Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.33 average.
Old 04-11-2020, 12:24 PM   #3256
hcap

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Look how hard hcap is trying. The harder he tries, the more I know he's wrong.
You do nothing epidemiological modeling is bonkers. You have told us it is no worse than the seasonal flu. Your model would have killed millions.
Still believe a do-nothing approach was the correct way?

Last edited by hcap; 04-11-2020 at 12:25 PM.
hcap is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-11-2020, 12:26 PM   #3257
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcap View Post
You have told us it is no worse than the seasonal flu. Still believe that?
I never told you that.

But, for the record, seasonal flu kills 646,000 people worldwide. To date, we are up to 104,943 worldwide on COVID-19. And many countries have peaked already, especially the hardest hit to date.

COVID still has quite a way to go to catch seasonal flu in that regard.

Maybe it will, maybe it won't. Once social distancing starts going away, it will have an easier time catching up to the flu. Because, as we all know, social distancing was never designed to prevent people from EVER contracting the virus. It was only designed to put less strain on our healthcare industry all at once.

You can't stop people from contracting this virus, short of locking everyone up in a sterile room forever. OR, inventing a vaccine that is 100% effective (and that never worked with the flu).

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 04-11-2020 at 12:30 PM.
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-11-2020, 12:30 PM   #3258
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcap View Post
Intelligence report warned of coronavirus crisis as early as November: Sources
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/inte...ry?id=70031273

As far back as late November, U.S. intelligence officials were warning that a contagion was sweeping through China’s Wuhan region, changing the patterns of life and business and posing a threat to the population, according to four sources briefed on the secret reporting.

Concerns about what is now known to be the novel coronavirus pandemic were detailed in a November intelligence report by the military's National Center for Medical Intelligence (NCMI), according to two officials familiar with the document’s contents.
The problem is that as late as January 21 WHO and Fauci (on record on TV) were saying that the virus was not threat to the US. They are the scientific experts that everyone is saying Trump should have listened to.

Until recently the CDC was saying there was no evidence masks help.

That's dumber than a gigantic pile of rocks.

You don't just wear a mask specifically because you know it helps. You wear it because you don't know yet. And the CDC did not know. They were assholes. The default should have been wear masks.

Despite that, Trump restricted flights into the US from China in late January against roars of racism and xenophobia.

The more legitimate criticism is that he waited before stopping flights from Europe. The infection was already quietly spreading there and we allowed flights for awhile longer from some European countries. The only argument I have seen for why he allowed that (other than blatant error) was that there were so many US citizens in Europe he had to give them a little more time to get back top the US. However, even if true, with them came many more positives.
Old 04-11-2020, 12:35 PM   #3259
RunForTheRoses

https://justthenews.com/government/s...ng-100-percent

New York Democratic Gov. Andrew Cuomo has been the stoic face of the state’s battle against the deadly coronavirus, but he recently acknowledged that his efforts to save residents’ lives and keep the regional economy afloat have been hampered by “100 percent wrong” projections.
“All of the projections, by the way, and the statisticians have been 100 percent wrong at this point,” Cuomo on Thursday told former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani on his radio show.

Last edited by RunForTheRoses; 04-11-2020 at 12:38 PM.
RunForTheRoses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-11-2020, 12:36 PM   #3260
fast4522

Quote:
When's the last time you posted a link about people being buried at HART'S ISLAND?

What's that? Never? I thought so...
I am going to just empty that with just one thought, OK

In no way am I not going to be middle of the road. I suggested in a post that I thought there was a overreaction originally. I moved from that position to "I am open to seeing what trend of thought" being we have two different distinct trends of thought. This shit is real ugly and it is becoming very obvious that both camps are bogus and the truth is somewhere in between. I prefer to look at things in today's light but still say that we can not do it this way again. The reality of unclaimed bodies inside a lock down with plain pine boxes into a potters field is not that we could not give a tinker's damn but just the news of the day from New York channel 10 I think. We will soon open the country and I expect some pain during that time and expect this thread to encapsulate that as well.
fast4522 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-11-2020, 12:37 PM   #3261
GMB@BP

One thing I am trying to grasp is some of the disproportionate numbers from countries that in my mind are similar.

France has a mortality rate of 10.5%.

Germany has a mortality rate of 2.2%.

Number of cases is close. These are neighboring countries that I would assume are similar in terms of economic and medical means.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-11-2020, 12:38 PM   #3262
RunForTheRoses

https://www.jpost.com/HEALTH-SCIENCE...vaccine-619101
Old 04-11-2020, 12:43 PM   #3263
RunForTheRoses

Rats!

https://www.nj.com/coronavirus/2020/...for-homes.html

Yuck
Old 04-11-2020, 12:53 PM   #3264
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
One thing I am trying to grasp is some of the disproportionate numbers from countries that in my mind are similar.

France has a mortality rate of 10.5%.

Germany has a mortality rate of 2.2%.

Number of cases is close. These are neighboring countries that I would assume are similar in terms of economic and medical means.
There are no reliable stats, as you plainly see. That's been the whole point from the beginning.

But hey, if you ACT like models and stats are reliable, then you can nuke the economy, which is always fun.
Old 04-11-2020, 01:26 PM   #3265
FantasticDan
gelding

Quote:
Nope...the mitigation effects were ALREADY built into the models that were being used all along. Nice try.
PROJECTIONS may have been built into early models, but now we're seeing actual RESULTS of the mitigation measures, and the models are being adjusted accordingly. Not surprising, since such public health mobilization measures have been largely unprecedented in modern society..
FantasticDan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-11-2020, 01:29 PM   #3266
FantasticDan
gelding

Quote:
There are no reliable stats, as you plainly see. That's been the whole point from the beginning.

But hey, if you ACT like models and stats are reliable, then you can nuke the economy, which is always fun.
What's even more fun is your take that keeping everything open during a virulent pandemic wouldn't have nuked the economy even worse..
FantasticDan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-11-2020, 01:38 PM   #3267
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasticDan View Post
What's even more fun is your take that keeping everything open during a virulent pandemic wouldn't have nuked the economy even worse..
I never once said to keep everything open. Again...NICE TRY.

For guys who proclaim to be so much smarter than me, you sure are dumb when it comes to reading comprehension.
Old 04-11-2020, 01:40 PM   #3268
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Can you say BACKTRACK Dr. Fauci??

Not much data at all...filled with assumptions....but hey, let's ****ing DESTROY THE ECONOMY because of them...seems like a good idea I guess.

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 04-11-2020 at 01:42 PM.
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-11-2020, 02:03 PM   #3269
GMB@BP

Quote:
Can you say BACKTRACK Dr. Fauci??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URZB0Cp0mW0

Not much data at all...filled with assumptions....but hey, let's ****ing DESTROY THE ECONOMY because of them...seems like a good idea I guess.
I am not going to blame anyone for trying to make decisions with imperfect data. I do think we went to far but everyone was living with a mass casualty fear.

The bottom line is they made the decisions and it appears to have saved lives in terms of COVID-19.

Now was that disproportionate applied to the damage done by shutting the entire economy? In my mind it was and have said so in this thread. I would have to blame the current leadership for that, DJT.

Different spin on a way to blame the president.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-11-2020, 02:03 PM   #3270
MONEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunForTheRoses View Post
https://justthenews.com/government/s...ng-100-percent

New York Democratic Gov. Andrew Cuomo has been the stoic face of the state’s battle against the deadly coronavirus, but he recently acknowledged that his efforts to save residents’ lives and keep the regional economy afloat have been hampered by “100 percent wrong” projections.
“All of the projections, by the way, and the statisticians have been 100 percent wrong at this point,” Cuomo on Thursday told former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani on his radio show.
Cuomo keeps trusting professionals.

It looks like Cuomo is finally letting New York's doctors try hydroxychloroquine & azithromycin, but New York State doesn't have much of the combo because of Cuomo's ban and it will take time to get enough product to treat everybody that the medications might help.

I wonder how many New Yorkers died without doctors attempting to use the hydroxychloroquine & azithromycin combo because of Cuomo's trusting only the professionals?