Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 12-24-2018, 09:12 PM   #61
Spalding No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
Asaro can't be banned from here. How else are we to be kept abreast of all the tweeter developments?
Careful with your wording, just as some on here attribute only one meaning to the word "intercourse" (post #57--ironic when you consider Heinz), there's a good possibility that "abreast" may give some people the wrong idea...
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-24-2018, 09:55 PM   #62
ultracapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
For many years there were places right across the street for horse racing related intercourse.

I think you might have wanted to say discourse?
Thank you!

I am the degenerate gambler with all the trappings.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-24-2018, 10:32 PM   #63
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

I had to clean up this thread. I don't like cleaning up threads.

Some of you (well, one of you, really), is on EXTRA SPECIAL thin ice.

And you've been banned before (not talking about you Vic), so we're talking micrometer-thin.

Bear this in mind, if you care. If you don't, even better.
Old 12-24-2018, 10:48 PM   #64
Buckeye
Smarty Pants

On Friday nights it started at 10pm Eastern Time and went until 2 in the morning.

That being said, I really don't miss it that much since I need my sleep.

Hollywood was one of the pioneers of simulcasting across the country.
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-27-2018, 12:21 PM   #65
Someday Silent

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
I think Woodman's Luck recently retired. However just a few weeks ago another horse that was in the final race, ANYTHINGSCOOKIN, raced at GGF. He's a 9 year old now.
Since Woodman's Luck is 10 going on 11, I assumed he probably was retired. I hope he's enjoying a new life. Thanks for sharing that bit of information about Anythingscookin.
Someday Silent is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-27-2018, 03:57 PM   #66
jocko699
Resurrectionist

I saw Landaluce win the Lassie by 21 in 108 flat. She is still the greatest filly I have ever seen run.

I remember as a teenager I was down to my last $10. I put it on Bicks a Kick in the last race only because it was 2 turns and Meza was on him. He was using a special stick at the time. I was at the 1/8 pole and Meza led the whole race and the last call was "Bicks a Kick in front!" He was 50-1 and got back over $500. A lot of money for me back then and my buddy's MG broke down right outside the track on Prairie Ave, lol. His Dad drove down from Palos Verde and towed us back to Torrance.
jocko699 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-27-2018, 04:29 PM   #67
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko699 View Post
I saw Landaluce win the Lassie by 21 in 108 flat. She is still the greatest filly I have ever seen run.

I remember as a teenager I was down to my last $10. I put it on Bicks a Kick in the last race only because it was 2 turns and Meza was on him. He was using a special stick at the time. I was at the 1/8 pole and Meza led the whole race and the last call was "Bicks a Kick in front!" He was 50-1 and got back over $500. A lot of money for me back then and my buddy's MG broke down right outside the track on Prairie Ave, lol. His Dad drove down from Palos Verde and towed us back to Torrance.
I didn't see Landaluce, but I did see Melair bury Snow Chief in 1:32 and change. And I saw Dahlia as a little kid.

But the best filly I ever saw was Zenyatta.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-27-2018, 04:32 PM   #68
v j stauffer

Quote:

That is a GREAT story. When I was 15 before I had a driver's licence, I took my dads Trans Am to Santa Anita. We lived in San Diego. Blew every bit of my cash. Had to dine n dash at Bob's Big Boy in Pasadena. Had to gas n dash in Tustin. You could still do that in those days. Got pulled over in San Clemente, still don't know why. As the CHP dude was coming to the car he got another call and left. Got home about 20 minutes before my mom who noticed the hood of the car was warm. Told her I was working on the engine. Ho hum. Average day for a guy that was going to spend the next 45 years at the races.
Old 12-29-2018, 09:39 PM   #69
TurfRuler

Did the City of Inglewood get a change of name since the Rams and Chargers started playing there? I've never heard the same criticism of Inglewood when the Lakers were at the Forum just a few parking lots from Hollywood Park. I've never been to Pimlico but I still want to go there. Hollywood Park holds a lot of nostalgia for me during my years living and working in different parts of Los Angeles including Hollywood and the downtown areas.
TurfRuler is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-30-2018, 12:30 PM   #70
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurfRuler View Post
Did the City of Inglewood get a change of name since the Rams and Chargers started playing there? I've never heard the same criticism of Inglewood when the Lakers were at the Forum just a few parking lots from Hollywood Park. I've never been to Pimlico but I still want to go there. Hollywood Park holds a lot of nostalgia for me during my years living and working in different parts of Los Angeles including Hollywood and the downtown areas.
The Forum and Hollywood Park were never any more dangerous than comparable facilities.

The thing is, black people live nearby. And a lot of people just assume that any majority black neighborhood is a bad one. It's a classic example of structural racism. Even Jesse Jackson once admitted that when he saw a guy approaching him on the street at night and he realized it was a white guy, he would feel relieved.

So people would drive by the black residents and the soul food restaurants and assume the crime rate was much higher than it actually was.
Old 12-30-2018, 01:41 PM   #71
ronsmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
The Forum and Hollywood Park were never any more dangerous than comparable facilities.

The thing is, black people live nearby. And a lot of people just assume that any majority black neighborhood is a bad one. It's a classic example of structural racism. Even Jesse Jackson once admitted that when he saw a guy approaching him on the street at night and he realized it was a white guy, he would feel relieved.

So people would drive by the black residents and the soul food restaurants and assume the crime rate was much higher than it actually was.
I thought Dr. Dre said Inglewood was always up to no good.
ronsmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-30-2018, 01:44 PM   #72
oughtoh

Quote:

I also saw Landaluce win that day too. I have a large picture of her in my house. As for Hollywood Park for me, that is where my oldest daughter always wanted to go for her birthday. She loved being in a box there with the trainers in their boxes right around her. She comments every birthday, she is now 22, how much she misses doing that for her birthday,
oughtoh is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-30-2018, 11:58 PM   #73
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsmac View Post
I thought Dr. Dre said Inglewood was always up to no good.
What did he know? He was from Compton. lol

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: