Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Computers

Old 08-13-2015, 06:42 PM   #31
barn32
tmrpots

I upgraded to Win 10 and there is good and bad, first the good.

Excel spreadsheets took forever and a day to open and even longer to close with Win 8. Now it is very, very fast. And just for that reason alone I'm glad I upgraded.

However, I lost most of my font settings for Windows and for Firefox, and it took a long time to figure out how to get things "close" to the way they were.

But my biggest problem right now is sound volume. With everything set to maximum I can barely hear the audio, and if air conditioning or something is running in the background it's impossible to hear at all.

I've been searching for a solution, but there isn't really much out there yet for Win 10. I did find this little trick, but it doesn't work for me.

Any suggestions?
barn32 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-14-2015, 04:30 PM   #32
MONEY

I installed windows 10 on 08/12.

Yesterday 08/13 I got an email from my internet provider warning me about stealing music files.
The file that I was accused of stealing was called " You and Your Friends (feat. Snoop Dogg & Ty Dolla $ign).mp3"
I've heard of Snoop Dog in the news & I've never heard of Ty Dolla $ign.

Anyway I checked my programs & found that along with Windows 10, a program called "sugarsync" was installed in my
computer. "Sugarsync" is a file sharing P2P program that can be used for sharing programs & music illegally.

I just finished uninstalling the program and I hope that it doesn't come back.

Just letting you know, to check on may have been installed into your computer along with the upgrade to Windows 10.
MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-15-2015, 10:02 AM   #33
headhawg
crusty old guy

Sugarsync is like Dropbox; a cloud drive that let's you store files. It is not a P2P file sharing program. If something like that was included in a Windows 10 update it would be all over the Interwebz. The warning that you got sounds like a scam to me.
headhawg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-15-2015, 12:20 PM   #34
MONEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhawg
Sugarsync is like Dropbox; a cloud drive that let's you store files. It is not a P2P file sharing program. If something like that was included in a Windows 10 update it would be all over the Interwebz. The warning that you got sounds like a scam to me.
I checked with uverse & they did send the warning.
MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-21-2015, 06:17 PM   #35
FocusWiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
My boot up and restarts actually seem faster, but even if wrong they aren't slow by any means.
I believe that I found the cause of the delays on my machine in the days after upgrading to Windows 10.

Without me realizing it, Microsoft reverted to their earlier 8 rule that your SkyDrive/OneDrive local store could not be on a removable drive. On this machine, the OneDrive data was located on a Micro SD card while I was using Windows 8.

Once I upgraded to Windows 10, the OS thought to itself, "I can't let this data reside there." and it created a new OneDrive location on my C: Drive. The delays and heat and thrashing I was seeing was likely Microsoft copying everything on my OneDrive back to my C: Drive where I do not want it.

That plus the fact that you need to trick the system now to make it think your removable drive is part of your C: Drive has been a small relearning experience.

I am glad I discovered this before I got a Drive Full error.
FocusWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply