Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 09-12-2022, 03:06 PM   #61
affirmedny

Quote:
Originally Posted by shout1966 View Post
As i suspected unless he is on vacation Rich Perloff's shows on monday and tuesday are history.They have replaced a well done show which included the viewers in the show somewhat, with the hacks that try to do both horse racing and sports betting I hope some execs read this and understand how they are going to chase viewers away with this crap and FYI I bet sports but when i watched this channel i am focused on horse racing and really do not like the force fed hacks that now are on the air. An when i mean hacks I mean hacks.
Why would you think he's on vacation? He's been on all afternoon.
affirmedny is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-12-2022, 06:16 PM   #62
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ View Post
CDI has sold a 49% stake in United Tote to a NYRA Holding Company and used their remaining 51% majority position to open the United Tote infrastructure to FanDuel to adding horse racing to sports parlay tickets. Hence, CDI derisks their United Tote position while also creating a potential growth opportunity in the sports wagering market. (Example : Let me have a parlay of football team X, proposition bet Y, and horse Z.)

By making this move however, CDI flags us that their ownership and growth prospects for their Twin Spires ADW cannot possibly be as strong (and consumer sticky) as a TVG partnership would be.

Therefore, in the battle of the tracks needing to own their own ADWs to channel handle directly into their own pools, CDI is from my perspective throwing in the towel. As a result, the alignment with NYRA and the America's Day at the Races broadcasts no longer has direct value to CDI shareholders and those rights gained by FanDuel as a foundation element of the deal could unlock revenue.

We have to examine CDI for what it is : a publicly traded company driven by total shareholder return on capital invested. CDI is real estate rich and revenue/growth weak.

To that end, my view is that you are watching the second step in CDI's fragmented intent to wind down their holdings in horse racing (the first step being Arlington) with FanDuel being a wagering growth engine or a potential acquirer of racetrack assets as with Fairmount Park.
well that explains it pretty well. You think they could develop a property like Churchill Downs into something else, would the City/State even let that happen?

I would imagine not all their properties are great real estate locations like Arlington.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-13-2022, 01:14 PM   #63
wisconsin

It's going to be tougher to watch TVG, sorry, FanDuel, moving forward, the network is under the assumption sports bettors are tuning in for horse racing. Hilarious. They are speaking a new language to horse players who must be too stupid to understand 8-1 is like +800 and visa versa. Also going into abnormal detail aboout horse stuff, starting gates, etc.

Last edited by wisconsin; 09-13-2022 at 01:16 PM.
wisconsin is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-13-2022, 02:30 PM   #64
$w1fT
SaratogaFan1

The horse racing is just filler until the network gets wider distribution and thus able to secure better advertising and programming.
$w1fT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-13-2022, 03:24 PM   #65
horsefan2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by $w1fT View Post
The horse racing is just filler until the network gets wider distribution and thus able to secure better advertising and programming.
Their fate was sealed years ago when it was sold. I'm surprised they didn't make changes a lot sooner since the ownership change.
horsefan2019 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-14-2022, 09:16 AM   #66
Al Gobbi

Al Gobbi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-16-2022, 02:04 PM   #67
ubercapper

Quote:
To that end, my view is that you are watching the second step in CDI's fragmented intent to wind down their holdings in horse racing (the first step being Arlington) with FanDuel being a wagering growth engine or a potential acquirer of racetrack assets as with Fairmount Park.
I think you're missing something here and that is cash flow and growth from HHR. CDI is buying Colonial and the Rosie's establishments which they can grow in Virginia (adding more HHR terminals) but that requires for every 100 machines added an additional race day per year so likely another 10 to 30 days at Colonial annually.

Then they just spent $79 million in cash for Ellis Park because of the HHR facility (which they can expand) and are opening a satellite HHR/Simulcast Facility in Owensboro which will bring in millions per month.

Some of that has to go to purses and there's no decoupling possible in Kentucky so along with Turfway, Ellis Park and Churchill there's going to be a strong year round racing circuit in the stated owned by CDI, plus of course Keeneland and Kentucky Downs. In the end, no winding down of CDI's horse racing holdings in these two states whatsoever because they drive shareholder value through HHR.

Last edited by ubercapper; 09-16-2022 at 02:05 PM.
ubercapper is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-16-2022, 08:20 PM   #68
ScottJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubercapper View Post
I think you're missing something here and that is cash flow and growth from HHR. CDI is buying Colonial and the Rosie's establishments which they can grow in Virginia (adding more HHR terminals) but that requires for every 100 machines added an additional race day per year so likely another 10 to 30 days at Colonial annually.

Then they just spent $79 million in cash for Ellis Park because of the HHR facility (which they can expand) and are opening a satellite HHR/Simulcast Facility in Owensboro which will bring in millions per month.

Some of that has to go to purses and there's no decoupling possible in Kentucky so along with Turfway, Ellis Park and Churchill there's going to be a strong year round racing circuit in the stated owned by CDI, plus of course Keeneland and Kentucky Downs. In the end, no winding down of CDI's horse racing holdings in these two states whatsoever because they drive shareholder value through HHR.
Your thesis depends on the fact that decoupling does not come into reality. How did that work out in Florida?

The $79M in cash made CDI a corporate raid target to gain access to the capital. Buying Ellis Park moves the cash off the books, allows CDI more direct control over the Kentucky racing calendar, and drives the circuit down to three tracks with two owners which is much easier to shrink to two tracks.

For those who think I have this wrong, I understand. But answer just one question : name one racetrack acquisition by CDI which has been a long term success for racing.
ScottJ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-17-2022, 09:49 AM   #69
ubercapper

Quote:
Your thesis depends on the fact that decoupling does not come into reality. How did that work out in Florida?

For those who think I have this wrong, I understand. But answer just one question : name one racetrack acquisition by CDI which has been a long term success for racing.
Kentucky is not Florida nor Illinois nor California.

There can be NO decoupling. I've lived her 21 years and understand how the politics of this state works. Both the house and senate are pro-racing and the laws enacted which allow for HHR do not have any wiggle room for decoupling, nor will they, dare I say ever.

CDI's acquisition of Turfway Park, and now Ellis Park, is based on the revenue derived from HHR, which they are expanding, and which is tied to racing. Although there's no room for more racing dates on the calendar because Kentucky has a strong year round circuit, there is room to grow purses, continue stable field sizes and attract handle year round with races bettors want to wager on. HHR is of course a way to increase shareholder value, but just like in Virginia, it is inextricably tied to racing so racing will succeed (notwithstanding any extrinsic factors) in both places to enhance shareholder value overall.
ubercapper is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-17-2022, 10:17 AM   #70
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Gobbi View Post
That info bar is the dumbest thing. If you watch on a 5 foot TV, you can read it.

TVG hosts making the most f it, Perloff working with others is good.
Everything related to the Fan Duel side just sucks.
Old 09-17-2022, 11:49 AM   #71
Cuffdaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
That info bar is the dumbest thing. If you watch on a 5 foot TV, you can read it.

TVG hosts making the most f it, Perloff working with others is good.
Everything related to the Fan Duel side just sucks.
That info bar even hides the bottom half when tracks use a split screen.

They do not have the technology to remove the info bar during a race?
Cuffdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-19-2022, 10:49 AM   #72
shout1966

Quote:
Originally Posted by affirmedny View Post
Why would you think he's on vacation? He's been on all afternoon.

My post was before he was on the air.

Really will miss his Monday, Tuesday shows if this is the way it will be.
shout1966 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-19-2022, 11:13 AM   #73
castaway01

Everyone here bitched and moaned about TVG since its inception.

Now TVG has changed, and everyone wants the old TVG back.

You can't make it up.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-19-2022, 11:21 AM   #74
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway01 View Post
Everyone here bitched and moaned about TVG since its inception.

Now TVG has changed, and everyone wants the old TVG back.

You can't make it up.
I don't have TVG so I don't know what happened, but a change for the worse will do that, no?
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-19-2022, 11:53 AM   #75
classhandicapper

I think we'll see how much they care about racing if they fix the info bar.