Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 01-26-2019, 10:31 AM   #16
pandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valuist View Post
Got a question for CJ. I happen to see a new notation in the Timeform PPs. Underneath where the distance is shown in a running line, and next to the track condition, there's a number. Is this a ranking of the race pace, or final time?
This is something new, the number rates the speed of the track surface.

https://timeformusblog.com/2019/01/2...ition-ratings/
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-26-2019, 10:55 AM   #17
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy View Post
This is something new, the number rates the speed of the track surface.

https://timeformusblog.com/2019/01/2...ition-ratings/
Yep, started a thread here at PA too:

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/s...d.php?t=150050
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-26-2019, 11:00 AM   #18
Valuist

OK, so one other question. Is this strictly about the surface (basically a track variant), or is it how the results played out (i.e.; how speed favoring the track was)? A track producing very quick times doesn't necessarily have to favor early speed.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-26-2019, 11:21 AM   #19
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valuist View Post
OK, so one other question. Is this strictly about the surface (basically a track variant), or is it how the results played out (i.e.; how speed favoring the track was)? A track producing very quick times doesn't necessarily have to favor early speed.
No, certainly not. This isn't really about bias but the surface itself and if horses prefer deeper, slower tracks or faster, firmer ones.
Old 01-26-2019, 02:02 PM   #20
Valuist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
No, certainly not. This isn't really about bias but the surface itself and if horses prefer deeper, slower tracks or faster, firmer ones.
OK, thanks for the clarification.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-28-2019, 09:31 AM   #21
hracingplyr

Timeform

So let's see in a horse's pp's he shows he runs very well on a track labeled fast 7 or 8 hoe do u know in the horses next race if the track is going to be labeled a fast 7 or 8? you don't, so what's the value of having these numbers? Not being sarcastic here CJ, just a question.

bob
hracingplyr is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-28-2019, 12:12 PM   #22
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by hracingplyr View Post
So let's see in a horse's pp's he shows he runs very well on a track labeled fast 7 or 8 hoe do u know in the horses next race if the track is going to be labeled a fast 7 or 8? you don't, so what's the value of having these numbers? Not being sarcastic here CJ, just a question.

bob

I asked the same thing on twitter, and given the statement in the blog about how inconsistent the tracks are with the labeling I am unsure how to use this other than to say this horses best numbers are on a certain track and I am certain today they are not getting that type.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-28-2019, 05:43 PM   #23
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
I asked the same thing on twitter, and given the statement in the blog about how inconsistent the tracks are with the labeling I am unsure how to use this other than to say this horses best numbers are on a certain track and I am certain today they are not getting that type.
I'll be adding a tool that can help. You'll never know on the first race run any day on each surface, but I'll post a chart and you can compare the time to the race rating and get a rough idea.

Beyond that, I think there is still some value. On the blog post I mention two races run two days apart at MVR, both fast tracks, one rate a 1 and one rated a 10. If you see the horse has run unexpectedly bad on one of the two, I think that is probably a valid excuse and you can put a line through it.

I also happen to think most seasoned handicappers can figure out when tracks are fudging the condition a bit based on past experience.
Old 01-29-2019, 11:18 AM   #24
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
I'll be adding a tool that can help. You'll never know on the first race run any day on each surface, but I'll post a chart and you can compare the time to the race rating and get a rough idea.

Beyond that, I think there is still some value. On the blog post I mention two races run two days apart at MVR, both fast tracks, one rate a 1 and one rated a 10. If you see the horse has run unexpectedly bad on one of the two, I think that is probably a valid excuse and you can put a line through it.

I also happen to think most seasoned handicappers can figure out when tracks are fudging the condition a bit based on past experience.
I agree from a race/pace line selection. Look forward to more info.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-29-2019, 01:57 PM   #25
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

A good example was Bricks and Mortars win. If you believe the time, and I'm going to try to time it from video, there is no way the outer part of the Gulfstream course (used for the Pegasus Turf only) was yielding. The inside for the other races, yes, but not that one.
Old 01-30-2019, 11:57 PM   #26
Niko

DRF making it way more difficult than it should be

Longer post but context is important.

Me to DRF: I was a previous TF customer prior to DRF acquiring them so my accounts are not linked up and I can't figure out a way to do it. Same was true with just the regular drf.com website.

On the old DRF bets website, I was able to get credit for any Timeform US products if I bet on the track through DRF.

Because the old drfbets platform is not available anymore, I purchased a TF race card for Gulfstream this last weekend. It said I didn't have an account set up. I bought it anyway to see what would happen. As of yet, I haven't received the $3.50 credit back to my account after betting on GP that day.

How do I resolve this or do I just pay for TF on its own if I want to use the product now? Any way to link all 3 accounts under one account number and password? Thanks.

DRF reply:At this time the only way to get a refund for the TFUS PP is to purchase and wager at least $5 on the old site. Since you were not aware of this we have issued a credit of $3.50 to your MasterCard for the PP’s that were purchased on 1/20/19.

I didn't respond but in my head;

1) Great customer service getting a quick response with an explanation and credit.
2) 2nd time I inquired about linking up existing DRF accounts, still can't be done. Why?? I don't want to create a new email address and new accounts for DRF. I don't have to do that with BRIS/Twinspires.
3) They basically told me that with the new drfbets website, my only option for free PP's are DRF PP's, if I bet $5 or more on the track that day. Can't use my DRF PP credits for TF either. They don't want me using TF unless I'm willing to pay a premium, no credit for bets (not as profitable?) It's a shame as costs add up quickly to play the game on top of high takeouts.
Niko is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-31-2019, 09:43 AM   #27
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

I'm going to forward this on to my boss and see what he can do.
Old 01-31-2019, 09:37 PM   #28
Niko

Thanks, CJ. TF has always been my default and I'll still buy it on big days. I'd just be a bit more selective. Tells you how my betting is going , but somewhat expected with the time I have to put into it nowadays.
Old 02-01-2019, 11:44 AM   #29
KingChas
2 outta 3 aint bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niko View Post
On the old DRF bets website, I was able to get credit for any Timeform US products if I bet on the track through DRF.

Because the old drfbets platform is not available anymore

I still can get to the old platform,try this link.

https://drfbets.xb-online.com/xbo/MWP_Login.aspx
KingChas is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-01-2019, 12:02 PM   #30
Niko

Thanks KingChas. I didn't bother looking hard enough as I figured the old drfbets would be going away soon enough.

CJ had someone at DRF help me out. Of course, CJ went above and beyond as he always does for PaceAdvantage members.

It's nice to have someone looking out for their long-term customers.