Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Contests + Other Interesting Racing Topics > Harness Racing

Old 04-22-2014, 04:14 PM   #16
RaceTrackDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrroyboy
Very good article RTD. It's obvious you know your stuff. Looking forward to reading more of your posts.
Thank you mrroyboy. I have a lifetime of experiences and many stories to tell. All I need is to read some post that will ignite the light of my memory and I will chime on in. The big money days are few but interesting. Some of my losing days have a lot in common with the old fisherman story about the one that got away. Mine was a whale of a fish.

Since I brought it up, it is a thoroughbred betting story. This night I threw away $500 with another $100 kicked in from my bookie. Back then, we had to wager on track.

This was the time when simulcasting was just in its infancy in PA. We had Philly Park in the afternoon and Penn National in the evening.

I was learning all about track bias during the Philly Park races and there was one girl that actually almost held on using the dead rail path. Her name was Olga's Fantasy. As fate would have it, she was entered at Penn National about five weeks later and was in the second part of the Twin Trifecta. There was a carryover of over 90k going into the race.

With ten horses in the second part of the Twin Tri I had to buy enough tickets so that I could play 10-1-all 10-4-all 10-all-1 and 10-all-4.

I needed 32 winning tickets to cover my bets in the second half. My keys in the first part were 8,7 and 5. Not thinking of betting them in a box, I was taking a couple $64 shots with the (# 8) on top and those two in the second spot and adding others in the third spot. Well it came in a box, 5-8-7 and I have no live tickets and not a penny in my pocket.

My buddy Randy asked me I wanted him to float me some cash for the second part of the TT. I told him I lost enough money on the day. A couple ahead of us were the Meadows syndicate or so they like to be called back then. They asked me what I liked as they had 4 live tickets going it.

I told them I love the (# 10) Olga's Fantasy over the 1 and 4. They LAUGHED AT ME. The ten is going off at 50/1!

She wired them with the (# 1) about two lengths behind with the (# 4) finishing third about a half length more back. Olga paid $110 to win, the Ex came back to pay $2,000+ and the regular trifecta paid $14k.

Here is the whale, with the 90k carryover going in, the new carry over was $180k+.

To this day I have that night in my mind ingrained to the day I die.
RaceTrackDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-22-2014, 05:57 PM   #17
mrroyboy

Very nice story. I was going to and betting Philly Park back when it was Keystone Park. Do you go back that far? Plus we had Liberty Bell harness track just like 1/2 mile away. Many double headers in those days.
mrroyboy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-22-2014, 06:47 PM   #18
RaceTrackDaddy

I heard of Keystone but never bet there. Brandywine closed prior to our simulcasting and I never went east of the Allegheny Mts until after Gallo Blue Chip's 3yr campaign, went to the Big M for Friday and Saturday of Meadowlands Pace weekend plus added a matinee card (in the rain) at Monmouth Park.

Think my first year in flats simulcasting was Black Tie Affairs three year old year...might have been 1992.

I bet flat racing at Waterford in my teens (Mountaineer Park today)...Wheeling was harness (where I cut my teeth in harness) from my youth to 1976. That year I begun my handicapping of greyhounds. All three have served well over the years. Believe or not, handicapping all these have sharpened my skills in all breeds...cross training in gamblin'..who'd a thunk it?
RaceTrackDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-22-2014, 10:05 PM   #19
Overcall

Don

What a treasure trove that site is. Living in Buffalo, I opt out for GCy, Mhk and GrR instead of BR. Great racing. Do you know of anymore of these cites like
Robert Smith's website?

Sorry for being 'off topic'
Overcall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-23-2014, 12:29 AM   #20
wilderness

Overcall,
Robert Smith's articles first appeared on the Standardbred Canada (SC) website under the theme of "Rewind".
For some reason SC and Robert parted company and Robert started his own site, however last week there was an announcement that he's returning to SC Rewind, which Robert is thrilled about because the SC generates more traffic and correspondence.

There is a Canadian-based forum that is heavily moderated and quite good. I participated there for some while, however no longer do.
HarnessDriver

I'm not aware of any other sites that are focused upon recollection and/or historical items, although there may be a few I'm not aware.

There is one called the Lost Trotting Parks of Maine that is quite good.