Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 03-26-2014, 10:16 PM   #61
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatchaser
What? No Muskrat Racing to call up there?
Did you write this in invisible ink?
Old 03-26-2014, 10:18 PM   #62
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatchaser
What? No Muskrat Racing to call up there?
Any Muskrats we see. We eat.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:28 PM   #63
olddaddy

About $30 bucks an hour to ump high school games is not bad at all. But its a short season and you cant get that many games. I do understand why you have to eat muskrat.
olddaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2014, 10:44 PM   #64
goatchaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour
Did you write this in invisible ink?
I have no idea how that happened....But you being the Phantom should know
goatchaser is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2014, 11:43 PM   #65
Stillriledup
Veteran

The guy REFUSES to call a photo no matter how close (or not close) it is. TizmeTizyou on Sunday the 23rd in the 4th race, a callable photo, yet he wouldnt call it.

Why not call it? If you're wrong, you're wrong, its not like he's going to be fired if he's wrong and as far as criticism goes, the only criticism he gets is on the message boards, and he doesnt read them or participate in them.

Does he seriously not know who won a close photo, is there some kind of "backlash" an announcer gets from his bosses if he's calling a photo and he's wrong? He's right on the wire, this was an easy one to call, he had his shot.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-27-2014, 01:00 AM   #66
goatchaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer
Any Muskrats we see. We eat.
Give my regards to Jethro and Ellie May vic.
goatchaser is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-27-2014, 01:45 AM   #67
v j stauffer

Had a kid pitch a no hitter Tues at Justin Sienna vs San Rafael. JV Boys. He was a witch. Several errors and a couple walks precluded the perfect game but he was totally dominant. If he can't crack their varsity JS will have to be a super power this season in Marin

Last edited by v j stauffer; 03-27-2014 at 01:46 AM.
v j stauffer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-27-2014, 02:27 AM   #68
NJ Stinks

I umpired high school baseball and softball too. I'll never forget my umpire association's motto:

When in doubt
You're out.

Old 03-27-2014, 04:34 AM   #69
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Stinks
I umpired high school baseball and softball too. I'll never forget my umpire association's motto:

When in doubt
You're out.

The leader of our association is a wise man. He always reminds us. " Have you ever heard of a HS coach getting mad because you were calling too many strikes?"

When I'm behind the dish you better be up there hackin.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:33 AM   #70
jballscalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup

Why not call it? If you're wrong, you're wrong, its not like he's going to be fired if he's wrong and as far as criticism goes, the only criticism he gets is on the message boards, and he doesnt read them or participate in them.

Does he seriously not know who won a close photo, is there some kind of "backlash" an announcer gets from his bosses if he's calling a photo and he's wrong? He's right on the wire, this was an easy one to call, he had his shot.
I don't think I've disagreed more with a post on here than this in a long time. If you don't know for sure who won, why on earth would you call it? We're not paid to guess, we're paid to describe and be as accurate as we can be.

And yes there is a backlash, it's called pissed off customers! I miss called a photo one time and it was for the place spot, and I got not one, but two phone calls from the other end of the country from guys pissed off who thought they got their exactas. I consider that backlash.

Another point...most announcers booths i've been to, are not right on the wire. in fact, many are not even close. Keeneland the guy is practically at the 1/16th pole. The wire is usually reserved for photo finish office, stewards, tv camera and then the announcer. I'm a good 50 or 60 feet up from the finish. Maybe he is on the wire, but there is no good that comes from guessing a photo if you don't know. JMO.

**Cue Dad complaining about announcers defending other announcers now
Old 03-27-2014, 11:04 AM   #71
Peter Berry
Track Announcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jballscalls
Another point...most announcers booths i've been to, are not right on the wire. in fact, many are not even close. Keeneland the guy is practically at the 1/16th pole. The wire is usually reserved for photo finish office, stewards, tv camera and then the announcer. I'm a good 50 or 60 feet up from the finish.
I'm not aware of any track in the U.S. where the announcer is right on the line, though I'm sure they exist. Announcers are not a high priority, geographically speaking.
Peter Berry is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-27-2014, 11:39 AM   #72
jballscalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Berry
I'm not aware of any track in the U.S. where the announcer is right on the line, though I'm sure they exist. Announcers are not a high priority, geographically speaking.
River Downs was if not on the wire, then maybe a foot or two off. In three years I think I chickened out on maybe one or two photos. It was amazing. All the other booths i've been to have been at least a couple lengths up from the wire. Emerald is a few lengths past the wire and that screwed with me one time I called there.
Old 03-27-2014, 04:01 PM   #73
TravisVOX
Track Announcer

LAD is 15-20 feet before the wire.
TravisVOX is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-27-2014, 08:55 PM   #74
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jballscalls
I don't think I've disagreed more with a post on here than this in a long time. If you don't know for sure who won, why on earth would you call it? We're not paid to guess, we're paid to describe and be as accurate as we can be.

And yes there is a backlash, it's called pissed off customers! I miss called a photo one time and it was for the place spot, and I got not one, but two phone calls from the other end of the country from guys pissed off who thought they got their exactas. I consider that backlash.

Another point...most announcers booths i've been to, are not right on the wire. in fact, many are not even close. Keeneland the guy is practically at the 1/16th pole. The wire is usually reserved for photo finish office, stewards, tv camera and then the announcer. I'm a good 50 or 60 feet up from the finish. Maybe he is on the wire, but there is no good that comes from guessing a photo if you don't know. JMO.

**Cue Dad complaining about announcers defending other announcers now
How could he not know? There's a large crystal clear huge big screen staring him right in the face, i'm giving him credit for knowing but taking the credit away for not saying. I'd find it hard to believe that an eagle eyed hall of fame announcer can't tell who won when its not all that close. He can even say i THINK so and so won, and he won't even do that...just the canned "too close to call".
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-28-2014, 07:57 PM   #75
Milkshaker

Hey Vic:

I'm sure the head of umpiring for your league would not be thrilled to see that you have posted your game and plate/base assignments in a public forum.

Regardless of the level of play, the officiating schools that I have attended (baseball, hoops) drill it into you that no one is supposed to know who the officials are until they step onto the field/court.

It's an ethical no-no, even if it's only frosh HS baseball.
Milkshaker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply