Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 01-07-2014, 12:49 PM   #16
green80

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsmac
I believe Running Stag ran back to back days.
Checking the running lines 7 days was the closest Running Stag ever ran.
I have a gelding out of running stag I am planning to run near the end of this month.
green80 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-07-2014, 01:44 PM   #17
Overlay

Back in the 19th century (if not more recently than that), didn't some thoroughbred races consist of multiple heats run on the same day (as is done more commonly in standardbred racing)?

Last edited by Overlay; 01-07-2014 at 01:45 PM.
Overlay is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-07-2014, 01:51 PM   #18
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

A friend of mine had a horse that couldn't win at FL so he leased him out and the other guy took to the Fair Circuit in New England. We looked in the form and saw that he had won on Sunday, ran back on Wednesday, and was entered (and ran) Friday. Won at 5 furlongs, 1 mile-1/16, and placed at 6.
This was mid 70's.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:54 PM   #19
Valuist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
'

Golden Man, second track was Delaware.
That's the horse. I figured either you or Salvatore would know.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-07-2014, 04:20 PM   #20
ronsmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by green80
Checking the running lines 7 days was the closest Running Stag ever ran.
I have a gelding out of running stag I am planning to run near the end of this month.
I must have mixed him up with a different european.
ronsmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-07-2014, 04:30 PM   #21
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlay
Back in the 19th century (if not more recently than that), didn't some thoroughbred races consist of multiple heats run on the same day (as is done more commonly in standardbred racing)?
They did. There's a book called The Great Match Race that is a good read and describes how this worked. Some of these races could be up to 3 heats of 4 miles each in distance to settle the race with fairly short breaks between. Here is the Amazon link to the book

http://www.amazon.com/Great-Match-Ra...eat+match+race
OTM Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-07-2014, 04:55 PM   #22
burnsy
self medicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
A friend of mine had a horse that couldn't win at FL so he leased him out and the other guy took to the Fair Circuit in New England. We looked in the form and saw that he had won on Sunday, ran back on Wednesday, and was entered (and ran) Friday. Won at 5 furlongs, 1 mile-1/16, and placed at 6.
This was mid 70's.
My friend from Boston used to go to those. He told me about a horse trained by Carlos Figuroa, "King of the fairs". Ran a horse 7 times in a 15 day meet, won a few and hit the board every time. They made a rule after that with limits. I used to go to the Rutland fair and the Standard breds run heats....the good ones used to win twice in a day.
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-07-2014, 05:11 PM   #23
VeryOldMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
'

Golden Man, second track was Delaware.
Wow - back-to-back Grade 3 races on consecutive days in 2005. A 3rd and a 2nd.

Here's his Equibase profile - I sure hope he found a good home after being such a warrior. Ended his career in a $4,000 claiming race at Finger Lakes. Survived that race, but I admittedly cross my fingers about how it all ended:

http://www.equibase.com/profiles/Res...444&registry=T
VeryOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-08-2014, 04:49 PM   #24
turfeyejoe

Back to back stakes wins

Back in the early 1970s, I saw a horse (whose name eludes me) win a stakes at Penn National on Sunday and win another stakes on Labor Day Monday at Pocono Downs.
turfeyejoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-08-2014, 05:22 PM   #25
menifee

I have a book about the earliest days of horse racing that I read a long time ago. They used to run the same horses multiple times a day in the 1600's and 1700's in the colonies and then the earliest days of the states with breaks in between the races. I don't believe it was until the mid 1800's until that practice stopped.
menifee is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-08-2014, 07:53 PM   #26
Irish Boy
Smartass

Quote:
Originally Posted by menifee
I have a book about the earliest days of horse racing that I read a long time ago. They used to run the same horses multiple times a day in the 1600's and 1700's in the colonies and then the earliest days of the states with breaks in between the races. I don't believe it was until the mid 1800's until that practice stopped.
It continued until a little after the civil war. Lexington, for example, ran nothing but heated races in the 1850s. Britain abandoned heats much sooner, but even there the practice persisted to run-off a dead heat; Prioress won the Cezarowitch in a runoff.

Rushaway won the Illinois and Latonia Derbies on consecutive days in 1936.
Irish Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-08-2014, 09:47 PM   #27
Hambletonian

Steelwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by turfeyejoe
Back in the early 1970s, I saw a horse (whose name eludes me) win a stakes at Penn National on Sunday and win another stakes on Labor Day Monday at Pocono Downs.
You are referring to Steelwood.

One of the toughest horses, ever. had a long long run before breaking down at the Meds, definitely deserved better.

Last edited by Hambletonian; 01-08-2014 at 09:48 PM.
Hambletonian is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-08-2014, 09:52 PM   #28
Hambletonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsy
My friend from Boston used to go to those. He told me about a horse trained by Carlos Figuroa, "King of the fairs". Ran a horse 7 times in a 15 day meet, won a few and hit the board every time. They made a rule after that with limits. I used to go to the Rutland fair and the Standard breds run heats....the good ones used to win twice in a day.
Shannon's Hope won 5 races in 8 days in 1963.

Rutland was cool, get to bet on a race that you already had seen once an hour before. Instaneous feedback on your trip handicapping notes.
Hambletonian is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-11-2014, 12:35 AM   #29
nearco

This horse ran three times in three days, at three different tracks.. http://www.racingpost.com/horses/hor...abs=horse_form

A 2m5f chase, followed by a 3m3f chase and finishing with a 2m4f chase. He won the first two and finiished 5th of 17 in the last race. He raced 8.5 miles over the course of the three days.
The previous week he had run twice, three days apart. In the space of eleven days he ran 5 times.
nearco is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-11-2014, 01:02 AM   #30
sandpit

In the realm of more famous horses:

Conquistador Cielo's feat of winning the Met Mile in record time and then the Belmont six days later by 14 lengths is incomprehensible today.

Seabiscuit ran about 35 times as a 2yo, sometimes just a day or two between races. His lifetime pps are in the back of Hillebrand's book.

I believe Citation won the Derby Trial on a Tuesday before the Derby itself.

And in a bid of I wish I was redboarding, Don't Get Mad won the 2005 Derby Trial and then was 4th in the Derby...if he had won, I would have collected nearly $200K in Pk4 winnings
sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote Reply