Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 05-08-2016, 03:19 PM   #1
Hajck Hillstrom
Deftly Rated

COMPLETED: fe1b4-a1503 CD #7

$2 Pick-6 1,9, WT, 8, WT, 9, WT, 6, WT, 9, WT, 9, 14, 16

none $12.00 $0.00 - $12.00

Maybe some of the finest (and worst) handicapping I've ever put together on a Pik6 ticket ... 1st leg: #9 paid $30.20 2nd leg: #8 paid $8.40 3rd leg: #9 paid $39.40 4th leg: #6 paid $28.20 5th leg #9 clipped heels on the turn and went down & in the Derby I leave the favorite off my ticket. Had I thrown him on at a cost of $4 more, the consolation would have returned more than $9,000 .... There is a very good chance that after 4 legs mine was the only ticket alive. No one hit the Pik6 on Derby day, and after 4 races I had 4 winners with 5 selections. I can hear the racing gods saying "Let's tease Hajck today in the worst way possible."

Insult on injury ... I didn't play any Pik3's & my Pik4 had 3 out of 4 winners.

1 winning Pik6 ticket would have paid $689,000 and change.

Carry on, carry on,

Hajck
Hajck Hillstrom is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-08-2016, 11:48 PM   #2
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Pretty sick. Although leaving off the favorite in the Derby in such a cheap ticket is understandable and not all that sick, in my opinion.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-08-2016, 11:55 PM   #3
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
Pretty sick. Although leaving off the favorite in the Derby in such a cheap ticket is understandable and not all that sick, in my opinion.
I think it is best not to approach a P-6 bet as a value bet. A horse going off at 2-1 on the tote that you have at 4-1 for fair value still would have a 20% chance of winning. It would be completely wrong to bet such a horse in the win pool and just as wrong to ignore him in a P-6.
AndyC is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-09-2016, 12:37 PM   #4
Steve 'StatMan'
Traded By Cubs

Sure hope you hit a rolling pick 3 in there.
Steve 'StatMan' is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-09-2016, 01:14 PM   #5
Fox

After the 5th leg, if you could figure out that no one was alive for 6 for 6, maybe you could have hedged some.

Sorry for the tough break. I guess after the last several years, the Derby favorite is no longer an automatic toss.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-09-2016, 01:36 PM   #6
Light
Veteran

Been there, done that and on a greater level. The consolation is to be honest with yourself. That ticket was an action ticket even though the amount was very low. If that was a serious ticket that you believed in, no doubt you would have expanded it and put the favorite in. The favorite was not your first pick, and you did not want to expand the ticket. So accept your own reasoning in the formation of that ticket and then you can move on.
Light is offline   Reply With Quote Reply