Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 12-22-2018, 08:06 PM   #16
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Maryland racing posts all replays on YouTube.
I saw that. But it wasn't up yet when I checked just after the race. BTW if anyone gets a chance to see owner Bob Bone's tweet about the incident it's humbling how much class he showed.

Evidently he was watching the track feed and what they were showing was the upper stretch not nearing the wire where the interference took place.

In his tweet he took the high road when he would have been totally justified in complaining for several reasons.

I've had the pleasure of knowing Bob for many years. We actually owned a few horses together.

You'll never find a guy with more class, devotion and dedication to racing.
Old 12-22-2018, 09:20 PM   #17
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
I saw that. But it wasn't up yet when I checked just after the race. BTW if anyone gets a chance to see owner Bob Bone's tweet about the incident it's humbling how much class he showed.

Evidently he was watching the track feed and what they were showing was the upper stretch not nearing the wire where the interference took place.

In his tweet he took the high road when he would have been totally justified in complaining for several reasons.

I've had the pleasure of knowing Bob for many years. We actually owned a few horses together.

You'll never find a guy with more class, devotion and dedication to racing.
There used to be nothing more deadly than a Bone horse claimed by Mullins.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-22-2018, 11:10 PM   #18
ZippyChippy423
Veteran

The 8 horse clearly came over and impeded the 5 horses path. BTW the judges made a unanimous decision on that nothing to debate .
ZippyChippy423 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-23-2018, 12:37 AM   #19
horses4courses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
I agree.
Occasionally we are of like mind

I had no dog in that fight.
No issues here with that call.
chance of returning to the WH, assuming that
he can manage to stay out of prison. Think about it.
horses4courses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-23-2018, 12:52 PM   #20
Afleet

seen that happen many times w/no change
Afleet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-23-2018, 01:31 PM   #21
Hambletonian

Seriously Vic, the worse DQ ever?

You have been around since Hector was a pup and you never saw a worse DQ?

They made the right call, the horse on the lead was staggering around and he put the inside horse in tight late. And in the head on it looks like the jock on the lead was trying to tighten up on the rail horse.

Considering the closeness of the race, it was absolutely the right call.
Hambletonian is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-23-2018, 01:35 PM   #22
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambletonian View Post
Seriously Vic, the worse DQ ever?

You have been around since Hector was a pup and you never saw a worse DQ?

They made the right call, the horse on the lead was staggering around and he put the inside horse in tight late. And in the head on it looks like the jock on the lead was trying to tighten up on the rail horse.

Considering the closeness of the race, it was absolutely the right call.
What can I say?

Wait! I know!

READ THE THREAD!!!
Old 12-23-2018, 01:53 PM   #23
Andy Asaro

I woulda left him up. The less human intervention the better IMO.

And maybe not in this particular case but when you give Jocks a chance to do a little acting instead of riding hard to the finish a lot of them will do the acting.

Last edited by Andy Asaro; 12-23-2018 at 01:59 PM.
Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-23-2018, 06:14 PM   #24
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Asaro View Post
I woulda left him up. The less human intervention the better IMO.

And maybe not in this particular case but when you give Jocks a chance to do a little acting instead of riding hard to the finish a lot of them will do the acting.
Couple of things I'd like to share with all of you. First, when conducting an inquiry for the purposes of "placings" Stewards DO NOT look at the actions of the jockeys at all. Their actions and or intentions are completely irrelevant.

We watch the horses, their paths, action, momentum and chances of achieving the best possible finish position.

Fans tend to get entirely too wrapped up in what the offender (race riding) or fouled horse (acting) do and both are meaningless.

Another thing that tends to happen is people look to see if a horse committed a foul rather than was a horse fouled.

EVERY horse is entitled to a clear and unobstructed path. When a horse is put in very tight quarters I always gave the benefit of the doubt to the bothered horse. It's as if they were an innocent bystander.

I always told riders that in 150 years of pari-mutual racing there has never been a horse DQ'ed that ran straight. Don't give me or my fellow stewards the opportunity to make a bad call. Again remember we tend to give the benefit of the doubt to the bothered horse.

In this case it's very reasonable to surmise the inside horse could have won the race without being impeded. Ask yourself how you would feel if you owned or made a big bet on the inside horse? Would you feel it was fair to leave it alone given the race your horse ran or was trying to run?

Last edited by v j stauffer; 12-23-2018 at 06:15 PM.
v j stauffer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-23-2018, 06:15 PM   #25
Andy Asaro

Quote:
Couple of things I'd like to share with all of you. First, when conducting an inquiry for the purposes of "placings" Stewards DO NOT look at the actions of the jockeys at all. Their actions and or intentions are completely irrelevant.

We watch the horses, their paths, action, momentum and chances of achieving the best possible finish position.

Fans tend to get entirely too wrapped up in what the offender (race riding) or fouled horse (acting) do and both are meaningless.

Another thing that tends to happen is people look to see if a horse committed a foul rather than was a horse fouled.

EVERY horse is entitled to a clear and unobstructed path. When a horse is put in very tight quarters I always gave the benefit of the doubt to the bothered horse. It's as if they were an innocent bystander.

I always told riders that in 150 years of pari-mutual racing there has never been a horse DQ'ed that ran straight. Don't give me of my fellow stewards the opportunity to make a bad call. Again remember we tend to give the benefit of the doubt to the bothered horse.

In this case it's very reasonable to surmise the inside horse could have won the race without being impeded. Ask yourself how you would feel if you owned or made a big bet on the inside horse? Would you feel it was fair to leave it alone given the race your horse ran or was trying to run?
Of all people you have to explain this to me.
Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-23-2018, 06:35 PM   #26
v j stauffer

Quote:
Yours was the most recent post. My words were for everyone. I'm not sure what you mean by your statement. I'm VERY sure I don't care.
Old 12-23-2018, 07:00 PM   #27
v j stauffer

Quote:
Why does it ALWAYS have to be about me? I was contributing to the thread. I said NOTHING to or about you. It's the holidays. Can't you just chill?
Old 12-23-2018, 10:55 PM   #28
bobphilo

Quote:
Check out the 2nd race today at Laurel. Taken down and placed 2nd behind who was on the inside.

I saw the coverage live on TVG so I don't have a link. I'm sure CJ will bust my balls for that.

If someone can find and post it you WILL NOT BELIEVE they took that horse down. Really bad.
Might be hard to tell from the pan shot where it looks like the 5 trying to push through a tight hole, but the head-on clearly shows the 8 coming in on the 5, that was getting to the 8, and actually making contact with the 5 shortly before the wire. Fair DQ.
bobphilo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-23-2018, 11:13 PM   #29
bobphilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobphilo View Post
Might be hard to tell from the pan shot where it looks like the 5 trying to push through a tight hole, but the head-on clearly shows the 8 coming in on the 5, that was getting to the 8, and actually making contact with the 5 shortly before the wire. Fair DQ.
Congrats to v.j. for having the stones to correct himself after further review from a better angle.
bobphilo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-28-2018, 06:34 AM   #30
ZippyChippy423
Veteran

Quote:

I always told riders that in 150 years of pari-mutual racing there has never been a horse DQ'ed that ran straight. Don't give me or my fellow stewards the opportunity to make a bad call. Again remember we tend to give the benefit of the doubt to the bothered horse.

I have seen many DQ’s over the years that exclusively had to do with a jockeys action. Several to be specific had to do with JOCKEYS misuse of whips. Also there have been dq’s because of one jockey trying to hit/ kick etc another jockey while racing. One jockey threw his googles at another horse ...dq! None of these instances were initiated by the horse.
ZippyChippy423 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply