Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 4.20 average.
Old 07-24-2023, 10:27 PM   #2161
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
They took several minutes to announce a decision.

But keep in mind there were two DQ's in the race. The stewards also DQ'd the 4th place finisher for an incident leaving the gate.

During that time they kept showing replays - pan shot, head on, and overhead drone footage over and over again.

To me:

The overhead drone footage gave the best view/perspective as to how many paths the #1 came off the rail and the #4 came in.

From overhead:

It looked like the #1 clearly initiated the contact while coming out more than the #4 came in.

I'm wondering if the stewards even saw the overhead drone footage, or if the stewards are precluded from using it for purposes of rendering a decision.

That's the only thing that makes any sense to me.

Imo, a really bad call (and no I didn't bet the race.)

-jp

Last edited by Jeff P; 07-24-2023 at 10:33 PM.
Jeff P is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-26-2023, 06:29 PM   #2162
wisconsin

Race 10 Sar 7/26

veers sharply into the path of an oncoming . No change

I had it either way with some win money on the
Old 07-26-2023, 06:36 PM   #2163
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisconsin View Post
Race 10 Sar 7/26

veers sharply into the path of an oncoming . No change

I had it either way with some win money on the
That was ridiculous. The stewards at NYRA tracks stink. I know only one is a NRYA employee but it really doesn't matter. They are part of the product.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-26-2023, 06:51 PM   #2164
wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
That was ridiculous. The stewards at NYRA tracks stink. I know only one is a NRYA employee but it really doesn't matter. They are part of the product.
After all, it was an Ortiz brother. But that one leaves me shaking my head.
Old 07-26-2023, 06:52 PM   #2165
shout1966

i was alive to had nothing to do with me but man that was really dangerous by the on the . The front hoofs were btw the back legs very lucky. I was mildly surprised there was no change. Mainly because I have seen this before with NYRA and Parx.
shout1966 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-26-2023, 08:12 PM   #2166
wisconsin

Holy shit, y'all should read the DRF chart caller's comments for Sar Race 10. Pure disbelief. Don't think I am allowed to copy and paste it here. Just an awful non-call there.
Old 07-26-2023, 08:48 PM   #2167
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
Link to Equibase PDF Chart:
https://www.equibase.com/static/char...72623USA10.pdf

Quote:
Footnotes
INDIAN MISCHIEF crossed to the inside steadily after the start to be in the two path into the first turn latching on VINCE THE PRINCE to the outside through that bend, knocked heads in hand dueling down the backstretch and into the far turn with that rival coming under coaxing near the quarter pole and taking command straightened away, came under a left handed crop and drifted out two paths directly in front and impeding HE'S A LUCKY GUY forcing that foe to check just off his heels sharp enough to displace large chunks of the sod in a halt while brushing that foe with his hindquarters, inched away under a drive now with some breathing room and drifted in under a right handed crop to the rail while holding safe to the finish kept to task. HE'S A LUCKY GUY coaxed from the gate, tracked the duel along the inside from a loose pocket, came under coaxing at the three-eighths, angled out and swung three wide into upper stretch advancing on the top pair, had INDIAN MISCHIEF come out under a left handed crop just when latching on VINCE THE PRINCE and was forced to check directly off the heels of INDIAN MISCHIEF, her two front legs passing to either side of the rear left leg of INDIAN MISCHIEF before displacing some sod when checked and brushing with the hindquarters of that rival, lost two lengths of momentum as a result and came under renewed encouragement to get going once more and showed good courage to keep on for the place honors while never recovering the full flight she had to the furlong grounds prior to the incident...
Quote:
...There was a Stewards' Inquiry into the stretch run focusing on the incident at the eighth pole between INDIAN MISCHIEF and HE'S A LUCKY GUY. After review, the result was allowed to stand and the race was declared official.

Imo:

Glad there wasn't a spill.

And:
Code:
Chartcaller:  +1
The Stewards:  0

-jp
Old 07-26-2023, 10:48 PM   #2168
SBD400

If that wasn’t a DQ today, then almost nothing should be one. Horrendous non call.
SBD400 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-27-2023, 10:05 AM   #2169
the little guy

I think everyone needs to take another careful look at the incident, including all angles. There is no way it is clear cut that the leader wasn't clear and the runner-up was likely lugging in as well. I cannot understand how people think ambiguous situations should result in disqualifications. Way too many knee jerk reactions to these situations in my opinion.

I can understand the other side but all I read is some kind of certainty that the winner should have come down. To me, this is nonsensical and I'm not the only one that feels this way.
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-27-2023, 10:19 AM   #2170
Sheffwed

what should be

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
I think everyone needs to take another careful look at the incident, including all angles. There is no way it is clear cut that the leader wasn't clear and the runner-up was likely lugging in as well. I cannot understand how people think ambiguous situations should result in disqualifications. Way too many knee jerk reactions to these situations in my opinion.

I can understand the other side but all I read is some kind of certainty that the winner should have come down. To me, this is nonsensical and I'm not the only one that feels this way.
Agreed with TLG this one wasn't clear cut

First of all, DQs and suspensions/fines should be separated

Questions stewards should ask:

1) Did the incident in question cause a horse to lose a chance to gain a place and was the offense clear? Clearly this was the case with the 1 coming over on the 6, so those who wagered on the 6 lost that opportunity without question

2) Would the offending horse have won anyway? In this case, that's a maybe to probably

So the 6 lost the chance to win, the 1 could have won anyway, but you can't really tell that 100%

Hence it should have been a DQ

Separately, stewards can and should decide on suspensions/fines separately

People up in arms about DQs at the Spa, this one wasn't nearly as bad as the Coaching Club American Oaks 2015, the taking down of I'm a Chatterbox still stings, watch this and tell me that horse should come down

Last edited by Sheffwed; 07-27-2023 at 10:27 AM.
Sheffwed is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-27-2023, 05:11 PM   #2171
Sheffwed

and then today they take down Irad today

similar circumstances

NYRA should make its Stewards make a video statement and post it after every Objection and Inquiry, full stop

yesterday I cashed off their decision, today I was taken down, this isn't an issue of who anyone bet on

the public deserves an explanation, it would only benefit NYRA

some of these are tough calls, but be forthright, cmon

instead NYRA is busy bulldozing Belmont's beautiful infield, so why should I expect better
Sheffwed is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-27-2023, 07:25 PM   #2172
SBD400

That was some egregious riding today by Irad and a very well deserved DQ. He was trapped on rail, decided he didn’t care who or what he could hurt and made an extreme right hand turn. So extreme and sudden, he had to turn his body sideways to look and maneuver horse. Stevens said it perfectly, in that situation you just eat your situation. And where was the stewards inquiry, apparently there was only a jockeys objection.

Hopefully he gets a nice suspension at Saratoga, not at Christmas vacation. He is going to hurt someone really bad one day.

Last edited by SBD400; 07-27-2023 at 07:27 PM.
Old 07-27-2023, 07:30 PM   #2173
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

He is the only guy I constantly see doing this pose in the stretch:

cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-27-2023, 07:39 PM   #2174
SBD400

Glad you posted that picture, that illustrates better than words how egregious that maneuver was.
Old 07-27-2023, 08:55 PM   #2175
metro

It looked like Dylan Davis on Tartini was already in defense mode when Irad ranged up beside him, just prior to the infraction. That's when it should be apparent to the powers that be in the racing world that the guy needs to be reeled in. His fellow jockeys know that he's coming through, hell or high water. They also know that more often than not the stewards aren't going to do a damn thing about it.
metro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply