Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 10-25-2009, 01:57 AM   #16
Warren Henry
Once/Always

Or

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
OK post.
MostPost

The most important software is between your ears
Warren Henry is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-25-2009, 02:05 AM   #17
Bochall

Reilly is generally a funny guy, but I dont know what to make of his call and the 'test' comment. Reminds me of a Simpsons episode with a horse named Chock Full 'O Drugs who was running on a banned substance: Churchill Downers...funny...sorta.

Last edited by Bochall; 10-25-2009 at 02:09 AM.
Bochall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-25-2009, 02:27 AM   #18
bigmack

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer
Lame post.
Tough to decipher your take with two words.

This guy is a nobody to most folk. A celeb caller? Come on.

He was less than funny and brought nothing except for his own self import and a cloud of absurd over a contest that meant something to some/many.

Break out the party hats, fire up the blender and have a Margarita. Let him call a Dachshund race at a backyard BBQ and keep this garbage away from that booth.
bigmack is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-25-2009, 02:59 AM   #19
Imriledup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlin
Great post.
Markie Post

Imriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-25-2009, 03:17 AM   #20
juanepstein
devo-lutionizing

a kirstie alley post

Last edited by juanepstein; 10-25-2009 at 03:18 AM.
juanepstein is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-25-2009, 03:28 AM   #21
rrpic6

Quote:
Originally Posted by toetoe
He sounded like Ehrlich, the Cal Expo guy, though it's too far from Sacramento on a work day.

Whoever it was made a quite cruel comment, saying one horse was so far back, it was "like he's got Kirstie Alley on his back." Thank God she's a public figure (sorry ) --- I don't feel so bad for laughing like mad.
If making fun of overweight people is now kosher, he should of picked some jerk, not a sweet girl like Kirstie....I'm thinkin Limbaugh.

RR
rrpic6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-25-2009, 03:56 AM   #22
statepierback

Post TIME!@
statepierback is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-25-2009, 04:34 AM   #23
craigbraddick

OK, guys, I was wrong. If Vic says it was a lame post - it was a lame post. he has better judgment and more experience than I.

Please accept my apologies.

Craig.
craigbraddick is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-25-2009, 05:30 AM   #24
craigbraddick

A further thought...

I don't see "celebrities" guest calling a race when I watch racing from the UK, Australia, New Zealand or Hong Kong. I just don't see how it adds any value to their product by doing that in the USA.

Why not give a kid who wants to be a racecaller a chance to call a race if you are going to have a guest racecaller? I have invited a couple of kids who have been practicing their calls to visit and call a race at Arapahoe Park next year. I daresay they will get more out of it than a celebrity guest caller would.

Craig.
craigbraddick is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-25-2009, 06:21 AM   #25
DarnThatAlarm

I'll tell you why you don't give a kid a free pass at announcing races. This happened to a good friend of mine. Once the kid has a race or two under his belt, he runs to the next opening and offers to announce for next to nothing to satisfy his ego, thereby cheapening an announcer's worth. Then he'll run to the message boards and sing praises of himself under made up troll names. Then he'll take cheap shots at his fellow announcers. When he gets busted, he'll start slanderous lies and try to ruin the reputation of his colleagues. People know who this chap is.

Last edited by DarnThatAlarm; 10-25-2009 at 06:27 AM.
DarnThatAlarm is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-25-2009, 07:27 AM   #26
Zman179
Registered Wacko

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigbraddick
OK, guys, I was wrong. If Vic says it was a lame post - it was a lame post. he has better judgment and more experience than I.

Please accept my apologies.

Craig.
What the hell are you apologizing for?!? You're entitled to your opinion, Vic's entitled to his.
Zman179 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-25-2009, 10:14 AM   #27
jballscalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarnThatAlarm
I'll tell you why you don't give a kid a free pass at announcing races. This happened to a good friend of mine. Once the kid has a race or two under his belt, he runs to the next opening and offers to announce for next to nothing to satisfy his ego, thereby cheapening an announcer's worth. Then he'll run to the message boards and sing praises of himself under made up troll names. Then he'll take cheap shots at his fellow announcers. When he gets busted, he'll start slanderous lies and try to ruin the reputation of his colleagues. People know who this chap is.
random question Darnthatalarm. i noticed you've only posted 6 times in over a year, and 4 of the 6 posts have to do with announcers, are you actually an announcer just posting under an anonymous name? We saw this over at Trackchampion so I was just curious.

sorry about what happened to your friend, nothing worse than guys who take cheap shots at our fellow colleagues.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:27 AM   #28
BlueShoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman179
Leave the jokes to Larry Lederman, at least he does it with taste.
Actually,leave the jokes to a pro like Frank Mirahmadi,who does them tastefully without offending anyone.The last good,funny guest announcer that I can recall was Walter Matthau calling a race at Santa Anita,and that had to be at least 25 years ago,perhaps even 30.
BlueShoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-25-2009, 11:07 AM   #29
Peter Berry
Track Announcer

At least he didn't drop the F word like Vic's fill-in announcer.
Peter Berry is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-25-2009, 11:25 AM   #30
Steve 'StatMan'
Traded By Cubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigbraddick
A further thought...

I don't see "celebrities" guest calling a race when I watch racing from the UK, Australia, New Zealand or Hong Kong. I just don't see how it adds any value to their product by doing that in the USA.Craig.
I'm pretty sure the Horse Racing Industries in those lands are doing very well, while racing in the U.S. is struggling and more open to promotions with media people to get some exposure and the call of at least that race onto that medias outlets airwaves, and hopefully expose the sport to harder to reach fans. Hawthorne's 3rd race yesterday (Saturday) was guest-called by a woman from the local NBC affiliate in Chicago. I didn't have the TV on last night, so I missed if they featured her call on the late evening newscast or some other TV local interest piece. And NBC-5 Chicago got some promotion on-track from this as well. Come to think of it, they were celebrating 100 years of the Carey Family owning Hawthorne, so they probably were doing a piece on Hawthorne. Seems like good P.R. to me.

Last edited by Steve 'StatMan'; 10-25-2009 at 11:27 AM.
Steve 'StatMan' is offline   Reply With Quote Reply