Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 09-18-2023, 10:01 AM   #1
Inner Dirt

What are your pet peeves?

My biggest one has always been people who park right next to you when there are a half dozen open spaces on either side. The worst place was when I lived in Hemet Ca, which was full of retirees. One time I had some old geezer, who is probably close to how old I am now , park his battered land yacht right next to my 1970 454 SS Chevelle that in 1980 was in pristine condition, not even a door ding. There wasn't another car within 50 yards, I always parked way away from people on purpose. When I asked this asshole why he parked next to me he said he should punch me in the nose.

I almost felt like telling him to go ahead, so I could punch him back, I just got in my car and moved it. I was also so tempted to wait till he went inside the store and flatten all his tires.

I saw some real crazy crap from people who should have given up driving long ago. It does seem parking on top of people is not limited to seniors. As a young man it pissed me off because I had classic cars or trucks I kept nice
and I did not want door dings, now as a semi disabled old geezer I need space to get in and out.

I have at least a half dozen more peeves or so, but that is the big one.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-18-2023, 10:12 AM   #2
Tor Ekman

Mine is a similar concept, but only at the beach. When we would go to the beach with the kids, my wife and I would intentionally set up far away from other beachgoers and it would drive me crazy that with an entire expanse of beach available, some other family would set up right next to us!!! . . . and I'm not talking about the beach gradually filling up and the buffer spaces naturally get taken . . . shit like that would drive me crazy
Tor Ekman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-18-2023, 10:42 AM   #3
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tor Ekman View Post
Mine is a similar concept, but only at the beach. When we would go to the beach with the kids, my wife and I would intentionally set up far away from other beachgoers and it would drive me crazy that with an entire expanse of beach available, some other family would set up right next to us!!! . . . and I'm not talking about the beach gradually filling up and the buffer spaces naturally get taken . . . shit like that would drive me crazy

There were times when I used to go to the beach a lot but I never noticed people doing that, probably because I went alone or just with one friend, and never in any group. I also moved around a lot, boogie boarding, body surfing, jogging, etc, not setting up camp.
Old 09-18-2023, 01:21 PM   #4
mountainman

1)People that drive aggressively because it's their only outlet of expression.

2) Smokers that sling butts all over creation, secure in the knowledge that somebody else will clean them up.

3) Large, lucrative businesses that ask me to contribute (anonymously) to charities of their choice so as to enhance THEIR image, while simultaneously requiring me to fork over 3x what that double burger is worth.

4) Products that I can't open without risking serious injury to myself.

5) Horseplayers who selectively inquire (after the race) as to what horse you bet on in races they know they hit. It never seems to occur to them that this skews the comparing of selections a bit in their favor. Or maybe it does..

6) Gossip

7) Fat guys in clingy shirts

8) Religious folks that assume non-believers are merely empty vessels in need of spiritual nourishment

9) San Diego

10) Spoiled pets

11) Sports analysts that talk in the second person, as if their commentary stands as unquestionable fact.

12) Chicks that pointedly invoke the hubby within three sentences of casual conversation. Hey, lady, I'm not hitting on you.

13) Work politics

14) People that intrude on my affairs. Stay out of business, because I guarantee I'll stay out of yours. Burying bodies under your porch? Right next door to me in broad daylight? NOT my business.

15) Unauthorized pop-ups designed to peddle something. People who invade the computers of others deserve imprisonment. In some third world country. Forever.

Last edited by mountainman; 09-18-2023 at 01:33 PM.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-18-2023, 01:28 PM   #5
Bustin Stones

“I don’t gripe to you, Reiben,” Miller explains. “I’m a captain. There’s a chain of command. Gripes go up, not down. Always up. You gripe to me. I gripe to my superior officer, so on, so on, and so on. I don’t gripe to you. I don’t gripe in front of you." (Saving Private Ryan)
(my superior is my wife)
Bustin Stones is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-18-2023, 01:31 PM   #6
Tor Ekman

Certain women who insist on jamming themselves into yoga pants in public. Nobody needs to be seeing that!!!
Old 09-18-2023, 01:48 PM   #7
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tor Ekman View Post
Certain women who insist on jamming themselves into yoga pants in public. Nobody needs to be seeing that!!!

You need to clarify that. By jamming do you mean they are not shapely, or even the shapely ones because you are afraid your wife will catch you looking
and go upside your head? I recently became single so if a woman wants to show off her figure who am I not to admire it. I am discrete, no cat calling or drooling.
Old 09-18-2023, 01:57 PM   #8
Tor Ekman

The chubby (to put it politely) ones who have no business foisting their figures upon us . . . Yoga pants are a privilege not a right!!!
Old 09-18-2023, 02:10 PM   #9
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Democrats
Old 09-18-2023, 02:15 PM   #10
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post

2) Smokers that sling butts all over creation, secure in the knowledge that somebody else will clean them up.

3) Large, lucrative businesses that ask me to contribute (anonymously) to charities of their choice so as to enhance THEIR image, while simultaneously requiring me to fork over 3x what that double burger is worth.

5) Horseplayers who selectively inquire (after the race) as to what horse you bet on in races they know they hit. It never seems to occur to them that this skews the comparing of selections a bit in their favor. Or maybe it does..

6) Gossip

7) Fat guys in clingy shirts

8) Religious folks that assume non-believers are merely empty vessels in need of spiritual nourishment

9) San Diego

10) Spoiled pets

11) Sports analysts that talk in the second person, as if their commentary stands as unquestionable fact.

12) Chicks that pointedly invoke the hubby within three sentences of casual conversation. Hey, lady, I'm not hitting on you.

13) Work politics

14) People that intrude on my affairs. Stay out of business, because I guarantee I'll stay out of yours. Burying bodies under your porch? Right next door to me in broad daylight? NOT my business.

15) Unauthorized pop-ups designed to peddle something. People who invade the computers of others deserve imprisonment. In some third world country. Forever.

#2. Definitely agree, I have had people on my property throw cigarette butts on the ground and stamp them out in front of me and leave them there like it was nothing.

#3. Never encountered that one.

#4. Packaging, especially plastic film packages are obviously harder to open than back in the day. Now with two bum shoulders, a carpal tunnel wrist, and a couple knuckles permanently damaged from gout I hate that crap. That is why I own too many pocket and utility knives to count. I even have 3 in my vehicle.

#9. What is wrong with San Diego? I haven't been there in 20-25 years, but probably will go there in November or December to visit my aunt and cousin.

#10. Defined spoiled, I love animals more than people as a whole unless you are a poisonous snake that gets too close to my house or shop, then you will be killed. I risked my ass to save a horse that got tangled in a chain, due to my girlfriend's sister using it to tie him to a tree. The only sustained injury to him was a cut up ankle. I was injured later not knowing proper technique changing his bandage, I learned my lesson. I ended up with a hoof print in my chest and a rib injury. I think I would have rather taken a couple George Foreman body shots than that horse kick.

#13. Work place politics, amazing how some people can use that to thrive in work environments when they are 100% useless employees. Some work places are more prone to it than others. I saw a lot of it in a couple large manufacturing facilities I worked in.

Last edited by Inner Dirt; 09-18-2023 at 02:17 PM.
Old 09-18-2023, 02:47 PM   #11
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post

Democrats

Shocked that it took till post 9 for someone to mention them. My aunt is a Democrat and a decent person, you can even discuss politics with her in an adult manner. Like me her political views haven't changed in 50+ years. She is 75, I am 62 but been following politics since I was 7. I call people like her a JFK Democrat, of course JFK would poll in single digits with your typical Democrats today, you know progressive idiots, progressing toward insanity,
if they are not already there.

My nearest neighbor is a Democrat, he is a retired USPS supervisor, to boot.
Unlike Cliffy, he is not a life long apartment dweller, with no skills or useful knowledge. His big issue in voting is the right to choose. He is a good guy
and also has a tractor with all the attachments. He dug my trench to my well so I could rewire and re-plumb it and spread the gravel for my driveway. He even tried to refuse payment until I threaten him with bodily harm.

I will be hiring him to help me replace 1/2 or more of the drywall in the house from my replacing all the plumbing and the poor original work dry walling the ceilings.

You would never know the guy was a Democrat by talking to him.
Old 09-18-2023, 03:12 PM   #12
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
I was going to say riders based (several mounts a day since opening day) at a track with a pronounced bias.

Doesn't matter what the bias is. It can be dead rail/live rail. Or speed favoring/speed tiring, etc.

My pet peeve is:

Riders who purposely give their mounts against the grain trips.

For example, sending pressers or sustained horses hard early and crossing over to secure an obviously dead rail.

Or taking need the lead horses well back and asking in vain for late run (not just today but frequently throughout a meet) when conditions are obviously speed favoring.

Imo, if you're riding there day in day out you should have some idea as to what constitutes an ideal trip.

In other words:

Riders who frequently give their mounts the polar opposite of an ideal trip given prevailing conditions.

Quote:

9) San Diego

Re: The above --
Four or five days a week I walk out my door and go for a run in the deep sand along Mission Bay.

Every once in a while I'll stop and take some pics. The two below (one with a zoom and one without) were taken a little before sunset about a mile from my place on Del Mar's closing day.

I have to ask:

What do you have against San Diego? (Is there a story there?)

-jp

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg DelMarClosingDay.jpeg (293.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpeg DelMarClosingDay2.jpeg (464.0 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by Jeff P; 09-18-2023 at 03:16 PM.
Jeff P is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-18-2023, 03:29 PM   #13
classhandicapper

Quote:

People that speed up to not allow you to get over when they can see you have your blinker on and need to switch lanes.

Those plastic ones are a pain in the butt

That includes a few TV racing folks (not you).

Or boyfriend

13) Work politics

Merit has been cancelled.

We have quite a few in common.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 09-18-2023 at 03:33 PM.
classhandicapper is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-18-2023, 03:33 PM   #14
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff P View Post

I have to ask:

What do you have against San Diego? (Is there a story there?)

-jp

Ok, I came up with one, power boat racing on Mission Bay. I went once about 30 years ago. First and last boat race I ever attended and I am a racing junkie, 4 legged, two legged, two wheels, 4 wheels. When I lived in SoCal I always attended wiener dog racing night at Los Al instead of betting on TVG.

Then then there is San Ysidro a major shit hole.

Boat racing is as exciting as watching paint dry.
Old 09-18-2023, 03:33 PM   #15
classhandicapper

People that try to impose their will on others. That goes double for billionaires that made a lot of money in one field thinking that makes them an expert at all things and then using their money and power to impose their will in other areas on everyone else.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 09-18-2023 at 03:34 PM.
classhandicapper is online now   Reply With Quote Reply