Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Library

Old 02-17-2008, 09:26 PM   #406
Wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapperAl
There's no left-brain right-brain thing about it. There isn't a I like this book and some don't like it and others like another. It's just a poor book. It isn't even professionally edited, graphs are missing or incomplete, and his thesis isn't fully developed or focused. And I say this as a handicapping book junkie who will get into most anything. It looks like there is something going on to sell this book. It shouldn't be promoted. If it were only my opinion then I wouldn't say anything. I passed my copy around and no one else thought much of it either.
Wrong. Many users of The Match Up understand that the greatest success comes when intuition is applied. Intuition is right-brain thinking. You obviously don't like the book while I do, which immediately disproves your comment "There isn't a I like this book and some don't like it and others like another." (By the way, punctuation is your friend.) I agree that the book could have used a professional editor, and a better printer too...one that knows what a page margin is.

To say that "It looks like there is something going on to sell this book" is way out-of-line. If you are implying something, please back it up. And get your facts straight. The book is not for sale, nor is it being promoted. There were 100 copies printed, which sold out months ago. Wise up.

Wiseguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-18-2008, 01:04 AM   #407
njcurveball

Quote:
It looks like there is something going on to sell this book. It shouldn't be promoted.
I would probably buy this book if I saw it at Borders or Barnes and Noble and had a chance to peruse the contents. I am sure there are many others like me who feel the need to "touch" a book before purchasing.

However, the promotion here is much to do about nothing for the Author. The post below (by Richie P) is copied from Pace and Cap and is dated 11/20/2007 and is short and sweet.

Jim has no copies left for sale and is not planning a reprint Bob.Try Gambler's Book Club in Vegas. Maybe they have one.

Since that post, no more copies have been put on sale. I wish there were as your post has peaked my interest.
njcurveball is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-18-2008, 08:38 AM   #408
Ted Craven

Despite there being no more copies of The Match Up 2 available for sale, I think the Hat Check Forum over at Pace and Cap is a living, breathing, on-going course in the Match Up, taught by Jim Bradshaw and Richie P (Shanta), questions and answers, illustrations, attended by some other expert Match Up practitioners and lots of interested folks.

Those wanting to learn that method can go directly to the horse's mouth, so to speak.

Ted

Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-18-2008, 08:48 AM   #409
Capper Al

Okay. I didn't want to make this a pissing contest either. I posted it under Buyer be Ware, and I'm sticking to it. There seems to be a cult following of the Hat, with a whole 100 books published. The Hat did seem like an interesting person. It is his book that I had difficulty with.

"The Law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich, as well as the poor, to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread."

Anatole France

Capper Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-18-2008, 08:53 AM   #410
Capper Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiseguy
Wrong. Many users of The Match Up understand that the greatest success comes when intuition is applied. Intuition is right-brain thinking. You obviously don't like the book while I do, which immediately disproves your comment "There isn't a I like this book and some don't like it and others like another." (By the way, punctuation is your friend.) I agree that the book could have used a professional editor, and a better printer too...one that knows what a page margin is.

To say that "It looks like there is something going on to sell this book" is way out-of-line. If you are implying something, please back it up. And get your facts straight. The book is not for sale, nor is it being promoted. There were 100 copies printed, which sold out months ago. Wise up.
I never said that I didn't need an editor also, but then you're not paying $35.00 to read what I have to say.

"The Law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich, as well as the poor, to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread."

Anatole France

Old 02-18-2008, 10:56 AM   #411
Wiseguy

Quote:
I never said that I didn't need an editor also, but then you're not paying $35.00 to read what I have to say.
Point taken. I actually had to pay $63 on eBay. I still think it's worth it based on the concepts in the book. And believe me, I do have some issues with the book. There are numerous instances where Mr. Bradshaw will say something like "we will use this paceline, but we will change this number to..." but he does not say why. Or he'll say "can an early horse wire this field and win? I say yes," but then he fails too elaborate. Now, I've heard Mr. Bradshaw on audio from an old seminar and when he does elaborate it's quite enlightening. I do wish the book went deeper. I estimate the value of the book not by it's shortcomings, but by what I learn, and with this book, I learned a great deal.

Old 02-18-2008, 11:08 AM   #412
Wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Craven
Despite there being no more copies of The Match Up 2 available for sale, I think the Hat Check Forum over at Pace and Cap is a living, breathing, on-going course in the Match Up, taught by Jim Bradshaw and Richie P (Shanta), questions and answers, illustrations, attended by some other expert Match Up practitioners and lots of interested folks.

Those wanting to learn that method can go directly to the horse's mouth, so to speak.

Ted
Highly recommended. Anyone who is interested in the Match Up concepts can learn a great deal at the Hat Check forum. I basically read the entire forum while awaiting my Match Up 2. When I received the book and began reading it I had a great sense of deja-vu. Other than the sample races in the book I think almost the entire contents of The Match Up 2 are contained within that forum thanks to Shanta/RichieP. He also posts sample races that, in my opinion, display the Match Up concepts better than those in the book. If one were to study the materials presented in the Hat Check forum they would not even need the book. Not to mention that the forum also moves into some "advanced" Match Up concepts that are not even covered in the book.

Old 02-18-2008, 11:51 AM   #413
Capper Al

Quote:
Point taken. I actually had to pay $63 on eBay. I still think it's worth it based on the concepts in the book. And believe me, I do have some issues with the book. There are numerous instances where Mr. Bradshaw will say something like "we will use this paceline, but we will change this number to..." but he does not say why. Or he'll say "can an early horse wire this field and win? I say yes," but then he fails too elaborate. Now, I've heard Mr. Bradshaw on audio from an old seminar and when he does elaborate it's quite enlightening. I do wish the book went deeper. I estimate the value of the book not by it's shortcomings, but by what I learn, and with this book, I learned a great deal.
It's fun to be into a school of thought of handicapping. Good luck too you. It sounds like you got a lot more out of the book than I did. I didn't do any of the prep reading before the book arrived.

Anatole France

Last edited by CapperAl; 02-18-2008 at 11:52 AM.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:13 PM   #414
Partsnut
BetMix User

CapperAL:
Quote:
It's fun to be into a school of thought of handicapping. Good luck too you. It sounds like you got a lot more out of the book than I did. I didn't do any of the prep reading before the book arrived.
Some of the most educated and smartest people on this site have read both books and
Just as you, got nothing out of them. Believe me, you are not alone.

It seems like the parties that are promoting this and another site that I will not name, have a vested interest in this product and their other poducts as well.

If you have the sixth sense and are mystically inclined, you might want to try and figure it out. So polish up your crystal ball and enter the twilight zone.

"You can fool some of the people some of the time but not all of the people all of the time"

Last edited by Partsnut; 02-18-2008 at 12:19 PM.
Partsnut is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-18-2008, 12:48 PM   #415
46zilzal
velocitician

Quote:
I still think it's worth it based on the concepts in the book.
That is it. If you learn the concept, adapt it to your handicapping (a little like the Pizzolla fulcrum), it will serve you very well.

The slavish adherence to the "rules" of the match up would befuddle anyone, and I mean ANYONE. The concept is sound however. I would eliminate the tandem rule right off the bat.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:50 PM   #416
Wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partsnut
Some of the most educated and smartest people on this site have read both books and Just as you, got nothing out of them.
And very many people have attested to great success. What you get out of it is usually proportionate to what you put into it.

Quote:
It seems like the parties that are promoting this and another site that I will not name, have a vested interest in this product and their other poducts as well.
More unsubstantiated hogwash. How can a product that's not for sale be "promoted?" Just because we're discussing/debating it does not mean it's being "promoted." What you call "promoting" others might call "sharing." And as for me personally, I have no "vested interest" at all. I'm simply telling people that if they are curious about The Match Up that they can learn about it without having to spend any money, or wait for a copy, as I did. Sounds like sharing to me.

Quote:
If you have the sixth sense and are mystically inclined, you might want to try and figure it out. So polish up your crystal ball and enter the twilight zone.
Or, read the material, take the time to learn the concepts, work hard at applying them, and decide for yourself.

Old 02-18-2008, 12:53 PM   #417
Wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46zilzal
That is it. If you learn the concept, adapt it to your handicapping (a little like the Pizzolla fulcrum), it will serve you very well.

The slavish adherence to the "rules" of the match up would befuddle anyone, and I mean ANYONE. The concept is sound however. I would eliminate the tandem rule right off the bat.
I'm curious. Why would you eliminate using Tandems?

Old 02-18-2008, 12:57 PM   #418
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Or, some people just get it.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:03 PM   #419
46zilzal
velocitician

I assume the use of a tandem is there for similar comparison pace times. It adds another unnecessary level of complexity to a simple idea: what pace can this horse contend with?

All you have to do is introduce multiple pace lines of similar make-up, they don't necessarily have to have come from the same race but only have close to the same pace.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:07 PM   #420
shanta

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46zilzal

1) There are absolutely no rules regarding Jim Bradshaw's Matchup concepts.
2) There are absolutely no rules regarding tandems and reversing tandems in Jim Bradshaw's Matchup concepts.

NONE
shanta is offline   Reply With Quote Reply