Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 4.20 average.
Old 09-18-2022, 12:52 PM   #2086
ScottJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG4 View Post
What is the point of putting the starting gate so far away from the inside rail again?
To preserve the inner paths for running races as much as possible.
ScottJ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-18-2022, 10:34 PM   #2087
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ View Post
To preserve the inner paths for running races as much as possible.
That isn't why they keep the gate away the rail, that is why they move the rail. I mean, the horse move right over to the inside, right?

It is to try to reduce potential trouble for the inside horses as far as I know. I'm not a big fan of it personally. It kind of distorts studying post positions. All 1 posts, for example, are not created equal when this practice is in place.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-18-2022, 10:50 PM   #2088
ScottJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
That isn't why they keep the gate away the rail, that is why they move the rail. I mean, the horse move right over to the inside, right?
The rail is moved to rest sections of the track. Once the rails are moved, paths on the "new" track are preserved by positioning the gate towards the outside rail when possible.

When horses break from the gate, there is additional cut in the ground created by the initial launch of forward momentum. Hence, setting the gate towards the outside saves that cutting.

Also worth mentioning is that the gate - which itself is heavy - does not need to be rolled across as much of the grass course.

Last edited by ScottJ; 09-18-2022 at 10:53 PM.
Old 09-18-2022, 11:48 PM   #2089
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ View Post
The rail is moved to rest sections of the track. Once the rails are moved, paths on the "new" track are preserved by positioning the gate towards the outside rail when possible.

When horses break from the gate, there is additional cut in the ground created by the initial launch of forward momentum. Hence, setting the gate towards the outside saves that cutting.

Also worth mentioning is that the gate - which itself is heavy - does not need to be rolled across as much of the grass course.
Then why do they at time roll empty stalls inside the temp rail? That happens often, as I'm guessing you know.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-19-2022, 08:58 AM   #2090
ScottJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Then why do they at time roll empty stalls inside the temp rail? That happens often, as I'm guessing you know.
It depends whether the gate is inserted onto the turf course from the inner rail or the outer rail.

Typically in New York, the gate on the inner turf courses is rolled onto the track from the infield. On the outer turf courses, the gate is rolled from the dirt course.

In both situations, it avoids needing to place extra wooden boards across the ground to displace the weight of the gate.
Old 09-23-2022, 03:31 PM   #2091
wisconsin

Wow again. What does it take?

I have it either way. However, CD race 6

drifts out and bumps the not once, not twice, but three times, the third time soundly, paths out, and beats the by a nose.

Honestly, what is going on? Pathetic, inconsistent, and simply biased. Journeyman vs bug boy.
Old 09-23-2022, 09:52 PM   #2092
SG4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisconsin View Post
Wow again. What does it take?

I have it either way. However, CD race 6

drifts out and bumps the not once, not twice, but three times, the third time soundly, paths out, and beats the by a nose.

Honestly, what is going on? Pathetic, inconsistent, and simply biased. Journeyman vs bug boy.

That was very surprising, wonder what the logic was in letting that stand. Maybe they felt the worst bump was a little too close to the wire? Also having an inquiry be so lengthy & leaving it up was unusual as well.

If they make that DQ I wonder if there's a big pick 6 carryover instead of the jackpot being emptied out, so looks like corporate might take a fair hit in the pocket for that bad call. Not implying the decision was related at all to this, just perhaps a little bad karma for the CD folks.
SG4 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-23-2022, 10:29 PM   #2093
wisconsin

The third bump so close to the wire when the was coming back to miss by a nose. Like I said, had it either way, but come on, paying way more to the .

Apprentice got boned there, he was pretty disgusted afterword.
Old 10-07-2022, 05:26 PM   #2094
menifee

The DQ at 10.7.22 Kee 5 today cost me the pick 5. I thought it was the worse dq I have ever seen. I'm bias of course. Would love some objective thoughts
menifee is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-07-2022, 05:35 PM   #2095
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by menifee View Post
The DQ at 10.7.22 Kee 5 today cost me the pick 5. I thought it was the worse dq I have ever seen. I'm bias of course. Would love some objective thoughts
was my big bet for the day. I dont quite understand other than an early message to riders to stay in your lanes.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-07-2022, 06:00 PM   #2096
Andy Asaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
was my big bet for the day. I dont quite understand other than an early message to riders to stay in your lanes.
Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-07-2022, 06:07 PM   #2097
GMB@BP

The DQ in the stake felt a lot more legitimate.
Old 10-07-2022, 09:54 PM   #2098
wisconsin

Quote:

Cost me some money as well. See my post #2091 and tell me how today was worse than that. It's objective, but inconsistent at best.
Old 10-07-2022, 10:06 PM   #2099
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisconsin View Post
Cost me some money as well. See my post #2091 and tell me how today was worse than that. It's objective, but inconsistent at best.
well when they were walking around waiting the first thing I did was look up the trainers, thats when I got real concerned.
Old 10-07-2022, 10:56 PM   #2100
Parkview_Pirate

Quote:
IMHO, a terrible ruling - very ticky-tack. There was mutual bumping in the lane. The winner was taken down for "floating" the place horse wide at the top of the stretch, and for a late bump near the wire. But in between it appeared to me the place horse moved out to make contact with the winner. I don't see how any firm decision can be made that the result should have been reversed.

As usual, when human qualitative interpretation is allowed, there will be problems like this. Like the now defunct poster Still Riled Up (SRU) used to say, "Pay the Winners". In other words, leave the finish unchanged for parimutuel payouts, and let the stewards and the jockeys enforce riding infractions and purse changes later on. If I have to get hosed by being beaten in the Derby by a horse that fails the post-race drug test, I shouldn't get hosed on payouts by a whim of the stewards like today.
Parkview_Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: