Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 1.80 average.
Old 01-24-2017, 07:16 PM   #106
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckless
So I gather the downside of free market globalism is OK then? This part is always ignored when people bash Trump on his trade policies and goals.
There are no such things as free markets. Some markets are freer than others. It is not bashing to point out reality.

The reality is that global markets are an inevitable fact of modern life. Without more or less free trade, consumer prices in this country would be much higher, placing a serious burden on lower and middle class workers. People in the Trump camp have acknowledged that Trump's tariff proposals would raise the cost of basic consumer goods by 10-15%.

Restrictions on trade would also greatly harm many of our largest corporations and employers. Our big corporations could not exist without foreign markets in which to sell their products. The US market is just not large enough to support those companies and the jobs they provide. In addition, many large US exporters are also some of the largest importers in this country, importing inputs needed to produce outputs that they export. Restrictions or tariffs on what those companies import will hurt their ability to compete in their export markets.

Trump proposes to make our markets less free than they are. That would help some industries and some jobs, but would harm many other industries and jobs that now rely on global trade. I have seen no evidence that the overall effect would be good for the people who end up paying for it, the American consumers.
Old 01-24-2017, 07:27 PM   #107
johnhannibalsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker
...I have seen no evidence that the overall effect would be good for the people who end up paying for it, the American consumers.
You mean charge it. Double the upside!

-Robert James Smith, 1989
Old 01-25-2017, 01:33 AM   #108
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by highnote
Obviously.
So you think that the American public is too stupid to know what is good for them, and needs elites to tell them what they should do?

How very progressive of you.
Old 01-25-2017, 07:26 AM   #109
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Sausage is best judged by tasting it, not by watching it being made.
Old 01-25-2017, 09:17 AM   #110
maddog42

Trump aides Keep Calling him a Madman

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2017/1...-title-changed

The Post’s story is chock-full of remarkable details. To list just a few:

1. After forcing Spicer to baldly lie to the White House press corps about the size of his inauguration crowd, the president fumed that his press secretary’s performance was “not forceful enough.” According to Axios, Trump was also incensed by Spicer’s poor taste in suits, and is already considering treating the former RNC staffer to his signature catchphrase.

2. Trump already “feels demoralized that the public’s perception of his presidency so far does not necessarily align with his own sense of accomplishment.”

3. Some Trump aides think Kellyanne Conway is trying to undermine Spicer so as to steal his job.

4. Jared Kushner tried to prevent Conway from being invited into the White House at all, because he viewed her “as a possible threat to his role as Trump’s chief consigliere.”

Spicer may not last out the month. He dresses poorly and cannot lie convincingly.
Kellyanne Conway is a much better paid liar and she WILL get his job.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer...-a-madman.html

Last edited by maddog42; 01-25-2017 at 09:21 AM.
Old 01-25-2017, 09:27 AM   #111
maddog42

The president is a 70-year-old child whose TV time must be closely monitored — because any news story that upsets his ego will trigger a temper tantrum followed by irrational demands that his indulgent, overwhelmed guardians will be helpless to refuse.

We have elected a madman and more and more people are starting to accept this fact.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer...-a-madman.html
Old 01-25-2017, 09:33 AM   #112
Grits

Quote:
Spicer may not last out the month. He dresses poorly and cannot lie convincingly. Kellyanne Conway is a much better paid liar and she WILL get his job.
Not happening. She's a baffoon, the worst thing his campaign, his administration has yet rolled out. Her decision to create the term, alternative facts, proved so beyond any doubt. (If there ever was one.)

In a nutshell, the reality is simple. He'll climb a tree to tell a lie before he'll stand on the ground to tell the truth. She'll swear to anything that comes out of his mouth.

He needs to move on with business, these investigations he's announcing are clutter. Voter fraud, bigger crowds, etc. .... No. Just do the job. I've come to the conclusion I can handle 4 years of Trump far better than I can handle 4 years of Conway.
Old 01-25-2017, 09:50 AM   #113
maddog42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits
Not happening. She's a baffoon, the worst thing his campaign, his administration has yet rolled out. Her decision to create the term, alternative facts, proved so beyond any doubt. (If there ever was one.)

In a nutshell, the reality is simple. He'll climb a tree to tell a lie before he'll stand on the ground to tell the truth. She'll swear to anything that comes out of his mouth.

He needs to move on with business, these investigations he's announcing are clutter. Voter fraud, bigger crowds, etc. .... No. Just do the job. I've come to the conclusion I can handle 4 years of Trump far better than I can handle 4 years of Conway.
I don't have enough info to tell if you are right. But remember that Conway has been doing this for a months and has had much more rope to hang herself. Spicer just a few days. She has faced the media a few hundred times and has made bigger screw-ups, but give Spicer time.
Old 01-25-2017, 09:57 AM   #114
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Give the media time. I would have thrown out that idiot who asked if they would be told the truth.

Anyone who doubts that has no business in that room.
Spicer should have asked him he would report the truth.
Unlikely.

The press should be treated like trash, which what most of them are.
Old 01-25-2017, 10:07 AM   #115
Grits

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog42
I don't have enough info to tell if you are right. But remember that Conway has been doing this for a months and has had much more rope to hang herself. Spicer just a few days. She has faced the media a few hundred times and has made bigger screw-ups, but give Spicer time.
My mom reminded me last night that she has been around a really long time. Too, recall that she was aligned with Cruz until Trump began gaining steam. As the old saying goes, "you got the money, I got the time."

Now, she has secret service protection due to death threats. People have problems with liars.

Quote:
In the 1990s, Conway, along with other young conservative women, Laura Ingraham, Barbara Olsen and Ann Coulter, helped turn punditry into “stylish stardom” in both Washington and cable television She and her fellow conservative women commentators were referred to as a "pundettes".[16][17] As she put it, however, her "broad mind and small waist have not switched places"[18]

Among the political figures Conway worked for were Congressman Jack Kemp; Senator Fred Thompson;[14] former Vice President Dan Quayle;[19] Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich; and Congressman (now Vice President) Mike Pence.[15] She worked as the senior advisor to Gingrich during his unsuccessful 2012 United States presidential election campaign.;[20] another client in 2012 was U.S. Senate candidate Todd Akin.[21]
Old 01-25-2017, 10:54 AM   #116
ElKabong

Elections do have consequences, one of which is butt hurt apparently.

Conway was instrumental in the trump win (have neither the time nor inclination to detail) I can see why this is of great pain to some. Just let it go.

After four years I predict you'll get revenge because trump likely won't want to serve until he's 78, and, the dems will actually run a candidate that can fog a mirror and not pass out on the streets of New York, then disappear for a week or more. All it took was a live body that could campaign without collapsing on the streets on New York... The dems couldn't even accomplish that much.

The best candidate won. You guys and gals may not like trump but at least we don't have a Potus that "earned" her presidency via a fixed primary election.

Last edited by ElKabong; 01-25-2017 at 10:58 AM.
Old 01-25-2017, 01:05 PM   #117
jk3521
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElKabong
Elections do have consequences, one of which is butt hurt apparently.

Conway was instrumental in the trump win (have neither the time nor inclination to detail) I can see why this is of great pain to some. Just let it go.

After four years I predict you'll get revenge because trump likely won't want to serve until he's 78, and, the dems will actually run a candidate that can fog a mirror and not pass out on the streets of New York, then disappear for a week or more. All it took was a live body that could campaign without collapsing on the streets on New York... The dems couldn't even accomplish that much.

The best candidate won. You guys and gals may not like trump but at least we don't have a Potus that "earned" her presidency via a fixed primary election.
Donald Trump was the best candidate for this country in these times. I also think that he will not run for a second term . I don't think it is in him to stay on one project for longer than one term. A combination of frustration that his plans will not succeed in "making America great again" and a feeling of stagnation will take it's toll.

( I also predicted that Trump would win the popular vote and lose the electoral college vote, oh well )

Last edited by jk3521; 01-25-2017 at 01:08 PM.
Old 01-25-2017, 02:11 PM   #118
reckless
Veteran

Good luck with all your predictions about Trump failing. Just don't bet any real money on this happening.
Old 01-25-2017, 02:15 PM   #119
PowerUpPaynter

Good day,

Liberals have ZERO power and are all losing there mind. It absolutely hilarious to watch. Our Brexit.

Cheers
Old 01-25-2017, 02:36 PM   #120
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Donald Trump was the best candidate for this country in these times. I also think that he will not run for a second term
At the pace he's setting this week, he won't have anything left to do in a second term!