Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 01-26-2024, 09:52 AM   #1
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Cody's Wish is Horse of the Year

And he won decisively I might add, which is surprising to me.

Quote:
Voting for Horse of the Year: Cody's Wish, 134; White Abarrio, 37; Idiomatic, 21; Up to the Mark, 9; Arcangelo, 6; Auguste Rodin, 6; Elite Power, 5; Practical Move, 1.
134 votes out of 219 cast.

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-rac...he-year-honors

Quote:
While championships in each division can be decided on the racetrack in head-to-head meetings, Horse of the Year is a horse of a different color.

Sometimes top contenders for the award do not face each other on the track, meaning an array of different factors are blended together so that a mixture of apples and oranges can be sorted into one standout recipient.

In 2023, all of those factors came together, highlighted by a sterling record on the racetrack and a powerful emotional bond with his namesake, to crown Godolphin's now 6-year-old homebred Cody's Wish as the Horse of the Year at the 53rd annual Eclipse Awards dinner Jan. 25 in Palm Beach, Fla.

The first runner considered a dirt miler to be voted Horse of the Year in the Eclipse era, the son of Curlin also provides the world famous Godolphin operation of Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum with its initial American Horse of the Year award.
Old 01-26-2024, 10:10 AM   #2
Bullet Plane

It was an emotional ceremony. Cody Dorman sister accepted the award, and his father gave the acceptance speech. An overwhelming favorite. Much deserved as well. I thought idiomatic had a better campaign, but it has become the standard for the filly/mare to have beaten boys.

As for white abbario, perhaps if archangelo had not scratched out of the classic.. But after the loss to Cody and a very mediocre breeders cup classic, he just didn't cut the mustard.

I'll be looking forward to white abbarios attempt at the Saudi Cup. Prince Faisal has bought an interest in.the horse. To add intrigue, Lemon Cup by lemon Drop kid, is going to the race as well. This is Japan's 2023 dirt horse of the year and he is owned by Godolphin.
Bullet Plane is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-26-2024, 11:51 AM   #3
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

The star of the evening, clearly, was Repole's speech when accepting the award for Fierceness
Good Lord Mike - dropping an F bomb while your young daughter is standing right next to you. Lovely

If Mike Iavarone's look had a sound, it would be Repole's speech
Old 01-26-2024, 12:05 PM   #4
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Cody's Wish/

Gooo call.
Racing got it right.
Old 01-26-2024, 01:52 PM   #5
dilanesp

My opinion was there was no horse of the year last year.

But having said that, this is a good result in the sense that I am very happy for that family with all they went through, and especially happy that Cody got to enjoy that horse's accomplishments in his short life.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-26-2024, 02:59 PM   #6
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

All the horses realistically in the running this year had flaws. Some years there isn't really a deserving horse, but somebody has to win.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-26-2024, 02:59 PM   #7
horsefan2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Plane View Post
It was an emotional ceremony. Cody Dorman sister accepted the award, and his father gave the acceptance speech. An overwhelming favorite. Much deserved as well. I thought idiomatic had a better campaign, but it has become the standard for the filly/mare to have beaten boys.

As for white abbario, perhaps if archangelo had not scratched out of the classic.. But after the loss to Cody and a very mediocre breeders cup classic, he just didn't cut the mustard.

I'll be looking forward to white abbarios attempt at the Saudi Cup. Prince Faisal has bought an interest in.the horse. To add intrigue, Lemon Cup by lemon Drop kid, is going to the race as well. This is Japan's 2023 dirt horse of the year and he is owned by Godolphin.

It was pretty obvious Cody's Wish won when his sister was brought up to the stage to announce the winner before the envelope was even opened.
horsefan2019 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-26-2024, 04:40 PM   #8
Bullet Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Plane View Post

I didnt catch the typo, the horses name is Lemon Pop, not Lemon Cup.
Bullet Plane is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-26-2024, 05:05 PM   #9
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
And he won decisively I might add, which is surprising to me.

134 votes out of 219 cast.
I think politics probably impacted the gap a bit. Cody's Wish was a feel good story and some voters probably didn't want to vote for a Dutrow trainer change like White Abarrio. Otherwise it might have been a tad closer.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 01-26-2024 at 05:08 PM.
classhandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-26-2024, 05:06 PM   #10
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
I think politics probably impacted the gap a bit. Cody's Wish was a feel good story and White Abarrio was a Dutrow trainer change that some voters probably didn't want to reward.
He also only won two stakes races.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-26-2024, 05:09 PM   #11
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
He also only won two stakes races.
I agree with you. There weren't any really good options.
Old 01-26-2024, 07:00 PM   #12
Frost king

Could you imagine the optics of a horse trained by a trainer coming off a 10 yr suspension winning the honours. That would have been another nail in the coffin. Whether the suspension was warranted or not.
Frost king is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-26-2024, 07:02 PM   #13
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost king View Post
Could you imagine the optics of a horse trained by a trainer coming off a 10 yr suspension winning the honours. That would have been another nail in the coffin. Whether the suspension was warranted or not.
Or it would be a great example of how second chances and forgiveness are important parts of a civil society.
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-26-2024, 07:14 PM   #14
Frost king

I would have no issue if they went with White Abarrio. It just seems, like some media people are just waiting to put another dagger into the sport.
Frost king is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-26-2024, 07:15 PM   #15
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost king View Post
I would have no issue if they went with White Abarrio. It just seems, like some media people are just waiting to put another dagger into the sport.
Who?
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply