Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2023, 04:50 PM   #316
SandyW

I just watched the 10th race today at Parx, WOW, is this girl calling the same race I'm watching, just listen to the stretch call about a horse coming up between horses trying to find a path. This must be an invisible horse.
Parx should be ashamed of themselves for this very poor quality product that they are giving the public. I don't think that this girl will ever improve, it takes a special talent to be a good announcer, either you have it or you don't and this girl will never reach a level where we can say she has it.

Last edited by SandyW; 01-11-2023 at 05:00 PM.
Old 01-11-2023, 05:44 PM   #317
SandyW

The call of the 11th race was no better, she is so confused.
I can't figure out if she is watching the same race that I'm watching.
Old 01-11-2023, 05:47 PM   #318
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyW View Post
I just watched the 10th race today at Parx, WOW, is this girl calling the same race I'm watching, just listen to the stretch call about a horse coming up between horses trying to find a path. This must be an invisible horse.
Parx should be ashamed of themselves for this very poor quality product that they are giving the public. I don't think that this girl will ever improve, it takes a special talent to be a good announcer, either you have it or you don't and this girl will never reach a level where we can say she has it.
Regardless of how she is calling the race, calling her "this girl" is ridiculously disrespectful. She's a grown woman.
Old 01-11-2023, 06:16 PM   #319
SandyW

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
Regardless of how she is calling the race, calling her "this girl" is ridiculously disrespectful. She's a grown woman.
Sorry Andy, my bad. You are right. She may be a grown woman, but we will never be able to call her a qualified announcer.
But when I speak about Andy S. I tell everybody that will listen you are listening to a great handicapper that does the work to be great.

Last edited by SandyW; 01-11-2023 at 06:26 PM.
Old 01-11-2023, 06:32 PM   #320
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyW View Post
Sorry Andy, my bad. You are right. She may be a grown woman, but we will never be able to call her a qualified announcer.
But when I speak about Andy S. I tell everybody that will listen you are listening to a great handicapper that does the work to be great.
Thanks Sandy. Appreciate both.
Old 01-11-2023, 08:24 PM   #321
$w1fT
SaratogaFan1

She still comes off as unprepared.
Old 01-11-2023, 09:13 PM   #322
MJC922

In the few races I watched over the weekend I was surprised that her voice didn't bother me. Since a good voice is a huge part of the job and she has that it's probably worth allowing her to develop some more.

It's a matter of the call keeping up with the events in the race. The call has to flow well with where your eyes land as a spectator. That's one of the big reasons Imbriale has never bothered me, his cadence is really spot on with where my eyes land. The new announcer at NYRA is good but I don't find him to be any better than Imbriale in that sense. For a minute there when I first heard him I thought they were letting Aragona call a race or two. (just kidding)

Anyway I ran way ahead of Jessica's calls several times. To be fair it's a difficult task, I don't know how much time you should give someone when fans have expectations. There are tracks that I personally tend to avoid just because of the announcer. I'm also not a huge fan of making better announcers who may have wanted the job be turned away in order to give a woman the opportunity. IMO this job isn't really the place for that.

With that said after hearing Jessica though I'm also confident there are probably some women who can bring it all to the table. No matter what happens going forward she's still blazing a good trail. Is Bobby Neuman announcing anywhere? If it doesn't work out for Jessica I'd definitely recommend Bobby.
Old 01-11-2023, 09:59 PM   #323
craigbraddick

I hope you all will enjoy listening to my protege, Dani Jackson when she sets comes over to call some races at Turf Paradise later this spring while I am on the other side of the country calling some jumpers. She did really well here last spring.
Old 01-11-2023, 10:17 PM   #324
wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC922 View Post
Is Bobby Neuman announcing anywhere?

One of my favorites. Prairie Meadows.
Old 01-12-2023, 07:11 AM   #325
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigbraddick View Post
I hope you all will enjoy listening to my protege, Dani Jackson when she sets comes over to call some races at Turf Paradise later this spring while I am on the other side of the country calling some jumpers. She did really well here last spring.

I'm rooting for Dani.

I'm certainly not in the "a female? No OMG" camp. It's a bit tougher to win curmudgeon-fans but awoman who shows talent & dedication can be beloved by horseracing fans and make the game better.
That you played some part in her journey makes it even better for myself and some of the online and PaceAdvantage family.

Rooting for Jessica P to surprise me as well.
It's rare for someone to learn from negative criticism.
Unlike horseplaying, if your connections or other characteristics land you a job, you don't need competence to swim, at least for short-term.
Those people seldom improve. Their followers tell them to ignore the haterz...
She probably can't improve without motivation and a mentor. Would be super impressive if she started to learn the craft to really understand, what models drives a good racecall, and do drills and such to develop those skills.
Maybe her team should also check out Dani Jackson and Call Craig.

Parx has plenty o problems. Unplayable for me unless i have a flawed watchlister pop up in a race w/out one of their sipupertrainers.
Old 01-12-2023, 01:11 PM   #326
wiretowire68

No disrespect because she is a woman but the bottom line regarding her ability to call races is I think as one person suggested she seems unprepared and her timing is terrible. If you listen to the best to the mediocre, identify the speed via your past performance work and your visual on silks. The first call should be methodical from 1st to last, second call you should have a clear understanding of the leaders, who is stalking and who is clearing struggling. The top of the stretch and so forth, there has to be identification on who is starting to run, who is in the lead. It is by no way an easy task, but she is far too late in her identification.
Old 01-12-2023, 05:17 PM   #327
lamboguy

Craig Braddick seems to give a real good call at Turf Paradise. the racing there is a little better than in years past as well.
Old 01-20-2023, 12:01 AM   #328
castaway01

I might regret reviving this thread, but listening to the racecalls from Tuesday, Jessica has improved quite a bit. Kudos to her for putting the work in.
Old 01-20-2023, 10:16 AM   #329
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway01 View Post
I might regret reviving this thread, but listening to the racecalls from Tuesday, Jessica has improved quite a bit. Kudos to her for putting the work in.
That's great to hear. Nobody is born to be a race caller. It's an acquired skill that most anybody can learn and do adequately.

I've helped several announcers get started. The very first thing I say is practice and repetition is the MOST important building block.

And I mean practice in 250 race blocks.

Learning on the job is a thousand times more difficult.

Mistakes will be made. However, when you're on live the world knows. YOU know they are hearing them. That's extremely hard, extremely hard to deal with.

With practice, announcers learn how to deal with rough patches.

I probably make just as many mistakes as when I first started. The difference in experience is you guys are less likely to know. I can get past them without calling attention***

When you're calling live a pregnant pause of 2 seconds "feels" like 2 minutes. If you haven't practiced dealing with it that's when trouble starts.

One of the single most important things in race calling is confidence. Knowing you can do the job and do it well. If you go into a race with many doubts because of preparation or experience or conditions or any other of about 20 things you're set up to fail.

You have to know you can do it. Tell yourself you've dealt with many things in the past and gotten through it fine.

Even with the practice it's one thing to deal with calling a race. Entirely different to be the "announcer".

Calls put through to the booth during a race.

Marketing calling as the horses are loading to tell remind you about tote bag day in two weeks.

12 first time starters, seven of which are wearing red silks.

Giveaways and winners circle presentations when the horses are parading in front of you. Once they are gone and warming up on the backside you are F'ed. Panic starts to set in because you know you're not going to know them.

Struggling begets struggling. When your confidence is shot. It's VERY hard to get back.

The only way is repetition, repetition, repetition.

One thing that is the death of new announcers is trying to do too much.

To this day I have a plaque in my booth. It reads " Just Call The Damn Race".

95% of the crap calls I've made in my life are because I tried to say too much. Nobody will EVER criticize a call for what you DIDN'T say. Identify the horses. Place them in their proper spots, don't rush, clearly and concisely report what you see. Manufacturing embellishments is a ticking time bomb. Jocks names, editorializing, trying to ring a winner too early will cause explosions.

When you get the confidence to make a stock nuts and bolts call over and over again. The bells and whistles will work their way in without you even realizing you're doing it.

There are a hundred things that can slip you up that can only be learned through experience.

One of the things I found especially difficult when I first started was calling EVERY race on a 10 race card.

When young announcers are coming up they guest announce a race here and there and don't have to think about anything but that one chance to shine.

When you become the main voice, they throw another race at you every 25 minutes. It's much tougher than you ever anticipated.

Gotta go try to get them around there at OP today.

***Here's an example of ADVANCED race calling. Remember I said more experienced announcers will know how to hide mistakes, so you don't know?

I was 20,000 into my career before I trotted out this one. Horses are running around the far turn. You get to the horse that's running in 5th and call him by the WRONG name. You know immediately you've messed it up. It wasn't BUD'S GIRL it should have been MY LADY DUSTY. Now as you're going through the field you get to the real BUD'S GIRL in 7th. You purposely get that one wrong as well. Knowing that next time through you'll switch them back and the great majority of the people will be none the wiser. That's OLD SCHOOL race calling boys and girls.

Have fun today!
Old 01-20-2023, 10:47 AM   #330
Bustin Stones

Consider how many announcers that she leapfrogged for this gig. So many working at less prestigious tracks. So many working in other areas who would be happy to transition to race calling who are better seasoned. Does this woman have some special quality that better qualifies her to have this gig? Does she have a history of learning on the job extremely fast? She must have an incredibly long leash to be calling races the way she is and surviving it.
Closed Thread