Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 12-08-2020, 11:46 AM   #1
Valuist

Richie Allen

RIP. An amazing talent. Never forget how he took a 1972 White Sox rag tag bunch and contended with a great Oakland team. He also became an agent for Angel Cordero, and was instrumental in John Velasquez coming to NY from Puerto Rico.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-08-2020, 04:58 PM   #2
oughtoh

Loved seeing him hit. Would always go early and watch batting practice when players like him were in town. It is hard to see all these baseball players that I watched years ago pass away. Guess I am just at that age. RIP
oughtoh is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-08-2020, 05:54 PM   #3
Marshall Bennett

Great hitter. RIP tough guy.
Marshall Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-08-2020, 07:39 PM   #4
Wiley
Horse Racing Connossieur

I think Allen used a 40 or 42 ounce bat. I was always amazed at how fast he could turn on a ball with that club and even with a huge hitch in his swing. Great power hitter played one year with the Cardinals so got to see him play in a few live games. He did strikeout a lot too. RIP
Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-09-2020, 07:16 AM   #5
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

I don't think I knew that part about his connection to racing.
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-09-2020, 07:37 AM   #6
Johnny V

Hated to see the guy come up to bat. Tore up my team. Played tough. Booed him all the time. Mucho respect. RIP. to a fine baseball player.
Johnny V is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-09-2020, 10:42 AM   #7
FakeNameChanged

Born in little Wampum, Pa. and never left there, just north of Pittsburgh. He hit some of the hardest balls I've ever seen hit, along with Greg Luzinsky and Willie Stargell.
Old 12-09-2020, 04:25 PM   #8
garyscpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeNameChanged View Post
Born in little Wampum, Pa. and never left there, just north of Pittsburgh. He hit some of the hardest balls I've ever seen hit, along with Greg Luzinsky and Willie Stargell.
Except for the time you stepped on that rake coming out of the sand trap.
garyscpa is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-13-2020, 07:25 PM   #9
ElKabong

that year he was carrying the sox I was a skinny 16yo wondering "how does a human get muscles like that"

Incredible specimen. When he wanted to, he could hit
“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,” -Joe Biden
ElKabong is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-15-2020, 11:43 AM   #10
FakeNameChanged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiley View Post
I think Allen used a 40 or 42 ounce bat. I was always amazed at how fast he could turn on a ball with that club and even with a huge hitch in his swing. Great power hitter played one year with the Cardinals so got to see him play in a few live games. He did strikeout a lot too. RIP
And Greg Luzinski, who looked like a middle linebacker, off-season used one of the lighter bats IIRC. My BIL, who was a recognized baseball memorabilia expert around Philadelphia owned one or two of Ruth's bats. They were huge, with very thick handles, 42 oz., although he went lighter late in his career.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: