Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 04-03-2020, 05:22 AM   #1
thaskalos

What's a horseplayer to do?

It's obvious that we are only days away from having all our racetracks shut down...and it's anybody's guess how long this hiatus will last. Dilanesp suggested some time ago that this would be the perfect time for our government officials to legalize and offer online poker to the bored-to-death gamblers...but this idea is admittedly too much of a longshot for us to entertain seriously. I've been noticing that horse racing is alive and well in Australia and Hong Kong though...and their running schedule as shown on Twinspires compares very favorably with my own sleeping schedule. And I wonder why the ADWs here are not making a better presentation of their overseas product to their local customers...since the foreign product is the only thing that they will soon be left with to peddle. Can't the ADWs here get their hands on some better past-performances for the overseas action...so the local customers here can be enticed to bet a little more on these races than they currently do? Isn't this better than just returning our deposits and closing shop?
Old 04-03-2020, 07:39 AM   #2
CheckMark

My local betting place online would have to be HPIbet, since I am Canadian and there is no other option. I have yet to sign up for an account even though I have hit the legal age for horse racing and lottery wagering (18). Hpi does offer international pps for all Australian racetracks and including Sha Tin, South Korea racing and also UK racing cards. Sucks that other betting websites could do something since the international markets could possibly get bigger pools from the US and Canada if possibly the world, if other racetracks across the country shut down. I wish the online betting websites would be like “here is some free pps for all tracks still running and if you would like to we can give you your money back lol”

Just wish others who do not know the frustration on horseplayers right now could understand that we are ALL losing a sport we love and then if they do decide to shut down all tracks, then offer us some great deals for international racing so that we can still have fun and wager on the race still!
Old 04-03-2020, 07:51 AM   #3
Gorrex

Most ADWs have the free PPs for international but... international PPs are nothing like US players are used to and want.

We've tried to work with multiple different providers to get more data. So far to date only the UK groups have been working on it. They've been working on it for years though so no idea if/when it will ever actually happen.

This is one case its not for lack of trying, just simply no one else around the world cares enough to track those data points as their bettors don't use them. The one outlier is HK which has huge data available just not so much in PP form..

Jason Martin
IT Director
AmWest Entertainment - AmWager
Gorrex is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-03-2020, 08:33 AM   #4
Sparky13

I have about 3 years of old DRFs. I will try several of my software and pencil methods to help spend the time once all the tracks shut down. Did I just read Golden Gate is the latest to shut down?
Sparky13 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-03-2020, 09:30 AM   #5
groupie doll

what's a horseplayer to do in current times?

...start watching more movies and cooking more. At least that's what I've been doing other than what work I can get done remotely.
Still been watching GP and OP too...

Last edited by groupie doll; 04-03-2020 at 09:32 AM. Reason: clarity or lack thereof
groupie doll is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-03-2020, 10:26 AM   #6
Robert Fischer
clean money

What's a horseplayer to do?

If you figure it out, let me know. Post up suggestions/ideas...

Looking at Oaklawn today.

Studying some ideas w/ psychology. Attempting to learn how to 'mitigate' some of the mistakes and weaknesses in my game.

Doing a lot of walking. Good time to sharpen up on health and fitness.
Old 04-03-2020, 11:49 AM   #7
dilanesp

One hopeful point for horseplayers is that Oaklawn and Gulfstream are in the South. I don't want to go off topic into politics, but I think I can say that the politics of the South are, writ large, somewhat less friendly to social distancing measures. Now maybe that will change if we see 2,000 deaths in Florida or something. But as of now, those two tracks seem to be threading the regulatory needle.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-03-2020, 12:07 PM   #8
chiguy

For Australia, try an app called racenet.au It has an unbelievable amount of information and helps you make informed decisions. I am really enjoying it.
chiguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-03-2020, 12:18 PM   #9
RunForTheRoses

RunForTheRoses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-03-2020, 01:10 PM   #10
clicknow

I feel pretty certain that Oaklawn is going to keep running.

The values have been pretty good lately. Yesterday esp.

Rained in pitter patter last night, raining more today........s'pose to rain for next 4 days so plan accordingly.

We got 2 nice days this week......which is about all ya' get during Spring rainy season here.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-03-2020, 01:11 PM   #11
JohnGalt1

How do you like betting against each other without the casual fans that attend live racing.

No one is betting a horse because it has a cute name, or just because it's gray.

I've noticed the morning line are more out of whack too, since consideration is made for the on track players.

A week or so ago I bet an 8-1 morning line horse who entered the gate at 4-1, won and paid $4.40. Another race I passed on because any one could win had a 12-1 ML win at 2-1.

These happened all the time before empty stands but I think it's more prevalent now with more astute and serious betters.

What say you?
JohnGalt1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-03-2020, 01:26 PM   #12
Nitro

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
It's obvious that we are only days away from having all our racetracks shut down...and it's anybody's guess how long this hiatus will last. Dilanesp suggested some time ago that this would be the perfect time for our government officials to legalize and offer online poker to the bored-to-death gamblers...but this idea is admittedly too much of a longshot for us to entertain seriously. I've been noticing that horse racing is alive and well in Australia and Hong Kong though...and their running schedule as shown on Twinspires compares very favorably with my own sleeping schedule. And I wonder why the ADWs here are not making a better presentation of their overseas product to their local customers...since the foreign product is the only thing that they will soon be left with to peddle. Can't the ADWs here get their hands on some better past-performances for the overseas action...so the local customers here can be enticed to bet a little more on these races than they currently do? Isn't this better than just returning our deposits and closing shop?
For Hong Kong there’s no PP data peddling involved for what I believe to be the best horse racing product on the planet.

For this Sunday’s past performances at SHA TIN’s 10 race card use the following link:
https://racing.hkjc.com/racing/conte...tarter_all.pdf

For the Form Guide
https://racing.hkjc.com/racing/speed...rmguide/1.html

For the Speed Map
https://racing.hkjc.com/racing/speed...edguide/1.html

For Live Video Feed:
http://thoroughbrednews.com.au/news/...=livestreaming

For Results and Video Replays: (When you get to this link just select and change to the correct date)
https://racing.hkjc.com/racing/infor...ate=2020/04/01

For the Live betting Win/Place: (Or select other available pools)
https://bet.hkjc.com/racing/pages/od...ue=ST&raceno=1

And it’s all free and there's no need to use any information from your ADW!
Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-03-2020, 01:40 PM   #13
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGalt1 View Post
How do you like betting against each other without the casual fans that attend live racing.

No one is betting a horse because it has a cute name, or just because it's gray.

I've noticed the morning line are more out of whack too, since consideration is made for the on track players.

A week or so ago I bet an 8-1 morning line horse who entered the gate at 4-1, won and paid $4.40. Another race I passed on because any one could win had a 12-1 ML win at 2-1.

These happened all the time before empty stands but I think it's more prevalent now with more astute and serious betters.

What say you?
I would agree that if your desire is to make +EV plays at the races, you are going to need to be very selective, and the tendency is going to be to want to bet a high percentage of the races because so few are offered.

It's the same dynamic as the NFL playoffs. Very few games, odds that should be very close to fully efficient. (One of my favorite quotes about sports betting, which I heard from an expert on the topic, was "if you bet the Super Bowl, you are a loser". While obviously, that's not true as a blanket 100 percent statement as some winning players do bet the Super Bowl, the actual point of it- the Super Bowl is a situation where gamblers desperately want to bet it because it is the only game left to bet, but is also a situation where it is highly unlikely for there to be inefficiencies in the pool- is precisely true.)

Waiting for a spot is as important now as it ever could be, and the problem is, you may have to wait significantly longer for a spot than you would under ordinary circumstances.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-03-2020, 01:41 PM   #14
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro View Post
For Hong Kong there’s no PP data peddling involved for what I believe to be the best horse racing product on the planet.

For this Sunday’s past performances at SHA TIN’s 10 race card use the following link:
https://racing.hkjc.com/racing/conte...tarter_all.pdf

For the Form Guide
https://racing.hkjc.com/racing/speed...rmguide/1.html

For the Speed Map
https://racing.hkjc.com/racing/speed...edguide/1.html

For Live Video Feed:
http://thoroughbrednews.com.au/news/...=livestreaming

For Results and Video Replays: (When you get to this link just select and change to the correct date)
https://racing.hkjc.com/racing/infor...ate=2020/04/01

For the Live betting Win/Place: (Or select other available pools)
https://bet.hkjc.com/racing/pages/od...ue=ST&raceno=1

And it’s all free and there's no need to use any information from your ADW!
Thank you...I will eagerly check these resources out.
Old 04-03-2020, 01:42 PM   #15
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiguy View Post
For Australia, try an app called racenet.au It has an unbelievable amount of information and helps you make informed decisions. I am really enjoying it.
Thank you.