. The basic past performances, exactly as printed in the form, are $1 per card. I have never found them to be not available the evening before the races.

Just go to brisnet.com and click on "Premium Past Performances". Open an account, down-load, and print them out.
Old 12-08-2021, 12:03 AM   #19
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
Past performances identical to those in the Racing Form can be down-loaded and printed out from brisnet.com. The basic past performances, exactly as printed in the form, are $1 per card. I have never found them to be not available the evening before the races.

Just go to brisnet.com and click on "Premium Past Performances". Open an account, down-load, and print them out.
Well, they aren't identical, that is why the prices are different. It is up to customers to decide how much the differences are worth.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-08-2021, 12:39 AM   #20
The_Turf_Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
Given the current competition for the gambling dollar, an industry has to be brain-dead to charge $11 for a pamphlet containing some basic handicapping information. Especially since the "Big Gorilla" of legalized betting has all its handicapping information available online for free.

Charging $11 for a DRF is akin to a restaurant charging $11 for a look at its menu...IMO.
I believe the equibase daily pass is $5.25. I don’t think that’s an unreasonable price for a company to maintain that data

Either way, anybody complaining about an $11 DRF is the same person betting dime supers, $2 show bets, and $1 exactas. They’re not even customers. They’re the equivalent at a restaurant where somebody sits in a diner with a coffee for 3 hours every day, it costs more money to keep the lights on and they’re hoping that one day they’ll order a sandwich with the coffee
The_Turf_Monster is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-08-2021, 07:16 AM   #21
westernmassbob

[QUOTE=thaskalos;2771698]Given the current competition for the gambling dollar, an industry has to be brain-dead to charge $11 for a pamphlet containing some basic handicapping information. Especially since the "Big Gorilla" of legalized betting has all its handicapping information available online for free.

When you go to any major sporting event there is a program available to purchase. If you go to a Red Sox game the program is much more then 11.00. I think some people may not have access or the capability to use a PC to look for information online. Most boomers have a hard enough time figuring out their smart phones because they aren’t “ tech savvay” as they put it. Regardless of any of this nobody is forcing someone to buy a DRF. My point was simply to say that if someone can blow though thousands of dollars per year betting horses they shouldn’t be complaining about the cost of a tool to help with handicapping.
westernmassbob is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-08-2021, 09:05 AM   #22
classhandicapper

The cost of participation in horse racing for the $2 - $5 bettor is generally too high. If you bet $50-$100 a day you'd have to be a great horseplayer just to break even. It's way easier for most people to follow other professional sports on TV, get information online for free, feel reasonably informed and understand the game, and make a few bets. It will cost them less and they'll lose less.

Racing is at a huge competitive disadvantage in a lot of ways, not least of which is the take. Racetracks need the take just to put on the show. Sports are making money off TV deals, merchandise sales, ticket and parking sales, food sales etc... Gambling is different revenue stream. The take can be, and is, much lower.
Old 12-08-2021, 10:00 AM   #23
JeremyJet
Handicapper

I agree that the DRF is overpriced. I think it was a $1.50 when I started buying it on a regular basis.

It is basic info for the most part, like someone mentioned in a earlier post, but the DRF is making you pay for the Beyer figures.

FWIW, If you wager through DRF Bets you can get the Form for free.
JeremyJet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-08-2021, 10:13 AM   #24
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

You guys need to think about the operation DRF runs...compared to say, the WSJ...then wonder about the price again.

Think of the costs...the logistics...and the number of papers sold each day.

The WSJ has a circulation of about 750k physical papers daily.

I have no idea what the DRF daily circulation is, but it certainly isn't 750k per day. And yet they both print every day and distribute nationally.

The WSJ costs what? $3 these days?

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 12-08-2021 at 11:03 AM.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-08-2021, 10:45 AM   #25
biggestal99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
grew up on the Daily Racing Form.

now I do monthly TimeformUS, but I still occasionally purchase the DRF on-track, as a conspicuous Veblen good
I still purchase the 5 card monthly. More out of habit than anything else.

I use equinedge now.

Can never go back.

Allan
biggestal99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-08-2021, 11:52 AM   #26
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyJet View Post
I agree that the DRF is overpriced. I think it was a $1.50 when I started buying it on a regular basis.

It is basic info for the most part, like someone mentioned in a earlier post, but the DRF is making you pay for the Beyer figures.

When I first started, we got the Morning Telegraph for 35 cents!
0We all had fits when it went up to 59 cents. Totally different product back then, most notably, I don't ever remember seeing a race missing the times!
Old 12-08-2021, 11:55 AM   #27
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
You guys need to think about the operation DRF runs...compared to say, the WSJ...then wonder about the price again.

Think of the costs...the logistics...and the number of papers sold each day.

The WSJ has a circulation of about 750k physical papers daily.

I have no idea what the DRF daily circulation is, but it certainly isn't 750k per day. And yet they both print every day and distribute nationally.

The WSJ costs what? $3 these days?
I agree, but there are no printing, shipping costs for downloads. There is price break, either.
Old 12-08-2021, 12:49 PM   #28
metro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyJet View Post

I think my first DRF purchase was $1.35. Back then and for a number of years as a regular buyer of their product they had a lot more than just the PPs in them. Charts for one were, and are, an invaluable handicapping tool , now I cannot remember the last time I saw a chart in a DRF.

Daily workouts were a staple as well. Again, cannot remember the last time I saw them in a print edition. Stakes nominations were something I liked to clip and incorporate as well. Gone too.

Of course all of this is available on-line now, if you look for it, but it was nice having it already printed for you.

One thing I can't remember was how many tracks were in the $1.35 version, probably just a couple back then so while some of the content has disappeared the number of tracks with PPs has surely increased.

As far as DRF Bets goes I've tried their wagering platform and just didn't like it, especially mobile. Too cumbersome. The "free" DRFs are nice but I found myself always having to check my wagers to make sure they were crediting me properly and they hardly ever did. It was almost as if it wasn't an automated process but rather someone sitting at a keyboard updating my rewards account. Bait and switch somewhat applies here, don't need that hassle.
metro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-08-2021, 02:06 PM   #29
JeremyJet
Handicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by metro View Post
I think my first DRF purchase was $1.35. Back then and for a number of years as a regular buyer of their product they had a lot more than just the PPs in them. Charts for one were, and are, an invaluable handicapping tool , now I cannot remember the last time I saw a chart in a DRF.

Daily workouts were a staple as well. Again, cannot remember the last time I saw them in a print edition. Stakes nominations were something I liked to clip and incorporate as well. Gone too.

Of course all of this is available on-line now, if you look for it, but it was nice having it already printed for you.

One thing I can't remember was how many tracks were in the $1.35 version, probably just a couple back then so while some of the content has disappeared the number of tracks with PPs has surely increased.

As far as DRF Bets goes I've tried their wagering platform and just didn't like it, especially mobile. Too cumbersome. The "free" DRFs are nice but I found myself always having to check my wagers to make sure they were crediting me properly and they hardly ever did. It was almost as if it wasn't an automated process but rather someone sitting at a keyboard updating my rewards account. Bait and switch somewhat applies here, don't need that hassle.
I always wondered if they would make more of a profit if the product was priced cheaper. Back in the day, people purchased the Form "everyday," regardless if they played that day or not. That's not gonna happen today at $10 a shot.

Re: DRF Bets & Free PPs

I'm from Illinois and have been with TwinSpires for the longest time. No real problems, and they actually improved their platform the past year or two. Problem now is that Churchill is unfortunately the enemy. I can't support what they have been doing, and especially to my beloved Arlington Park. Sorry, you just don't take that kind of history and throw it in the trashcan.

So, for that reason, I needed a new ADW. I landed at DRF Bets. I too am frustrated with some of the things associated with their platform, but the free PPs are a real bargain. You'll get a free PP credit for every $50 wagered. It's accurate. You'll get the credit you've earned. I've never had a problem ... so far. Been with them since July.
JeremyJet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-08-2021, 02:23 PM   #30
delfman

[quote=westernmassbob;2771675]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheckMark View Post
I have no idea about this (since I am Canadian) but do you guys in the US get multiple editions of the DRF?

At the Connecticut OTB I have only ever seen two editions. I guess the expense would take its toll if you are a small time gambler with a limited bank roll. Without the DRF though that is like building a house without a toolbox. Unless of course you rely on the track toutsters picks. As far as betting multiple tracks 4 times a week ? ( another poster eluded to this ) Wow that seems like a fast way to have to file bankruptcy. Of course maybe you are a two dollar better then the losses would not be so bad.
stupidity runs rampant in these parts.
Let me guess, you are also a steward.
delfman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: