Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 10-18-2023, 10:43 AM   #31
classhandicapper

Arcangelo is one of several lightly raced 3yos and one 4yo in the race that could move forward, but in his case the distance almost certainly won't be an issue even if the race is run very competitively.

I think the key to this race is figuring out who is going to fire their "A" race and who could potentially reach a significant new top at 10F on that day.
Old 10-18-2023, 01:34 PM   #32
Someday Silent

Speaking of Arcangelo, why does his trainer get so much praise for keeping him in the barn? Arc’s racing schedule isn’t any different than any other top colt (aka future stallion) trained by Pletcher, Brown, Cox, etc.
Basically they all get one or two G1 wins/placings then hide until Breeders Cup time.
Someday Silent is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-18-2023, 05:22 PM   #33
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
Can you share a link (assuming it is free & public)? I'm half asleep, but would enjoy looking.
assumed it was a free link on one of Brisnet's past performance or main pages, but it turns out I believe to have been a product for sale...

... - Yet completely surprised and grateful that two PA members; Phantom on Tour, and Longshot have reached out to me with generous help on procuring these early bird advanced Past Performances. you guys Rock!

guys check emails sometime if you haven't already read/received the responses.

Appreciate the brotherhood and it's always nice to shine positive light (belief of cool people existing + in the fun and some insight into the Breeder's Cup races).

Doing a blue collar grind on a garden variety Thursday. Tomorrow have some watch-listed horses & some pre-scratch full fields. Hungry and sense of urgency to put lightly.

Last edited by Robert Fischer; 10-18-2023 at 05:24 PM.
Robert Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-18-2023, 08:44 PM   #34
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Someday Silent View Post
Speaking of Arcangelo, why does his trainer get so much praise for keeping him in the barn? Arc’s racing schedule isn’t any different than any other top colt (aka future stallion) trained by Pletcher, Brown, Cox, etc.
Basically they all get one or two G1 wins/placings then hide until Breeders Cup time.
Racing really should look at the incentives for these light campaigns (protecting an established Stallion deal, and the drug withdrawal times that enable an enhancing dosage for training and performance and then being able to pass the testing protocol given a window of time (extra week or so + self-test(s) always wise to be sure).

Superowners for the most part can afford to do less leveraging the campaign for short-term profits (than they currently do).

Superowners already have a near maxed-out concentration of power and influence.

Fans fall in love (or become 'fanatics' for) certain horses that they really enjoy, and these fans love to see at least a medium sized campaign and career before an exit to stud. These fans enjoy prep races. They enjoy the 'rivalries' that spring up organically (think Affirmed vs. Alydar who clashed 10? IIRC ten times! just against each other! not ten total races lol, but 10 times against each other, and not them as an bizarre outlier, but racing has had a reasonably significant amount of other rivalries over 2,3 or more races, etc..)

If a great Netflix series had 1 episode, before changing characters and plots we would be quite terribly dismayed.
Our favorite sports team or individual sport stars would shine bright on their own, but we occasionally take a strong liking to certain stars and we follow their careers, and stats, and even buy their sneakers.... If the stars wised up they'd play half the games, and then take their $10 million guarantee, and Retire! Pursue academia, join a think-tank and simply revel in higher-learning for the rest of their time on Earth.
No longer seeing 'careers', w/ instead, just two years of stardom and exciting potential?
No longer seeing rivalries. No Lakers vs. Celtics and their 12 NBA Finals clashes?
It would be soul-crushing. Quite a dismay! I would slip up and make a late-nigght twitter post about perturbation

Listen mate; we love good horses with full careers, and we love the rivalries!!.

Creates epic experiences, and there's something that just 'clicks' in the old noggin. Attachment? Amygdala that's a part of the brain or something it's also Amy Guinevere Dala... this girl was BEAUTIFUL! back in the day. I was 13 and she was 15... total package! OMG...

anyway, can't ignore how problematic that with the whole the Fan discussion here, that we ( the whole enchilada, the whole shebang ) we're in this together! (da_superfans/players/industry_workers/owners/trainers/breeders/etc...) everyone.
Yet, take a moment to really 'zone-in' and Focus on the Fans and small-to-moderrate horseplayers.
Be in this moment. Let the body do what the body is capable of doing. Be aware of your heartbeat and just 'be' in this moment.

We the fan are a merely small slice of the whole Pizza_Pie. We are a niche in the statue. Powerless but part of the game and tradition.
It probably has to be something where the owners want to make some fan-minded changes (such as the incentives for light campaigns without preps for most and to protect stallion deals for some).
Horse Racing also happens to be under attack in image, and animal ethics.
a Culture of cultivating creating/growing/rewarding a fan base, even small groups at relatively popular tracks and simulcast... This could eventually be a defense against some of the negativity.
Old 10-19-2023, 10:58 AM   #35
LemonSoupKid

Quote:
You know the answer to this.
LemonSoupKid is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-19-2023, 02:26 PM   #36
$w1fT
SaratogaFan1

Quote:
You know why. Yet all we hear and see is videos of him training. That’s awesome. How about running in a race more than once every three months.

Easy to root against on BC day. Everything that’s wrong with modern racing.
$w1fT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-19-2023, 02:46 PM   #37
CheckMark

I heard rumours that the Breeders Cup Classic might not be the last race of the day on Saturday.

It's from one of the gaming newsletters I sub to, and this is what it said. IDK how 100% true this is:

RACING NEWS: This year's Classic will not be the last Breeders' Cup race on Saturday so the big race can better fit into the national television coverage. The official order of races will be announced on Oct. 25. Look for more 3YOs in this big race than ever before.
Old 10-19-2023, 04:52 PM   #38
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheckMark View Post
I heard rumours that the Breeders Cup Classic might not be the last race of the day on Saturday.

It's from one of the gaming newsletters I sub to, and this is what it said. IDK how 100% true this is:

RACING NEWS: This year's Classic will not be the last Breeders' Cup race on Saturday so the big race can better fit into the national television coverage. The official order of races will be announced on Oct. 25. Look for more 3YOs in this big race than ever before.
That "rumour" was announced months ago.
the little guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-19-2023, 05:47 PM   #39
bisket

Forte to Spendthrift
https://paulickreport.com/news/blood...ibextid=Zxz2cZ
bisket is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-19-2023, 08:01 PM   #40
CheckMark

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
That "rumour" was announced months ago.
Ok, I personally didn't know that. Thank you Andy.

That's how much I've been paying attention to the Breeders Cup this year because I didn't know that.
Old 10-19-2023, 08:38 PM   #41
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
More likely to show up in Lexington for his new job.
Bingo. Where do I collect my 2.20?
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-20-2023, 10:09 AM   #42
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

In Kentucky they break to the penny...make that $2.09
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-20-2023, 01:27 PM   #43
Sheffwed

weakness in the Classic ranks +

three thoughts

1) if this does go on to be the weakest Classic group of US horses ever, which seems possible, it will be interesting to see what happens with the subsequent Pegasus, Saudi Cup and Dubai World Cup (those three races might want to organize themselves and call those three races the Winter Triple Crown for older horses, global horse racing promotion needs work)

2) speaking of the Dubai World Cup, and last year's winner, you might want to check this warmup race out from a few weeks ago
https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=H-85mazLBhM

I don't give tips, but that looks a heck of a lot like a winning move at the dirt track bullring that is Santa Anita

3) does anyone know if there will be advanced wagering on the Breeders Cup this year?

surprised that isn't a thing already, if for no other reason than to raise more interest in what should be two great days of racing

promotion of horse racing in general in the US also could do with a bit more effort and thought (and no, I don't mean you Randall Lane)
Sheffwed is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-20-2023, 03:19 PM   #44
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Not much to get excited about in thid Classic,
Maybe it will turn out to be a good betting race, but right noe it looks go grab a hot dog ans a beer race, IOr neat the traffic race.
Old 10-20-2023, 03:45 PM   #45
PalaceOfFortLarned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Not much to get excited about in thid Classic,
Maybe it will turn out to be a good betting race, but right noe it looks go grab a hot dog ans a beer race, IOr neat the traffic race.
So you'd rather watch Flightline run off at 1/5 and walk by 8?

I'd much rather have a great betting race for a Classic like 2012 and 2013. A lot of really good horses, maybe a budding star, but both very wide open fields.

I'll take that every year over coronation ceremonies.
PalaceOfFortLarned is online now   Reply With Quote Reply