Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 10-24-2004, 12:37 PM   #1
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

Galloping Grocer

Had a lot of fun watching the NY Stakes festival at Belmont saturday, hit 4 straight p3s, and saw some fine races. Galloping Grocer was really something though. The jock never moved on him as he pulled away to a commanding lead, except to look back. Then as he hit the line, he gave the horse a couple quick brushes with the whip and the horse finally looked like he was actually running for the first time that afternoon as he breezed him out for another 1/8th. Love to see him head to head with Servis' Rockport Harbor maybe in the Remsen.
OTM Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-24-2004, 02:03 PM   #2
the little guy

Galloping Grocer's time was pretty good on yesterday's track and it will be interesting to see how he does in a competitive spot, which hopefully a race like the Remsen will be. I also like that he's a real NYB, in the sense that his dam and sire are NYB horses, unlike pseudo NYBs like Funny Cide and Read the Footnotes.

Unfortunately yesterday's races, save the classic, were pretty much a chalkfest, so there weren't a lot of betting opportunities. At least for me.
the little guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-25-2004, 04:43 AM   #3
KirisClown

The field he ran against on saturday was just horrible. I'll wait until he beats a half way decent field, in open company, before I got too excited.

Last edited by KirisClown; 10-25-2004 at 04:45 AM.
KirisClown is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-25-2004, 09:15 AM   #4
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

Oh, I agree, the field wasn't that strong, but I still give him a lot of credit for the way he ran the race. Completely under control, almost just galloping all the way around indicating a lot under the hood and a horse that will take instruction from the jock. Compare the way he ran this race to the way Roman Ruler ran the Norfolk. Again a crappy field, but there the horse was completely out of control and didn't make it look easy at all. I'm not saying GG would beat RR right now, though it could be close, but I am saying this horse is showing a heck of a lot more in the upside department right now than the majority of 2yos I've seen. That is what I liked so much in what I saw
Old 10-25-2004, 09:30 AM   #5
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

I had read a Dave Litfin article that said he had been working out faster than any of the other horses in the field had ever run in an actual race.

I've never really followed this angle much in t-breds, but when I used to play harness races, it was like money in the bank to back horses with faster times from Q races than the entrants ran in real races.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-25-2004, 01:04 PM   #6
the little guy

It will be interesting to see if Dominick Schettino can hold onto this horse. Dom is a decent trainer, but I can't recall him having any stakes horses in the past. I realize this owner has had horses with him for a while, but if Galloping Grocer turns out to be a factor n the 3YO division, which is a huge if, will he sell part and end up with a higher profile trainer as part of the deal? Or, what if he wins the Remsen and then disappoints early next year, will the switch be made then.
the little guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-25-2004, 05:51 PM   #7
KirisClown

Quote:
Originally posted by the little guy
It will be interesting to see if Dominick Schettino can hold onto this horse. Dom is a decent trainer, but I can't recall him having any stakes horses in the past. I realize this owner has had horses with him for a while, but if Galloping Grocer turns out to be a factor n the 3YO division, which is a huge if, will he sell part and end up with a higher profile trainer as part of the deal? Or, what if he wins the Remsen and then disappoints early next year, will the switch be made then.
The only stk horse I can remember Schettino having was Serious Spender... I think he nosed out Unaccounted For in the 94 Discovery Hcp.

Hopefully a half way decent field shows up for the Remsen, we can see what this horse is really made of.
KirisClown is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-26-2004, 12:03 PM   #8
Suff
Beat up 💪

Quote:
Originally posted by cj
I had read a Dave Litfin article that said he had been working out faster than any of the other horses in the field had ever run in an actual race.

I've never really followed this angle much in t-breds, but when I used to play harness races, it was like money in the bank to back horses with faster times from Q races than the entrants ran in real races.
I think it was August 1973. Secratariat Broke the Track record at Belmont Park, While working out!!!!

True story. I foget the distance and if it still holds. But he did own the Track record off a work out. Amazing.

I adore GG and am salivating to see him in with Open Company.

I believe he is on the same "race Path" as Funnycide went Last year enroute to the DERBY. I Heard Angel Coderro sniffed this colt out for Johnny V and got him the mount in his MDSPWT win. Even though Pletcher had an entry in the same race. Anothe Firster. That might turn out to be the cagiest spin that Johnny V will ever pull

Last edited by Suff; 10-26-2004 at 12:06 PM.
Suff is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-26-2004, 12:33 PM   #9
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

A little breeding comparison between Galloping Grocer and five of the BC runners with Dosage Index

Roman Ruler: 4.45
Sun King: 3.00
Afleet Alex: 2.11
Proud Accolade: 4.33
Consolidator: 3.57
Galloping Grocer: 4.00

Was going to include Scandanavia too, but he isn't in the DB. This actually surprised me quite a bit. Roman Ruler is has a KY Derby winner for a sire, yet is over the 4.00 threshold. Afleet Alex has the best DI for a stretch out and GG is right there at the threshold. All these guys hold up for next year, I think it will be a lot of fun. Nod to Afleet Alex in about 6 mths out of this group if he holds up well. As for the BC though, if they are saying that Lone Star runs like the California tracks, that may still benefit Roman Ruler.

Then again, Smarty Jones hadn't run yet by this point in the year....
Old 10-26-2004, 03:55 PM   #10
azibuck

It's Scandinavia, not Scandanavia

DI = 3.24
azibuck is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-26-2004, 04:00 PM   #11
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

That would do it
Old 10-26-2004, 06:17 PM   #12
Observer
Support Res-Q Foundations

Quote:
Originally posted by OTM Al
... Roman Ruler is has a KY Derby winner for a sire, yet is over the 4.00 threshold. ...
Roman Ruler is from the first crop by Fusaichi Pegasus .. we've seen in the past, sometimes it takes a LONG time before there is a change in a sire's classification .. Strike the Gold actually had a DI above 4.00 .. it was 9.00!! when he won the Kentucky Derby in 1991 .. until the number was adjusted later to 2.6 when Alydar was switched to the Classic chef-de-race list.
Observer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-27-2004, 09:27 AM   #13
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

I guess what I hadn't realized was that despite his amazing breeding -- just have a look at it as there is an alphabet soup of dosage letters including sire, both "grand" sires and all 4 "great grand' sires -- his DI was actually a bit on the high side at 3.67. I guess I just figured he would be high1/low 2 and that is why RR's 4+ surprised me.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:03 PM   #14
FantasticDan
gelding

For some reason I thought about GG today, and wondered "whatever happened to..". So I googled, and as crazy coincidence would have it, this story which was just published this morning came up..

GG retirement

FantasticDan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-01-2011, 05:17 PM   #15
keithw84

When I think of Galloping Grocer it is usually just as a footnote since he ran in one of my favorite races to watch - Afleet Alex's Preakness.

Glad to hear he has a home, and good job on pulling up an old thread. Kind of fun to see what people had to say about this guy almost 7 years ago!
keithw84 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply