Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Contests + Other Interesting Racing Topics > Harness Racing

Old 04-01-2020, 10:21 AM   #31
RunForTheRoses

It was fun playing but damn that track was either feast or famine.
RunForTheRoses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-01-2020, 11:02 AM   #32
jimnancy

When I was younger much younger Sacramento-Golden Bear raceway was the summer stop for harness racing in California. In the 70s the circuit was Hollywood Park-Bay Meadows and Golden Bear. Latter Los Alamitos took over for Hollywood. It was a year round racing circuit and horseman could stay in California not having to go back east. Bay Meadows was the next to drop harness racing so it was just L.A. and Sac.

Not sure what year it was but L.A. dropped harness racing and Sac. was only one standing. Not sure how they survived one person after another stepped up and kept them racing so now the circuit is Minnesota Running Aces in summer and Cal Expo in the winter-spring.

Horse owner Lloyd Arnold owned Golden Bear Raceway. He was a great promoter I remember him giving away a Cadillac a week to get people out to the track. It worked in the 70s they drew crowds of 6k to 10k for Saturday night.

One of Lloyd's best horse's was Warm Breeze. Golden Bear raced Sunday Afternoons then. In summer the temp was usually in the 90s so Lloyd brought Warm Breeze out to California to see how fast he could on a hot Sunday afternoon. Warm Breeze set a new world record of 153.1. Of course increasing his stud value.

These are some of the things that I remember of the time I fell in love with harness racing.
jimnancy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-01-2020, 11:18 AM   #33
chiguy

Had a ton of fun playing this last night. My handicapping buddy from the old days was on speed dial as we practiced social distancing. Had a good night. Hit the .10 cent pick six on a $30 ticket for $288. Not a great ROI but it was fun going along. Four dead favorites, one 2nd choice (I believe) and a 30-1 shot that I included only because Kennedy was driving him. Also bet $3 WP on that horse so it made my night. What I have noticed about CalX and most small tracks is that the favorites are way over bet. Last race last night was a great example. The 8 horse was the one to beat but his task was tough from that post and the price too low. I played a couple of shots that were way over what they should have been but I didn't get the 5 who I believe was 30-1. Overall a bunch of fun on these boring nights after work. Big thanks to everyone working to keep that meet going.
chiguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-01-2020, 08:06 PM   #34
wilderness

jimnancy,
In the 40s and 50s there was a Northern Calif., Fair Circuit that Finished up in Canada. Very little historical data available, but have names of some of the locations.

For a short while (don't recall dates) there was also a Cal Fair PM Circuit of 3-4 tracks with wagering. Similar to the Cal Summer Fair for T-Breds.
Old 04-01-2020, 08:29 PM   #35
CheckMark

Cal-Expo cancelled

https://standardbredcanada.ca/notice...ds-racing.html

So much for harness action! Let’s see who else is on the diving board to cancellation waters.

Good thing my country has a great harness website for updates
Old 04-03-2020, 11:15 AM   #36
jimnancy

Wilderness,
Before my time they used to run the harness at the old state fair grounds in Sacramento during the 2 week state fair. They also ran Thoroughbreds at the same time on the same track. The track was deep for the TBs no wonder they went in times like 2.10 for the mile.

I think Cal Expo was opened in 1969 or sometime around there. Cal Expo is short for California Exposition. Every year they still have the California State fair and run a two week mixed breed fair racing meet. Mixed bread no harness TB, Appaloosas and Mules.

Last edited by jimnancy; 04-03-2020 at 11:16 AM.
jimnancy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply