Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 02-15-2019, 02:48 PM   #1
C16
Apprentice

Pick 6 Tutorial? Need Clarification

Hello I want to try the pick 6.. I see it is only .20cents, but when I called TVG to ask about it they recommended the " Faq Section ". I looked there and nothing

I see that the pick 6 at Santa Anita is .20cents, but then you are able to bet more than .20cents, why would anyone bet more than a .20cent ticket if the pool is the same?

What I mean by that is granted if you pick more horses your ticket will increase, but why would you want to bet say $1 instead of .20cents if the pool will not increase? Would you not be wasting your money lol?

For example .20cent pick 6 ticket 1w1w1w1w1w1 will cost .20cents and if you bet $1 pick 6 (same ticket 1w1w1w1w1w1) it will cost $1 and the pool will not rise? I'm confused if anyone could help I'd appreciate it.

Or if there is any tutorials or links you can send me too? Thanks for your time
C16 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-15-2019, 03:01 PM   #2
Afleet

the .20 cent pick 6 is a single ticket only or it carries over. Stick w/the pick 5 or $2 pick 6 tracks-if there are any left. Only play the .20 cent jackpot type pick 6 on mandatory payout days only
Afleet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-15-2019, 03:06 PM   #3
C16
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afleet View Post
the .20 cent pick 6 is a single ticket only or it carries over. Stick w/the pick 5 or $2 pick 6 tracks-if there are any left. Only play the .20 cent jackpot type pick 6 on mandatory payout days only
Thank you Afleet, single ticket only as in I can only bet one 1 horse each race?
Old 02-15-2019, 03:10 PM   #4
Afleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by C16 View Post
Thank you Afleet, single ticket only as in I can only bet one 1 horse each race?
no you can play as many horses as you want, you just can't hit it twice or there won't be a single ticket-thus it will carry over and you will only get a partial payout.

The most important thing is don't play it unless its on mandatory payout day
Old 02-15-2019, 03:12 PM   #5
C16
Apprentice

Quote:
no you can play as many horses as you want, you just can't hit it twice or there won't be a single ticket-thus it will carry over and you will only get a partial payout.

The most important thing is don't play it unless its on mandatory payout day
Thank you! Stood on the phone with TVG for 10 min and in 2 sentences you made it clear. All the best Afleet GL!
Old 02-15-2019, 03:17 PM   #6
Afleet

https://www.santaanita.com/pick6/

Each day that there is no unique ticket, 70% will be paid out as the minor share to ticketholders which correctly selected the most first place finishers in the Pick(n) contests and 30% will be carried over to the major share (i.e. unique share). On a day that the jackpot is hit, that person gets 100% of the day’s pool and any carryover amount.

The California Horse Racing Board has approved the following as the definition of “unique”:

1) The total amount wagered on one and only one winning combination selecting the first-place finisher in each of the Pick (n) contests, based up on the official order of finish, is equal to the minimum allowable wager, 2) there is more than one combination selecting the first-place finisher in each of the Pick (n) equal to the minimum allowable wager and all such winning combinations are on one ticket that has a unique serial number assigned by the tote company that issued the ticket and the multiple winning combinations is solely a result of a wagering interest being scratched and replaced with the post time favorite; 3) there is more than one combination selecting the first-place finisher in each of the Pick (n) equal to the minimum allowable wager and all such winning combinations are on one ticket that has a unique serial number assigned by the tote company that issued the ticket and the multiple winning combinations is solely a result of a dead heat; 4) there is more than one combination selecting the first-place finisher in each of the Pick (n) equal to the minimum allowable wager and all such winning combinations are on one ticket that has a unique serial number assigned by the tote company that issued the ticket and the multiple winning combinations is solely a result of there is a surface change after the Pick 6 pool has closed and as a result the race is a “Win All”; or 5) there is more than one combination selecting the first-place finisher in each of the Pick (n) equal to the minimum allowable wager and all such winning combinations are on one ticket that has a unique serial number assigned by the tote company that issued the ticket and the multiple winning combinations is solely a result of some combination of (2), (3), and (4) above.

Please note, if a customer uses the alternate runner option and selects a horse as their alternate that is also part of their main selection and as a result has two (2) winning combinations, that ticket is not considered unique. This is true even if the alternate is the post time favorite.
Old 02-15-2019, 06:30 PM   #7
C16
Apprentice

Thank you yet again!
Old 02-16-2019, 12:50 PM   #8
FakeNameChanged

Quote:

Each day that there is no unique ticket, 70% will be paid out as the minor share to ticketholders which correctly selected the most first place finishers in the Pick(n) contests and 30% will be carried over to the major share (i.e. unique share). On a day that the jackpot is hit, that person gets 100% of the day’s pool and any carryover amount.

The California Horse Racing Board has approved the following as the definition of “unique”:

1) The total amount wagered on one and only one winning combination selecting the first-place finisher in each of the Pick (n) contests, based up on the official order of finish, is equal to the minimum allowable wager, 2) there is more than one combination selecting the first-place finisher in each of the Pick (n) equal to the minimum allowable wager and all such winning combinations are on one ticket that has a unique serial number assigned by the tote company that issued the ticket and the multiple winning combinations is solely a result of a wagering interest being scratched and replaced with the post time favorite; 3) there is more than one combination selecting the first-place finisher in each of the Pick (n) equal to the minimum allowable wager and all such winning combinations are on one ticket that has a unique serial number assigned by the tote company that issued the ticket and the multiple winning combinations is solely a result of a dead heat; 4) there is more than one combination selecting the first-place finisher in each of the Pick (n) equal to the minimum allowable wager and all such winning combinations are on one ticket that has a unique serial number assigned by the tote company that issued the ticket and the multiple winning combinations is solely a result of there is a surface change after the Pick 6 pool has closed and as a result the race is a “Win All”; or 5) there is more than one combination selecting the first-place finisher in each of the Pick (n) equal to the minimum allowable wager and all such winning combinations are on one ticket that has a unique serial number assigned by the tote company that issued the ticket and the multiple winning combinations is solely a result of some combination of (2), (3), and (4) above.

Please note, if a customer uses the alternate runner option and selects a horse as their alternate that is also part of their main selection and as a result has two (2) winning combinations, that ticket is not considered unique. This is true even if the alternate is the post time favorite.
Great info! And you did it without disparaging the OP for asking.
Old 02-16-2019, 01:52 PM   #9
coachv30

There's also the other way of looking at it.....

You can spread out in let's say 4 of the 6 races, keep your ticket under $60 and still hit for thousands if you're lucky enough to have a few nice prices in there.

I'll take $3000 for a $60 investment any day and not even worry about what I COULD have gotten if I was just the only winning ticket.

5 x 3 x 1 x 5 x 4 = $60 for 20 cents ; $600 for $2 (No thank you)

Last edited by coachv30; 02-16-2019 at 01:56 PM.
coachv30 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-16-2019, 02:10 PM   #10
coachv30

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachv30 View Post
There's also the other way of looking at it.....

You can spread out in let's say 4 of the 6 races, keep your ticket under $60 and still hit for thousands if you're lucky enough to have a few nice prices in there.

I'll take $3000 for a $60 investment any day and not even worry about what I COULD have gotten if I was just the only winning ticket.

5 x 3 x 1 x 5 x 4 = $60 for 20 cents ; $600 for $2 (No thank you)
Sorry...there should have been another x 1 in there
Old 02-16-2019, 02:12 PM   #11
coachv30

If you're looking for a 20 cent wager that can pay very well, look no further than the Canadian tracks; Woodbine and if you're into harness racing look at Woodbine / Mohawk.

The 20 cent Pick 5 at Mohawk this past Monday paid over $8600.
Old 02-16-2019, 07:38 PM   #12
C16
Apprentice

Thanks Coach, I will take a look at it though I am not familiar with Canadian trainers/jockeys the way I am with US.

How do I know when it is a mandatory payout day for a .20cent pick 6 at Santa Anita?
Old 02-19-2019, 02:32 PM   #13
LemonSoupKid

Quote:
This. The lone pick 6 I hit was the Travers Day $2, two years ago. But I do play the mandatory payout $.20 as Afleet says, because why not, and it draws a ton of [smart and stupid] money.

Overall, my favorite wager is the $.50 P5, which has a takeout nearly half of what the P4 and P6 wagers do. It's a great pool, right in between, good takeout, and just perfectly under the radar, most of the time.
LemonSoupKid is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-19-2019, 02:36 PM   #14
LemonSoupKid

Quote:
It would suck if you had 2 in the last leg and the longer scratched, sending 2 "picks" to the post time favorite ... thus killing your unique ticket when Mr. Favorite won. I know the odds that it'd be unique with a favorite in the last leg is small, but definitely possible over 6 races.
LemonSoupKid is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: