Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.33 average.
Old 03-29-2020, 02:39 PM   #2221
MargieRose

Quote:
Originally Posted by horses4courses View Post
I'm reading that EU countries are receiving plane loads of
personal protective equipment purchased from China.
The Chinese obviously have supplies still.
We probably have tariffs in place.
They should remain in place. The Chinese holding back sorely needed medical supplies from us because of tariffs, IF that is the case as you seem to be implying, couldn't be a stronger impetus for us to dump China for all medical needs and bring the manufacturing for those needs home, lest you prefer to be intimidated into a trade-policy defeat.

It's beginning to look more and more like this C-19 virus emerged more by design, rather than being an unfortunate occurrence inflicted upon us by natural means.
MargieRose is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-29-2020, 02:43 PM   #2222
ElKabong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutgers View Post
I'm not so sure it's shelter in place is what is working.

It's probably more likely 40 to 50 years of monitoring and trying to control air pollution.

If you look at the countries were the impact is largest, China (and like PA alluded to you have to take their reported numbers with a grain of salt https://nypost.com/2020/03/28/shipme...rus-reporting/ ) and Iran they are some of the most polluted on the planet.

Italy (especially northern Italy) is one of the worst in Europe.

Covid-19 is respiratory disease, breathing polluted air for years or decades damages and weakens your respiratory system.(and you do not need to have a diagnosed condition or disease to have a weaken respiratory system)

There are a number of different ways to measure a country's pollution level, and with a country as geographically large as the USA, some areas have a higher level of air pollution than others. But on average the USA definitely has lower levels of air pollution than China, Iran, Italy and in all likelihood lower than France and Spain. (And any modeling of death rates, spread, need for ventilators, etc. based on cases in these countries that do not factor that in are seriously flawed-models for respiratory diseases need to factor in the air people breathe)

By the way, Germany is experiencing a lower death rate than most other European countries and by most measures Germany as less pollution than most European countries.

Since most people have no to mild symptoms, the total number of cases really isn't that important. (Other than to reach "herd immunity") It's the number of serious cases and deaths. While the US has the most cases according to Worldmeters.com, it is 6th in number of deaths and 5th in serious cases, here again it probably because Americans are healthier from breathing cleaner air, and Covid-19 is a respiratory disease.
Very interesting. Thanks for posting this
“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,” -Joe Biden
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-29-2020, 02:44 PM   #2223
jk3521
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suff View Post

I bought 100 units. I tried to buy more, but only small parcel is passing through customs now. I have tracking number indicating the order has shipped within China to the port. I'm not confident it will arrive.

Good luck with them... And don"t sneeze too hard. They'll probably fall apart and fly through the air.!
jk3521 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-29-2020, 02:45 PM   #2224
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
My bro just texted me that supermarkets near him are closing for two weeks.

He lives in the NY metro area...

This is gonna get real good now...can't wait.

KEEP THAT PANIC GOING BOIS!
Might be a good time to embrace the second amendment. I would imagine a lack of food might create a few people to cross the line.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-29-2020, 02:51 PM   #2225
Robert Fischer
clean money

Hopefully these google search trends, are simply a function of Americans at home, and concerned over the Covid-19 situation.
Old 03-29-2020, 03:17 PM   #2226
thaskalos

"Our people want to get back to work", Trump keeps on saying...but that's not the impression that I get when I go out for my personal needs. I see people of all ages walking around with masks and gloves on...while staying away from one another. I saw a lady at a supermarket sneeze on the inside of her jacket...and she caused a panic among the other shoppers in the store's aisle. Yes, people want a paycheck...but that doesn't mean that they are ready to go back to work. There is real fear out there...in spite of our president's reassurances.
Old 03-29-2020, 03:21 PM   #2227
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
"Our people want to get back to work", Trump keeps on saying...but that's not the impression that I get when I go out for my personal needs. I see people of all ages walking around with masks and gloves on...while staying away from one another. I saw a lady at a supermarket sneeze on the inside of her jacket...and she caused a panic among the other shoppers in the store's aisle. Yes, people want a paycheck...but that doesn't mean that they are ready to go back to work. There is real fear out there...in spite of our president's reassurances.
You ain't kidding brother thas...agree 1000%

That's why, even when things "get back to normal," they ain't gonna be normal for a LONG, LONG, LONG time...and this will bring with it even more severe consequences that most people never imagined.
Old 03-29-2020, 03:22 PM   #2228
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
Well, its easy to put of bills for a month for most, or have savings cover it, but 4. 6 months or as some have said. 18 months. People will be changing their tunes.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-29-2020, 03:27 PM   #2229
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
That's why, even when things "get back to normal," they ain't gonna be normal for a LONG, LONG, LONG time..
The old "normal" will be gone forever, just like the way the world of my youth has been long gone....Big permanent changes are forthcoming...not that you aren't aware.
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-29-2020, 03:31 PM   #2230
jk3521
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall View Post
The old "normal" will be gone forever, just like the way the world of my youth has been long gone....Big permanent changes are forthcoming...not that you aren't aware.
Optimist sees doughnut, pessimist sees hole. (Charlie Chan)
Old 03-29-2020, 03:32 PM   #2231
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk3521 View Post
Optimist sees doughnut, pessimist sees hole. (Charlie Chan)
I love donut-holes, don't you?..
Old 03-29-2020, 03:35 PM   #2232
MONEY

My neighbor in the house just south of mine is having a well attended party that began a couple of days ago.
A little farther down the block is a big young children's party, with a bounce house.
I went out for my daily slow jog in Cullen Park and there were several groups of about ten on the walking path.
Many people in Texas are still not taking the virus seriously.
Old 03-29-2020, 03:37 PM   #2233
jk3521
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall View Post
I love donut-holes, don't you?..
Mr. Chan said that long before someone came up with the bright idea of selling "holes".
Old 03-29-2020, 03:45 PM   #2234
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk3521 View Post
Mr. Chan said that long before someone came up with the bright idea of selling "holes".
I'm sure Chan knew all about "Chinese Virus" as well...
Old 03-29-2020, 03:51 PM   #2235
46zilzal
velocitician

from an author who thought about this long ago S. King

“This has been waiting in the wings for a long, long time. I wrote The Stand about a pandemic that wipes out most of the human race, and thank God this one isn’t that bad, but I wrote that in 1979 and ever since then this has just been waiting to happen.

“The fact that nobody really seemed prepared still mystifies me.”