Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.33 average.
Old 03-29-2020, 08:09 AM   #2176
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy View Post
Look up the stats for the 2018 flu season, a really bad flu season, 900,000 hospitalized, 80,000 deaths in the U.S. The mortality rate was about the same as this virus. If the media had reported the flu stats every day, people would have panicked, but most people had no idea how bad it really was.
Not directed at you Pandy:

Same with opioid deaths. People tend to be blissfully ignorant until the govt and media tell them not to be. Lemmings. 90% of the population is made up of lemmings. It’s great that people are all riled up about Coronavirus but please realize that there are just as serious issues going on around you that you’re oblivious to. That is what Pace is trying to tell you. Wake up people. 99% survive this. Be happy Ebola hasn’t found a way to multiply rapidly or even I would panic. Only 10% would survive that. Perspective folks.

Last edited by tucker6; 03-29-2020 at 08:10 AM.
tucker6 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-29-2020, 08:25 AM   #2177
lamboguy

i am now hearing that the corona is spreading fast and furious in Pennsylvania. the experts are calling for the APEX in Pennsylvania to peak around the middle of May.

just a heads up to those that come from Pennsylvania because this thing looks a lot worse to me than what some of you people post that it is, especially for those that are getting older in years.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-29-2020, 08:27 AM   #2178
Half Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
this thing looks a lot worse to me than what some of you people post that it is, especially for those that are getting older in years.

my wife works in health care
we're both old
if we get it resources are going to be used for younger people
the older people will be left to die if there's not enough resources to go around

I can accept this
but I feel strongly that it should be legal to assist anyone in this situation to die painlessly

that's my two cents worth that no one in authority will probably ever listen to or consider
Old 03-29-2020, 08:39 AM   #2179
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Smoke View Post
my wife works in health care
we're both old
if we get it resources are going to be used for younger people
the older people will be left to die if there's not enough resources to go around

I can accept this
but I feel strongly that it should be legal to assist anyone in this situation to die painlessly

that's my two cents worth that no one in authority will probably ever listen to or consider
very smart, i haven't heard of that yet, but i do know from hospital workers, ambulance drivers and police how bad this is. i happen to have 2 empty apartments that i am letting healthcare workers and police stay so that they don't have to bring this virus back home with them to their family's. i am only charging them the money it cost me to clean and sterilize these units after they leave. my house smells full of bleach and i wake up with a sore throat from it, but it goes away in less than an hour. the ambulance people are bringing me home n-95's and rubber gloves for some type of a shield against this thing. there is no shortage of these things yet in Boston, but i am told they are using the 3-m n-05's for a full day before they discard them and get a new one.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-29-2020, 09:18 AM   #2180
46zilzal
velocitician

While Nero played his volin

From https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...rt-politicians

quote: “My message: let’s get back to work, let’s get back to living, let’s be smart about it, and those of us who are 70-plus, we’ll take care of ourselves,” Dan Patrick, the Texas lieutenant governor, said last week on Tucker Carlson’s Fox News show.

“Don’t sacrifice the country,” Patrick continued.

Patrick even suggested many older Americans would happily risk their lives for the sake of the economy.

“No one reached out to me and said: ‘As a senior citizen, are you willing to take a chance on your survival in exchange for keeping the America that all America loves for your children and grandchildren?’” Patrick also said. “And if that’s the exchange, I’m all in. That doesn’t make me noble or brave or anything like that, I just think there are lots of grandparents out there in this country like me.”

Speak for yourself idiot
Old 03-29-2020, 09:24 AM   #2181
MONEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46zilzal View Post
From https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...rt-politicians

quote: “My message: let’s get back to work, let’s get back to living, let’s be smart about it, and those of us who are 70-plus, we’ll take care of ourselves,” Dan Patrick, the Texas lieutenant governor, said last week on Tucker Carlson’s Fox News show.

“Don’t sacrifice the country,” Patrick continued.

Patrick even suggested many older Americans would happily risk their lives for the sake of the economy.

“No one reached out to me and said: ‘As a senior citizen, are you willing to take a chance on your survival in exchange for keeping the America that all America loves for your children and grandchildren?’” Patrick also said. “And if that’s the exchange, I’m all in. That doesn’t make me noble or brave or anything like that, I just think there are lots of grandparents out there in this country like me.”

Speak for yourself idiot
I can't stand Dan Patrick, he keeps blocking online gambling for Texans.
Old 03-29-2020, 09:27 AM   #2182
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

The article conveniently leaves out any mention of the irresponsible actions of the New Orleans and New York mayors. Nor does it mention what was going on at the very beginning of the ordeal that was the main event at the time: the sham impeachment process.
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-29-2020, 09:41 AM   #2183
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcap View Post
As of today 3/29
U.S. death count crossed 2,100, more than double the level from two days ago.

Does anyone know if any previous flu pandemics expanded at such a rate?
The death total is a trailing indicator.

1. People spread the virus exponentially behind the scenes (massive increase).

2. 3-14 days later people start showing symptoms (while it's still spreading).

3. Some of those cases get to serious or critical condition.

4. Lots of the people that were critical or serious die in a cluster.

The thing that matters is the growth rate of new cases and the number of new cases. It's still somewhere between difficult and impossible to know the true death rate because of the huge number of people that were probably positive but never showed any symptoms.
Old 03-29-2020, 10:07 AM   #2184
Rutgers

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcap View Post

Looks like shelter in place is slowing the spread but it is too early to know. 20/20 hindsight on previous flus is not applicable. We have the luxury of knowing a full year of numbers on past flu pandemics We are only a few months into this pandemic.
------------------------------
I'm not so sure it's shelter in place is what is working.

It's probably more likely 40 to 50 years of monitoring and trying to control air pollution.

If you look at the countries were the impact is largest, China (and like PA alluded to you have to take their reported numbers with a grain of salt https://nypost.com/2020/03/28/shipme...rus-reporting/ ) and Iran they are some of the most polluted on the planet.

Italy (especially northern Italy) is one of the worst in Europe.

Covid-19 is respiratory disease, breathing polluted air for years or decades damages and weakens your respiratory system.(and you do not need to have a diagnosed condition or disease to have a weaken respiratory system)

There are a number of different ways to measure a country's pollution level, and with a country as geographically large as the USA, some areas have a higher level of air pollution than others. But on average the USA definitely has lower levels of air pollution than China, Iran, Italy and in all likelihood lower than France and Spain. (And any modeling of death rates, spread, need for ventilators, etc. based on cases in these countries that do not factor that in are seriously flawed-models for respiratory diseases need to factor in the air people breathe)

By the way, Germany is experiencing a lower death rate than most other European countries and by most measures Germany as less pollution than most European countries.

Since most people have no to mild symptoms, the total number of cases really isn't that important. (Other than to reach "herd immunity") It's the number of serious cases and deaths. While the US has the most cases according to Worldmeters.com, it is 6th in number of deaths and 5th in serious cases, here again it probably because Americans are healthier from breathing cleaner air, and Covid-19 is a respiratory disease.
Rutgers is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-29-2020, 10:15 AM   #2185
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggestal99 View Post
Police officers don’t die from the common cold.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/28/us/ny...ths/index.html

Allan
It says he had underlying health issues. I’m sure that contributed.
Old 03-29-2020, 10:18 AM   #2186
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk3521 View Post
No, this is why you ask these questions. LOL

https://www.mediamatters.org/fox-new...sk-heres-proof

Especially this bimbo...

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a9431166.html
Don’t quote media matters. They are awful people with a well known agenda

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_Matters_for_America
Old 03-29-2020, 10:20 AM   #2187
delayjf

i
Quote:
f we get it resources are going to be used for younger people

I can accept this
I absolutely disagree with the above. The younger population is the least likely to die from the virus. So why would we need to focus all or most of our resources on the young? Sounds like an approach China would appreciate.
delayjf is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-29-2020, 10:23 AM   #2188
jk3521
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_Matters_for_America
Thanks for the heads-up. Don't know where to go for unbiased facts. Damned social media !

My opinion of the bimbo stands, though. LOL

Last edited by jk3521; 03-29-2020 at 10:25 AM.
jk3521 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-29-2020, 11:14 AM   #2189
horses4courses

Quote:
Hmmm...I'll have to take a closer look at that source.
Sounds good to me.

Talk about the pot accusing the kettle.
Coming from the man who habitually posts threads using obscure right wing sources.
Their agenda is very clear. Plus, they have their share of awful people.
chance of returning to the WH, assuming that
he can manage to stay out of prison. Think about it.
horses4courses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-29-2020, 11:29 AM   #2190
jk3521
Registered Loser

Quote:
Don’t quote media matters. ]
To me, all media doesn't matter as far as I'm concerned. I don't want to hear from sources that either knock the president nor the sources that kiss his behind.

Last edited by jk3521; 03-29-2020 at 11:31 AM.
jk3521 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply