Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.33 average.
Old 03-28-2020, 05:32 PM   #2116
lamboguy

i think the main problem are the fake numbers that came out of china 3 months ago. i have no idea why anyone believes them. their numbers are probably many more multiples from what they reported and our's are going to be much worse than what their's were. we should have been more prepared.
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-28-2020, 05:38 PM   #2117
jk3521
Registered Loser

Wouldn't it be great if we had a time machine, and we could see how the virus would've spread and how many people would have been sickened and/or died if NO precautions were taken by any country in the world!
jk3521 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-28-2020, 05:42 PM   #2118
biggestal99

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
MILLIONS in USA get the flu each year.

HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS in USA need hospitalization each year from flu.

TENS OF THOUSANDS in USA die each year from the flu.

How come hospitals in USA aren't overwhelmed from November - March every single year with those kinds of numbers?

And yet, with only 115,000 recorded COVID cases over the last month or two nationwide and only 1,891 deaths attributed to this virus thus far, why do we get article after article promoting some idea that hospitals are CURRENTLY UNDER SIEGE and everything that can go wrong is going wrong in terms of resources being stretched TO THE MAX (and in some cases broken)?

I'm sure a genius on here will come along and reconcile the above.

(and please don't write back with all the crazy PROJECTED NUMBERS of this virus and its POTENTIAL impact...I'm talking HERE AND NOW...articles being written about HERE AND NOW...not WHAT MIGHT BE)
And once again it is not the flu.

Do you think the 500 police officers in NYC get influenza at exactly the same time.COVID-19 is way more contagious and has a longer incubation period.

Allan
biggestal99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-28-2020, 05:47 PM   #2119
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONEY View Post
I'm not a genius by any standard, but maybe the number of infection/deaths in your post
are a product of the steps taken by the government agencies. It's possible that without
the governments intervention that the amount of people negatively affected by this disease
so far, might have been much higher.

I think that the doomsday predictions for the hospitals will not materialize.
I do know that many healthcare workers, including my daughter have not been able to go home for
over a week and are reusing protective gear.
Not disputing any of that, and not looking to get into an argument about it.

Just asking how hospitals cope with flu season every year with hundreds of thousands needing hospitalization and tens of thousands sick enough that they eventually die of it (meaning, they require ICU care I would think).

Yet during this pandemic I am reading articles right now (with 100,000 sick to this point and close to 2k dead) about hospitals being absolutely overwhelmed, some to the breaking point.

I think it's a fair question to explore based totally on numbers at the moment.
Old 03-28-2020, 05:51 PM   #2120
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redboard View Post
The big difference Mike is that there is no Covid-19 vaccine shot like there is for the flu. 1,993 have died so far but three weeks ago there were only 12 deaths. So where are we on the curve? Nobody knows.
Again, you're missing the point.

I'm strictly talking numbers and the stories I keep reading about overwhelmed hospitals.

I'm not interested in whether or not there is a vaccine...having a vaccine doesn't stop hundreds of thousands needing hospitalization for the flu every year, nor does it stop tens of thousands from dying.

The question I am asking is...how come hospitals, EVERY YEAR, don't cry out for supplies and talk about being overwhelmed...but with our current COVID caseload of 100,000 active infections (that we know about) and only 1,800 or so deaths, I keep reading that the healthcare system is ALREADY OVERLOADED, some beyond repair.

I'm not talking about the future...2 weeks, 3 weeks, 4 weeks down the line...I'm talking about NOW and last week...that's when these stories about the hospital system BEING OVERLOADED RIGHT NOW started appearing.

And I ask myself, if the hospital system is ALREADY OVERLOADED (as we're being told), and it's only going to get worse...then how do they handle the flu season every year?
Old 03-28-2020, 05:52 PM   #2121
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggestal99 View Post
And once again it is not the flu.

Do you think the 500 police officers in NYC get influenza at exactly the same time.COVID-19 is way more contagious and has a longer incubation period.

Allan
You guys have COMPLETELY MISSED the point of my question...and instead, as usual, want to throw in these talking points that have ZERO RELEVANCE to the specific questions I have asked.

It is obviously useless to try and have a rational discussion.

The only reason I bring up the flu is because it is the only disease I know that causes hundreds of thousands of people to require hospitalization every winter...and the only disease I know that causes millions of infections...and tens of thousands of death...every year...

So it should put an ENORMOUS STRAIN on hospitals....considering COVID-19 is BREAKING HOSPITALS and the caseload currently isn't anywhere near where the flu might be at peak season.

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 03-28-2020 at 05:54 PM.
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-28-2020, 05:52 PM   #2122
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by horses4courses View Post
Drinks all round?
My three playing partners all thought I deserved a "one." But technically it wasn't a hole-in-one because it never went in a hole. No drinks.

Redboard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-28-2020, 05:55 PM   #2123
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

But you guys continue on with your talking points...putting words in my mouth (didn't say COVID-19 = FLU)....just keep doing what you do...and do best...

I'll just keep asking logical questions...based on numbers....
Old 03-28-2020, 06:01 PM   #2124
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
But you guys continue on with your talking points...putting words in my mouth (didn't say COVID-19 = FLU)....just keep doing what you do...and do best...

I'll just keep asking logical questions...based on numbers....
Then I'll say it....CV is a very strong strain of FLU...Hyperbole MSM driven bullshit...
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-28-2020, 06:02 PM   #2125
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall View Post
Then I'll say it....CV is a very strong strain of FLU...Hyperbole MSM driven bullshit...
I don't care WHAT IT IS.

I am TALKING STRICTLY NUMBERS.

Why can hospitals handle HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of admissions every single flu season, and TENS OF THOUSANDS of ICU patients who end up dying...but they can't currently handle what is going on NOW and the last couple of weeks....I've been reading articles all over the place how OVERWHELMED the system is PRESENTLY.

That's the bottom line question.
Old 03-28-2020, 06:08 PM   #2126
classhandicapper

I think the fact that Covid-19 and the flu are overlapping is putting more strain on hospitals. But flu season is almost over. So hopefully that will give us some more breathing room on top of the temporary hospitals being built and the
medical military ships being on their way here.

To be honest, I'm starting to worry about food distribution.

I'm hearing rumors that some truckers are reluctant to ship food into NYC and supermarket workers in parts of Queens are starting to refuse to work. If some of the supermarkets start closing in NYC all hell is going to break loose.

Just double their pay and give them plenty of masks and gloves with appropriate distancing!! Whatever they want. We can't have food shortages.
Old 03-28-2020, 06:10 PM   #2127
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
I think the fact that Covid-19 and the flu are overlapping is putting more strain on hospitals. But flu season is almost over. So hopefully that will give us some more breathing room on top of the temporary hospitals being built and the
medical military ships being on their way here.

To be honest, I'm starting to worry about food distribution.

I'm hearing rumors that some truckers are reluctant to ship food into NYC and supermarket workers in parts of Queens are starting to refuse to work. If some of the supermarkets start closing in NYC all hell is going to break loose.

Just double their pay and give them plenty of masks and gloves with appropriate distancing!! Whatever they want. We can't have food shortages.
Don't be ridiculous. It's all going to go to hell because the media and everyone else can't stop scaring the shit out of people.

It's going to get WAY WORSE than you could even imagine. Because people can't get off the crazy train.
Old 03-28-2020, 06:10 PM   #2128
lamboguy

in my opinion, the problem with the corona is that so many people are asymptomatic and the fact that it spreads so fast.

right now there are 120,000 confirmed cases of this rotten virus. no doubt in my mind that there are millions that are carrying this virus, most don't know they have it. the way the confirmed cases are coming in now is mighty scary.
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-28-2020, 06:11 PM   #2129
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
in my opinion, the problem with the corona is that so many people are asymptomatic and the fact that it spreads so fast.
A virus that is so dangerous, tons of people will never present symptoms...ok....definitely worth it.
Old 03-28-2020, 06:13 PM   #2130
MONEY

Quote:
I don't care WHAT IT IS.

I am TALKING STRICTLY NUMBERS.

Why can hospitals handle HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of admissions every single flu season, and TENS OF THOUSANDS of ICU patients who end up dying...but they can't currently handle what is going on NOW and the last couple of weeks....I've been reading articles all over the place how OVERWHELMED the system is PRESENTLY.

That's the bottom line question.
From my experience with big city hospitals, both professionally and personally, I can confidently tell you
that big city hospitals exist in a state of overwhelmed.

Staff at these hospitals are expert multitaskers and can treat multiple patients with all sorts of ailments
simultaneously.

The addition of thousands of new patients to an already overwhelmed system will eventually lead to victims not receiving proper care.