Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 08-30-2017, 10:39 AM   #1
ICR

BRISNET or DRF ?

BRISNET or DRF ?

OK, I know this is like Coke or Pepsi …. Or Nikon or Canon …. ( or even Ginger or Mary Ann ) ….
But which do most prefer and why ?

Does one offer more info, is one more accurate… are Beyer numbers better or worse than Bris Speed Figs ?
Would like to hear your thoughts

Thanks
ICR is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-30-2017, 11:04 AM   #2
GMB@BP

Neither.

Timeform US is a superior product in just about every way, the information is better at a much better value.

The only thing I would say is that DRF Formulator is a tool that has features you cannot get with Timeform and is a little better for making notes of cards and races. But it is pricey. Also, Timeform PP’s expire the night of the racing so you can’t look at the past performances you purchased after the date.

But the pace and final, and the adjusted figures are just better. I think their charts are better. I think their trainer ratings are better that they generate.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-30-2017, 12:06 PM   #3
linrom1
Veteran

RACE Stats Lens is the best. Basic DRF is a fine product; there are features that Bris offers that are superior to DRF such as AEI Index and sire progeny stats, it's almost FREE but it also has very poor quality control.
linrom1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-30-2017, 12:33 PM   #4
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrom1 View Post
RACE Stats Lens is the best. Basic DRF is a fine product; there are features that Bris offers that are superior to DRF such as AEI Index and sire progeny stats, it's almost FREE but it also has very poor quality control.
Why is Race Stats Lens the best?
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-30-2017, 12:55 PM   #5
betovernetcapper

I get the bulk of my data from HTR and the are the best. Now having said that I also use the Formulator from time to time for long range trainer stats & I like the layout of the DRF. I grew up using the DRF & I've grown accustomed to the layout. When I began using it you had to open the paper & then tear it in half. That was a long time ago.
I think TimeForm US is really elegantly done but I haven't developed a real feel for it yet.
The Lens product might be good but I don't have the energy or desire to go through the learning curve.
In answer to your question the Beyer figs are better then the Bris figs. Now if you want to compare the Beyer figs to TimeForm or Cramer figs it's not as cut and dried as the Beyer fig only reflects the final time & the other figures reflect additional aspects of the race like pace.
Ya pays your money & ya takes your choice.

My posts & letters & avatars & whatever reflect solely my own world view- Born in 1948 and never an I.C.E. visit
betovernetcapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-30-2017, 01:20 PM   #6
letswastemoney

BRIS PPs are free if you know where to look. That has to count for something.
letswastemoney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-30-2017, 01:48 PM   #7
linrom1
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
Why is Race Stats Lens the best?
It has all the features of FORMULATOR and pace projections like TIMEFORM and True Odds algorithm; but, it's more expansive.

Personally I use Equibase Premium PPs. It's less expansive than basic DRF and Ultimate Bris PPs, and it has great Pace and Speed figures along with unique Turf Stats that separate fast and wet track conditions. In addition like Fromulator, it's linked to chart history BUT it also offers European race chart history and I also like how it's presented visually on the computer screen.

Since I mostly handicap stake race cards at $2.50/per card it's fair, I've also grown fond of it and since Equibase took over chart calling business, I find it more dependable than rest.
linrom1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-30-2017, 02:02 PM   #8
jasperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICR View Post
BRISNET or DRF ?

OK, I know this is like Coke or Pepsi …. Or Nikon or Canon …. ( or even Ginger or Mary Ann ) ….
But which do most prefer and why ?

Does one offer more info, is one more accurate… are Beyer numbers better or worse than Bris Speed Figs ?
Would like to hear your thoughts

Thanks
When bris first started up they had both their's and beyers speed figures. Sometimes beyers was better and sometimes bris was better. I couldn't tell which one was the better and didn't do a long term study of them. I use either one which ever I have available.
I will take Mary Ann.
jasperson is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-30-2017, 04:09 PM   #9
ldiatone

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
Neither.

Timeform US is a superior product in just about every way, the information is better at a much better value.

The only thing I would say is that DRF Formulator is a tool that has features you cannot get with Timeform and is a little better for making notes of cards and races. But it is pricey. Also, Timeform PP’s expire the night of the racing so you can’t look at the past performances you purchased after the date.

But the pace and final, and the adjusted figures are just better. I think their charts are better. I think their trainer ratings are better that they generate.
? now i am just asking. why do you think TimeformUS is so superior to drf or bris? what do you think the differences are?
thanks

and now in Lancaster, CA.
ldiatone is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-30-2017, 04:20 PM   #10
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrom1 View Post
It has all the features of FORMULATOR and pace projections like TIMEFORM and True Odds algorithm; but, it's more expansive.

Personally I use Equibase Premium PPs. It's less expansive than basic DRF and Ultimate Bris PPs, and it has great Pace and Speed figures along with unique Turf Stats that separate fast and wet track conditions. In addition like Fromulator, it's linked to chart history BUT it also offers European race chart history and I also like how it's presented visually on the computer screen.

Since I mostly handicap stake race cards at $2.50/per card it's fair, I've also grown fond of it and since Equibase took over chart calling business, I find it more dependable than rest.

If you think the pace and speed figures at Equibase are great, I'll just say good luck.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-30-2017, 05:10 PM   #11
ldiatone

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
If you think the pace and speed figures at Equibase are great, I'll just say good luck.
hi cj you to, and why do you think the figs are better? just asking
and let me throw this out does one think the figs are relative to each other??
drf, bris, T.US, TM, HDW,

Old 08-30-2017, 05:36 PM   #12
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldiatone View Post
hi cj you to, and why do you think the figs are better? just asking
and let me throw this out does one think the figs are relative to each other??
drf, bris, T.US, TM, HDW,
I've studied a lot of different figures available probably as closely as anyone. Most do a good job. I have not seen much of HDW or Trackmaster. Equibase, to be frank, stink. Here is a link to the best speed figures of the year:

http://www.equibase.com/static/statistics/eleaders.html

Until Saturday's Travers, Gormley was the top 3yo and even now he is one point behind. Gormley. And it came in the Sham stakes in January.

Richard's Boy is the second fastest dirt sprinter in the country.

There are lots like that, and it gets even worse as you go further down the class ladder. They don't get any human input I don't believe and they miss a lot of things.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-30-2017, 06:00 PM   #13
ldiatone

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
I've studied a lot of different figures available probably as closely as anyone. Most do a good job. I have not seen much of HDW or Trackmaster. Equibase, to be frank, stink. Here is a link to the best speed figures of the year:

http://www.equibase.com/static/statistics/eleaders.html

Until Saturday's Travers, Gormley was the top 3yo and even now he is one point behind. Gormley. And it came in the Sham stakes in January.

Richard's Boy is the second fastest dirt sprinter in the country.

There are lots like that, and it gets even worse as you go further down the class ladder. They don't get any human input I don't believe and they miss a lot of things.
well i do think TM and Equibase are the same speed figures. some one will correct me if i am wrong. thanks for the input.

Old 08-30-2017, 06:30 PM   #14
RunForTheRoses

TM and equibase are same.

Even though beyers are flawed they have a human looking at them and I don't think bris does. You get some obvious off numbers with bris. For free they're not bad if you want to casually play. I like to get drf classic or formulator and tfus.

Stats lens has so much stuff and I'm not sure what is put into those stats. Bad stats can throw you off but I might give them another chance as they are the one perk with tvg

Last edited by RunForTheRoses; 08-30-2017 at 06:31 PM.
RunForTheRoses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-30-2017, 07:20 PM   #15
ldiatone

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunForTheRoses View Post
TM and equibase are same.

Even though beyers are flawed they have a human looking at them and I don't think bris does. You get some obvious off numbers with bris. For free they're not bad if you want to casually play. I like to get drf classic or formulator and tfus.

Stats lens has so much stuff and I'm not sure what is put into those stats. Bad stats can throw you off but I might give them another chance as they are the one perk with tvg
now isnt Stats lens supported by Trackmaster? you can buy it on there site. is it there program?

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: