Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 06-21-2023, 01:57 PM   #1
mountainman

Vertex

Got text several nites back from a certain "joe conte," who, as it turns out, served as editor for the old American Turf Monthy. Apparently, the man also penned well received articles on handicapping under the nom de plume titular to this thread.

So cool. I remember eating up that stuff as a kid and have nearly mythologized that magazine in my mind. Horses to watch..Ray Taulbot...etc...
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-21-2023, 02:37 PM   #2
GaryG
Unreconstructed

The only good thing I got from ATM was Taulbot and his books. T&SD was a much better magazine.
Old 06-21-2023, 03:39 PM   #3
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryG View Post
The only good thing I got from ATM was Taulbot and his books. T&SD was a much better magazine.
I think Taulbot is one of the most underrated authors. That's probably because he also pushed a lot of the those 3-4 rule systems usually associated with people looking for an easy solution. I read one of his books, but at the time I didn't take him seriously enough because of the system stuff.

His insights into pace were pretty far ahead of his time. He was looking for horses that set or chased a fast pace in a competitively run race. He didn't just accept a fast final time figure. His time/distance charts were far from accurate, but I think he had a lot of good ideas.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 06-21-2023 at 03:41 PM.
classhandicapper is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-21-2023, 06:33 PM   #4
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
Got text several nites back from a certain "joe conte," who, as it turns out, served as editor for the old American Turf Monthy. Apparently, the man also penned well received articles on handicapping under the nom de plume titular to this thread.

So cool. I remember eating up that stuff as a kid and have nearly mythologized that magazine in my mind. Horses to watch..Ray Taulbot...etc...
good stuff

Do you remember favorite articles or links?

When I google Joe Vortex Conte I get an index type of thing with some articles listed by Author.
Site has a search function with some Vertex articles resulted ("four clues to a wire-to-wire winner"...) but no links (maybe available with a membership? IDK)

I remember you sending me an article ~2014? , hazy memory may have been American Turf Monthly or may have been something you wrote.

sometimes just reading some of this stuff inspires new ideas

Last edited by Robert Fischer; 06-21-2023 at 06:46 PM.
Robert Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-21-2023, 07:00 PM   #5
porchy44

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post

Felt the same about it. Most people wish they would of kept all of their old baseball cards. I wish I would of kept all of my old "American Turf Monthly".
porchy44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-21-2023, 07:19 PM   #6
lefty359

Quote:
Originally Posted by porchy44 View Post
Felt the same about it. Most people wish they would of kept all of their old baseball cards. I wish I would of kept all of my old "American Turf Monthly".
Me too
I saw my first issue of ATM when I was 16; was fascinated and started
betting horses.
Not long after, Taulbot's Pace Calculator kept me in the black.

I moved to Vegas in 1976. In 78 went back to Ind on vacation and visited
Ellis Pk. The track was muddy every day of my visit until the last day.
I was Down $250. I found what I thought was a best bet and put a $100 on it. It paid 9 bucks and I was in profit.
lefty359 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-21-2023, 07:54 PM   #7
MJC922

Same here, I loved ATM. Fond memories of picking up issues at World Wide News as a kid. A magical time for a young man who loved the game. I don't think I have anything left of my ATM collection except for one issue with Angel Cordero on the cover which I took along with me to Saratoga in the 80's and he autographed it for me.

The only thing I did with Taulbot was borrowed the copy of his old yellow book from the Rundel Library several times. It was pretty good stuff actually. These were the days before I made Beyer style speed figures, you all remember just add the DRF's SR+TV together and presto.

I'm glad to hear Joe Conte is still alive! I think handicapping keeps us young.

Last edited by MJC922; 06-21-2023 at 08:01 PM.
MJC922 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-21-2023, 07:56 PM   #8
GaryG
Unreconstructed

As a teenager I could see that Taulbot was the man. I carried his book Thoroughbred Horse Racing - Playing for Profit with me and read it in class. I was making pace figures and sneaking into the track on Saturdays. Those were good times.
Old 06-21-2023, 08:29 PM   #9
MJC922

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC922 View Post
Same here, I loved ATM. Fond memories of picking up issues at World Wide News as a kid. A magical time for a young man who loved the game. I don't think I have anything left of my ATM collection except for one issue with Angel Cordero on the cover which I took along with me to Saratoga in the 80's and he autographed it for me.

The only thing I did with Taulbot was borrowed the copy of his old yellow book from the Rundel Library several times. It was pretty good stuff actually. These were the days before I made Beyer style speed figures, you all remember just add the DRF's SR+TV together and presto.

I'm glad to hear Joe Conte is still alive! I think handicapping keeps us young.
I dug out the the old copy with Cordero on the cover and my bad it wasn't ATM after all, it was Turf and Sport Digest from April 1983, Angel Cordero, Jockey of the year. There was also a paper around in those days, Racing Star Weekly. Anyone remember that? I think Pandy may have even had a column in there if I recall. It was sold in the grocery stores alongside the DRF.
Old 06-22-2023, 10:14 AM   #10
burnsy
self medicated

I loved that publication. I used to go to Saratoga Library and read it all the time . Straight to the rack hoping no one else was reading it .
burnsy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-22-2023, 01:18 PM   #11
lefty359

Racing Star was also a ATM publications.
Back in the 60's I wrote a couple of systems For ATM
Star also used one of my articles for a give away system for new subs.
They didn't give me a by-line for that one which irritated me. I complained and they sent me a small check but no by-line.
I too wish I saved all that stuff.
lefty359 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-22-2023, 01:27 PM   #12
Robert Fischer
clean money

think this is Joe

Old 06-22-2023, 01:58 PM   #13
GaryG
Unreconstructed

His namesake was a fine handicap horse in the late 50s. Unfortunately from the same crop as Bold Ruler, Gallant Man and Round Table.
Old 06-22-2023, 04:10 PM   #14
affirmedny

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryG View Post
His namesake was a fine handicap horse in the late 50s. Unfortunately from the same crop as Bold Ruler, Gallant Man and Round Table.
17 wins in 25 starts, fine indeed
affirmedny is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-22-2023, 05:35 PM   #15
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

I used to love getting ATM. Looking back, there wasn't very much of use in it to be honest, but it was horse racing so it was cool. Then Horseplayer magazine came along and it was much better in my opinion. I still have every issue that was ever published, including those where they issued seperate east/west editions. I'll have to get them out of the attic, once summer is over that is.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply