Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 02-08-2014, 01:02 AM   #1
BlinkersOn

Denman was asleep at the wheel

In today's 8th at Santa Anita, a horse reared up and never left the starting gate. Trevor Denman never even noticed it, nor did he miss the horse for the whole race, and acted surprised when the race was over that there was an inquiry into the running of the race. Meanwhile, back in the starting gate, Martin Pedroza suffered a broken left leg, and is in the hospital tonight.

Denman seems to be missing more and more when it comes to calling a race, and it's sad, because he was one of the very best.

Last edited by BlinkersOn; 02-08-2014 at 01:07 AM. Reason: change
BlinkersOn is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-08-2014, 03:03 AM   #2
vegasone

Evidently you haven't seen this happen before. I have seen this twice at other tracks recently and was not aware of this till a stewards inquiry was put up. One horse I actually bet and was left wondering where he went. It is always easy to be a couch announcer. Unless you have a heads on view or are looking for a particular horse, you probably wouldn't notice in a decent size field.
vegasone is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-08-2014, 03:58 AM   #3
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasone
Evidently you haven't seen this happen before. I have seen this twice at other tracks recently and was not aware of this till a stewards inquiry was put up. One horse I actually bet and was left wondering where he went. It is always easy to be a couch announcer. Unless you have a heads on view or are looking for a particular horse, you probably wouldn't notice in a decent size field.
I've had that happen to me several times. Of course one can knock on any subject. This one IMO is totally unfair.
Old 02-08-2014, 04:51 AM   #4
dasch

The horse didnt rear, she just refused to come out of the gate. There is no way anybody can even see this unless you watch the head on.

Trevor has been making some mistakes lately but I agree with Vic, holding this against him is unfair.
dasch is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-08-2014, 07:09 AM   #5
JustRalph
Just another Facist

hey, if they don't come out....... why call em............?
JustRalph is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-08-2014, 10:11 AM   #6
BlinkersOn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasch
The horse didnt rear, she just refused to come out of the gate. There is no way anybody can even see this unless you watch the head on.

Trevor has been making some mistakes lately but I agree with Vic, holding this against him is unfair.
OK, I watched it again and the horse just simply planted himself in the gate, and refused to leave. Apparently, Pedroza's leg got squeezed and broken in the process.

You guys are a tough crowd here. I guess I won't be starting any more topics. I found the incident funny, with the exception of Pedroza getting hurt. It wasn't a huge field of horses, and it wasn't noticed this horse wasn't even in the race....and I guess unless you had bet on the horse, you probably wouldn't have found it unusual.

My apologies to all who were offended..

Last edited by BlinkersOn; 02-08-2014 at 10:21 AM. Reason: change
Old 02-08-2014, 11:41 AM   #7
wiffleball whizz
Dead money

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlinkersOn
OK, I watched it again and the horse just simply planted himself in the gate, and refused to leave. Apparently, Pedroza's leg got squeezed and broken in the process.

You guys are a tough crowd here. I guess I won't be starting any more topics. I found the incident funny, with the exception of Pedroza getting hurt. It wasn't a huge field of horses, and it wasn't noticed this horse wasn't even in the race....and I guess unless you had bet on the horse, you probably wouldn't have found it unusual.

Don't let the crowd here get to you.........there all great people they just love to bust balls!!!
Old 02-08-2014, 04:14 PM   #8
jballscalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer
I've had that happen to me several times. Of course one can knock on any subject. This one IMO is totally unfair.
Had it happen like two months ago to me.
Old 02-08-2014, 04:18 PM   #9
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiffleball whizz
Don't let the crowd here get to you.........there all great people they just love to bust balls!!!
Who's the one busting balls though, exactly? It's probably the OP busting Trevor...

If this is all it takes to get someone to stop posting, I don't see how he can bet the races with such thin skin...
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-08-2014, 04:26 PM   #10
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:

Unless TD posts here (but he doesnt, he's too good for us) i'm not sure why anyone but Trevor himself would be "offended" at a post pointing out a mistake an announcer made. Its not like your post said something that was untrue....if the truth hurts, that's a "them problem" its not on you. Keep posting stuff like this, people need to hear the truth!!!
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-08-2014, 08:43 PM   #11
Grits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
Unless TD posts here (but he doesnt, he's too good for us) i'm not sure why anyone but Trevor himself would be "offended" at a post pointing out a mistake an announcer made. Its not like your post said something that was untrue....if the truth hurts, that's a "them problem" its not on you. Keep posting stuff like this, people need to hear the truth!!!
Another of your posts that sucks, SRU. Your ever present case of verbal dysentery.
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-08-2014, 08:58 PM   #12
ManU918

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph
hey, if they don't come out....... why call em............?
This literally made me laugh out loud.... good one.
ManU918 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-08-2014, 09:56 PM   #13
BlinkersOn

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
Who's the one busting balls though, exactly? It's probably the OP busting Trevor...

If this is all it takes to get someone to stop posting, I don't see how he can bet the races with such thin skin...

Trust me, my skin is getting thicker. I don't get paid to bet the races, but Denman gets paid to call the races. He didn't even know when the race was over why there was an inquiry. it was a sloppy job of race calling, and I stand behind it.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:16 PM   #14
redshift1

Quote:
In today's 8th at Santa Anita, a horse reared up and never left the starting gate. Trevor Denman never even noticed it, nor did he miss the horse for the whole race, and acted surprised when the race was over that there was an inquiry into the running of the race. Meanwhile, back in the starting gate, Martin Pedroza suffered a broken left leg, and is in the hospital tonight.

Denman seems to be missing more and more when it comes to calling a race, and it's sad, because he was one of the very best.
Ever try calling a race, I'm surprised more mistakes aren't made. I give all the track announcers credit for calling a sports event that unfolds very very quickly.

Imagine calling a sport where the players names and jerseys change every 20 minutes.

redshift1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-08-2014, 10:33 PM   #15
iceknight

Quote:
Trust me, my skin is getting thicker. I don't get paid to bet the races, but Denman gets paid to call the races. He didn't even know when the race was over why there was an inquiry. it was a sloppy job of race calling, and I stand behind it.
Fine, he made an error. You can always catalog the errors and omissions vs accurate calls and then check if it meets six sigma or whatever other methods.

As for SRU's post, maybe you SRU downs can start paying TD to come post here. No one is obligated to participate anywhere. If TD comes here ever, I would definitely let him know about the Ignore user feature
iceknight is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: