Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 01-02-2019, 03:59 PM   #1
RacingFan1992

Favorite Grass Filly/Mare of all time

I find the grass fillies and mares to be tougher because they are run against males and they make it look easy.

In the history of racing, who is your favorite grass filly/mare? (Example: Makybe Diva, Allez France, Winx, Enable, Black Caviar, Goldikova, Treve, Found, and Dahlia just to name a few). I'm sure there are some I am forgetting.

Mine will always be Enable after I saw her dig in and overcome the turf condition in the Breeders' Cup Turf.
RacingFan1992 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-02-2019, 04:21 PM   #2
biggestal99

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacingFan1992 View Post
I find the grass fillies and mares to be tougher because they are run against males and they make it look easy.

In the history of racing, who is your favorite grass filly/mare? (Example: Makybe Diva, Allez France, Winx, Enable, Black Caviar, Goldikova, Treve, Found, and Dahlia just to name a few). I'm sure there are some I am forgetting.

Mine will always be Enable after I saw her dig in and overcome the turf condition in the Breeders' Cup Turf.
Ouija board.

Allan
biggestal99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-02-2019, 04:23 PM   #3
biggestal99

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacingFan1992 View Post

My friend from the UK says Pebbles.

Allan
biggestal99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-02-2019, 05:34 PM   #4
dilanesp

Estrapade or Dahlia.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-02-2019, 05:49 PM   #5
Spalding No!

Several more:

Royal Heroine
Miesque
Tepin
Zarkava
Hatoof
Triptych
Indian Skimmer
All Along
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-02-2019, 06:35 PM   #6
Prytanis

Waya

April Run

Pebbles
Old 01-02-2019, 07:47 PM   #7
the little guy

Waya
the little guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-02-2019, 07:56 PM   #8
jocko699
Resurrectionist

Beautiful Glass
jocko699 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-02-2019, 08:07 PM   #9
Prytanis

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
Waya
Didn't Waya beat It's in the Air on dirt?
Old 01-02-2019, 08:34 PM   #10
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Sarah Lane's Oats
Old 01-02-2019, 08:34 PM   #11
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prytanis View Post
Probably
Old 01-02-2019, 08:40 PM   #12
RacingFan1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prytanis View Post
Waya beat her in the Beldame in which she came in 5th.
RacingFan1992 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-02-2019, 10:12 PM   #13
devilsbag
Prefer to be called Dinny

Waya broke through the gate prior to the start of that Beldame, let her stablemate Fourdrinier take care of It's in the Air, then ran her down over a sloppy track. Waya had won stakes in the slop earlier in the year, beating the boys and Late Bloomer while giving away actual weight in the Saratoga Cup (at Belmont) and also defeating Pearl Necklace in the Top Flight. Back to the Beldame, when Fourdrinier held on for second and both It's In the Air and Blitey finished off the board, the bridgejumpers splashed home, but not in the same way as Waya. The show prices were huge.

Anyway, this was about turf mares, right? Earlier in her career Waya ran nine furlongs in 1:45 2/5 to win the 1978 Diana at Saratoga, which an earlier poster in this thread highlighted on the Diana telecast earlier this year. A similar segment is also hidden on the NYRA Now app. Later that 1978 season Waya beat grass champions Mac Diarmida and Trillion, but had to wait a year for her Eclipse Award. Cordero holds her in very high regard, and among other things said she was the smartest horse he ever rode in his life.
devilsbag is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-02-2019, 10:19 PM   #14
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsbag View Post
Waya broke through the gate prior to the start of that Beldame, let her stablemate Fourdrinier take care of It's in the Air, then ran her down over a sloppy track. Waya had won stakes in the slop earlier in the year, beating the boys and Late Bloomer while giving away actual weight in the Saratoga Cup (at Belmont) and also defeating Pearl Necklace in the Top Flight. Back to the Beldame, when Fourdrinier held on for second and both It's In the Air and Blitey finished off the board, the bridgejumpers splashed home, but not in the same way as Waya. The show prices were huge.

Anyway, this was about turf mares, right? Earlier in her career Waya ran nine furlongs in 1:45 2/5 to win the 1978 Diana at Saratoga, which an earlier poster in this thread highlighted on the Diana telecast earlier this year. A similar segment is also hidden on the NYRA Now app. Later that 1978 season Waya beat grass champions Mac Diarmida and Trillion, but had to wait a year for her Eclipse Award. Cordero holds her in very high regard, and among other things said she was the smartest horse he ever rode in his life.
She beat Pearl Necklace in that Diana. I'll never forget that race. She beat the boys ( with Cordero ) in the Man O' War that Fall ( I feel like Tiller was second but could be wrong ) and that would have been before beating Mac Diarmida and Trillion in the Turf Classic ( which was run at Aqueduct back then I believe ).

She might be my all time favorite horse. If not, she's up there. She was great.
Old 01-02-2019, 10:51 PM   #15
sammy the sage

Goldikova....just....much respect...

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: