Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 02-16-2021, 11:51 PM   #31
JustRalph
Just another Facist

We were the only restaurant open for miles today.

Served 1017 meals. Last Tuesday just under 300.

We got hammered but almost no complaints. 98% of the folks had no power and many no water for the last 2 days. They were glad to be warm and fed.

Made up for being closed during ice storm yesterday -(plus much more)

Tomorrow should be good too. Still lots without power or water. We had a brisk to go business today......way over our normal.

50 0n line at opening a wait most of the day.

Remember, I can only seat at 75% capacity. Which means technically about 60% for us due to 6 ft distancing. We fill up at about 250 instead of our pre-Covid 400.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg FBC87F21-400C-4AD1-8E1D-C8DE3EFB9660.jpg (483.1 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg BC4B1D71-8DDE-4895-AF8E-057FD86D4B01.jpg (464.6 KB, 24 views)
Old 02-17-2021, 12:45 AM   #32
Elkchester Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post

We got hammered but almost no complaints. 98% of the folks had no power and many no water for the last 2 days. They were glad to be warm and fed.

Tomorrow should be good too. Still lots without power or water. We had a brisk to go business today......way over our normal.

Remember, I can only seat at 75% capacity. Which means technically about 60% for us due to 6 ft distancing. We fill up at about 250 instead of our pre-Covid 400.
That is good to hear and see, Ralph. And, of course, kudos for being there for people who need it.
Old 02-17-2021, 02:50 PM   #33
ElKabong

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Who didn't know wind power doesn't work in extreme cold? If someone is counting on it now, all I can do is lol.
Same here

A sucker is born ever minute. Green energy is for suckers
“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,” -Joe Biden
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-17-2021, 02:55 PM   #34
ElKabong

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post
it sounds like quite a few people have frozen water lines, that could be quite a mess if they break before thawing.
That's my only worry. I wrapped up 3 outside faucets, only one has a shut off. Not sure anything can save the 2 w no shut off. Inside the water is fine, but pressure is way down due to a main malfunction in dallas

We've had heat the entire time, across the street and beyond has had outages on and off since Sunday. I'm sure their pipes are going to be a major issue. One neighbor had an inside temp of 45*
“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,” -Joe Biden
Old 02-17-2021, 02:59 PM   #35
ElKabong

Quote:

Glad things are humming for you, JR

As an aside, from the looks of those photos, most of those patrons appear to not have missed many meals lately
Old 02-17-2021, 03:46 PM   #36
Marshall Bennett

Almost fell out of my chair when they said 25% of our power down here came from windmills. Rule of thumb...machinery, unless designed to do so, doesn't operate in 9 degree weather.
Sounds like the green new death, not any deal.
Marshall Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-17-2021, 03:57 PM   #37
ElKabong

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElKabong View Post
It has no place here in the state. NG is plentiful, frozen wind turbines were never an issue before it was pushed on us.

Ten years ago I managed a supply chain org for a company that depended on a HD galvanizer south of DFW for quick turns on high volumes (expedite payments were very high), we were knocked off line b/c of the wind turbine industry. They took priority over us and everyone else

That did 2 things... hurt mid sized corporations / companies by shutting us off on turn times. That affected our bottom line, all for the sake of wind turbines. Second, the govt entities had to pay a FORTUNE to HDG companies to overbid us like that. I could go on, but I hope the point gets across. Green energy impacted businesses years ago, now it's impacting households trying to stay warm

/I]
For accuracy sake, it was early 2015 when we began seeing our pipeline being slowed severely with our HDGalvanizer. The remainder of the year & in 2016 we didn't hit targets or Thru-put goals. Thru-put declined, cash flow slowed... the company I worked for has been sold twice since. Sole reason - the push for "clean energy"
Old 02-17-2021, 04:25 PM   #38
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
I think it has a place in the grid, and the technology will surely improve. It is already miles better than even 10 years ago. But it can't be everything, that is for sure.
Exactly.
And the only way that happens is to let a free market develop it, market it, find a way to make it profitable. And make it a good choice, not a mandate.
Old 02-17-2021, 04:45 PM   #39
davew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Exactly.
And the only way that happens is to let a free market develop it, market it, find a way to make it profitable. And make it a good choice, not a mandate.
you don't understand the dim way -> require it, regulate it, subsidize it, hope it works, blame others when it does not ..... repeat

when something already does work, find a reason to outlaw it or regulate it to the point where it no longer does.
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-17-2021, 04:55 PM   #40
lamboguy

they got stupid democrats in Texas. they don't know that you have to wrap the pipes up with foam king pipe insulation in case the temperature remains under freezing for any length of time so that the pipes won't burst.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-17-2021, 07:52 PM   #41
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Glad things are humming for you, JR

As an aside, from the looks of those photos, most of those patrons appear to not have missed many meals lately
I see 2 guys with a big gut. Not sure what you’re seeing? But yep.....we get our share of the biggies.

Almost a repeat of yesterday. Lots of repeaters from yesterday.

800 in today.
Old 02-17-2021, 09:30 PM   #42
ElKabong

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
they got stupid democrats in Texas. they don't know that you have to wrap the pipes up with foam king pipe insulation in case the temperature remains under freezing for any length of time so that the pipes won't burst.
Learned that in grade school. Was my chore. It's common knowledge here in this part of the state

Cut off the water to the spigot / faucet
Insulate with foam or an article of clothing.
Cover

Problem is, here the pipes aren't deep enough in the ground like they are up north. Knew people in the 1983 freeze that properly wrapped up and still had pipes freeze and burst. I'm crossing my fingers
Old 02-17-2021, 10:38 PM   #43
fast4522

Quote:
I see 2 guys with a big gut. Not sure what you’re seeing? But yep.....we get our share of the biggies.

800 in today.

You have been able to to keep the door open when other turned the key in a very harsh economic climate. One day at a time, Mayor of Colorado City, Texas RESIGNS. So the moral of the story is when the other guy shoots himself in the foot at his job feel good about the level of focus your able to deliver.
fast4522 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-17-2021, 10:45 PM   #44
davew

Quote:

800 in today.
Glad you are getting surge in business.

I heard other states that have 'stop and go' governors make it near impossible for restaurants plan for and utilize food purchased.

Mattress Mack is letting people stay in his stores. It could be days before some people get power restored
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-17-2021, 11:10 PM   #45
lamboguy

Quote:
Learned that in grade school. Was my chore. It's common knowledge here in this part of the state

Cut off the water to the spigot / faucet
Insulate with foam or an article of clothing.
Cover

Problem is, here the pipes aren't deep enough in the ground like they are up north. Knew people in the 1983 freeze that properly wrapped up and still had pipes freeze and burst. I'm crossing my fingers
i built over 500 homes in my better days, all of them had basements and there was plenty of insulation between the frame and the walls. every frame that i built also had wind corners. i would guess that the homes in Texas are built on slabs without basements.

its really unfortunate that this had to happen to Texas because they are probably the largest growing state in the country.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply