Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 11-06-2010, 12:05 PM   #106
AgainstAllOdds

I'm not so sure it's wrong to say anything at the gate. Didn't Gomez walk away from a horse just a week or so ago. Ticked the trainer off, but the horse didn't run good. Gomez made the right call, and when the trainer wanted him to ride again a few days later he said NO. Valesquez should have walked away too. From the trainer, to the jock, to the vet...they are all to blame for letting that horse run, even though I hadn't bet him...felt bad for those that had.
AgainstAllOdds is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-06-2010, 12:55 PM   #107
foregoforever

More from Privman's DRF article:

Quote:
Pletcher said that Life At Ten was to have been withdrawn from Sunday’s Fasig-Tipton November Breeding Stock sale at the Newtown Paddocks.

“We’ll give it a few days to dissect it all to see whether she’s fine to put back in training if they decide to do that, or if not it’s possible she could show up at a later sale,” Pletcher said.
Absolutely right, Todd. We wouldn't to have some would-be buyers invest any of their money in the horse without knowing exactly what's going on. That would be very wrong.
foregoforever is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-06-2010, 01:40 PM   #108
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

So ESPN did inform the stewards, but they chose to do nothing.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-06-2010, 01:52 PM   #109
johnhannibalsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
So ESPN did inform the stewards, but they chose to do nothing.
Now, now, they didn't not not do nothing... they did manage to pass the buck as well...

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2010, 11:49 PM   #110
Sly7449

"well-intended" on these days"

Two recent post:

"A quick word about the BC... Form cycle is a good way to tell of the trainer's intention. As a general rule, form analysis does not work so well on racing days like BC, Ky Derby, etc. because it is safe to assume that everyone is "well-intended" on these days".

This General Rule may have been broken in this case.

Also, check out Mountanman's post

Thread 107 - 113

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/s...6&page=8&pp=15
Sly7449 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-08-2010, 11:05 AM   #111
Fingal

Quote:
Originally Posted by depalma113
We need a class action lawsuit against Churchill Downs, the track vets and Todd Pletcher.
With the man who has experience in these things-

Paging Jerry Jamgotchian, paging Jerry Jam..........
Fingal is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-08-2010, 11:24 AM   #112
cj's dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstoffclaim
I give Johnny V alot of credit, he basically pulled her up, the horse is the most important thing, he didn't look like he was laughing at all

When he was talking with TP in the center of the track after the race he most certainly was laughing.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:38 PM   #113
Hanover1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj's dad
[/b]

When he was talking with TP in the center of the track after the race he most certainly was laughing.
There was nothing to laugh about imo. Stewards should make them answer/pay for not presenting a viable product that you guys bet down to 7/2. Admitting knowledge of something amiss prior to post by both parties spells it all out.
My party watching the race understood she tied up, as she pulled up sound after the dash. It is actually a mute point and only serves to show that TP felt she was not going to break down, but needed to stay moving, as tie ups do. Regardless, everyone deserves a refund, and TP-JV deserve days for not having a viable product present itself as described.
Hanover1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-08-2010, 02:43 PM   #114
igiveupregistering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
You only knew if you were watching ESPN. Everyone else was under the assumption that one of the biggest races of the year would be honestly ridden. The fools.
The NY papers reported that "At least $2million-$3 million was bet on Life At Ten. Her bettors got zilch for their dough"

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/horse...H5rHWdpB26GAXL

The Breeders Cup is the corrupt organization here. Did not want to lose the 3 million that was pure profit for them...no scratch...no refunds.

The vets were in collusion with the BC management. The vet doesn't scratch the horse on the recommendation of the jockey and trainer because there was nothing "visibly" wrong with the horse.

The BC organization is a collection of crooks.

Last edited by igiveupregistering; 11-08-2010 at 02:46 PM.
igiveupregistering is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-08-2010, 02:50 PM   #115
DJofSD
Screw PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by igiveupregistering
The NY papers reported that "At least $2million-$3 million was bet on Life At Ten. Her bettors got zilch for their dough"

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/horse...H5rHWdpB26GAXL

The Breeders Cup is the corrupt organization here. Did not want to lose the 3 million that was pure profit for them...no scratch...no refunds.

The vets were in collusion with the BC management. The vet doesn't scratch the horse on the recommendation of the jockey and trainer because there was nothing "visibly" wrong with the horse.

The BC organization is a collection of crooks.
There's an error. The money wagered on LaT was paid out to the winning tickets after the vig for the state.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:52 PM   #116
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingal
With the man who has experience in these things-

Paging Jerry Jamgotchian, paging Jerry Jam..........

Jerry Jam might be able to win this case, especially since the rider is quoted before the race saying something is not right with the horse.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-08-2010, 03:46 PM   #117
Spiderman

I bet LAT early and was enroute home to watch race. From all my reading of incident would have to agree that she shoulda been scratched. Jockeys have dismounted and refused to ride; trainers are known to run horses who are not game for the race; vets and stewards are in collusion with management; CDI/BC management is all-caring about making profits.

Through all of the posts and one report in a newspaper, no mention has been forthcoming from the track vet. Was he under the table with Jack Daniels?

The racing media will probably not try to get to the bottom of the mess. Advertising revenues and track access may be put in jeopardy.

Coincidental to this incident, Angel Cordero, agent for the jockey in question, got his break by to riding a horse that Bob Ussery refused to ride. Horse won at Aqueduct, back in 60's. I recall that it was the 2nd race on the card.
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-08-2010, 04:08 PM   #118
WinterTriangle

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearco
there really isn't much in the way of 1-3/4 to 2m races for him to run Americain in.
I recognize the trueness of your comment, and this is of course part of the equation.

That is why I don't entirely eschew international racing. It offers me some stuff that I just can't get here.

As for the blame-game, my brother is in charge of safety and investigation of accidents for a hugely dangerous inudstry, for the entire northern hemisphere---based on all the figures, stats, as well as anecdotal stories, there usually is never *one* reason something collapses, blows up, or people get killed. There are any number of links in the chain, and every single one has to be utterly perfect, to the highest technical degree, for the whole system to work properly.

In this equation we have stewards, vet, trainer, jockey, and even the trained and un-trained eyes of spectators and handicappers watching the horse warm up and in the post parade. It took more than one of each of those categories to not man-up for this LAT thing to happen, IMHO.

Last edited by WinterTriangle; 11-08-2010 at 04:13 PM.
WinterTriangle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-08-2010, 07:31 PM   #119
mbenton

Want to make sure everyone understands that the vet does not make the scratch in this case. He/she ADVISES the stewards on if the horse should be scratched. What sense does it make for JRV to announce to ESPN that his horse isn't warming up well and not say anything to the vet? Everyone needs to take a longer look at the people who have "Protect the sports integrity" in their job titles, the Stewards. Neither JRV or TP have any say in actually scratching a horse once he is in the paddock. The state has much more to lose then anyone in this situation by a late scratch of a horse with millions on her in multiple pools.
mbenton is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-08-2010, 08:16 PM   #120
Greyfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbenton
Want to make sure everyone understands that the vet does not make the scratch in this case. He/she ADVISES the stewards on if the horse should be scratched. .
Would the stewards ever go against a vet who advised that a horse be scratched? I doubt it.
By the way, I think that this is the same vet that let Barbaro run after he crashed through the gate.
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply