Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 04-20-2014, 01:22 AM   #1
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Headshot in NHL....Chitown n Blues

I don't follow hockey that close, but this has got to be one of the most brutal shots I've ever seen. Stick with the video and watch it in slow motion. I can't believe he woke up .......but he was unsteady

http://youtu.be/mSNtMDkRjBA

[YT="Head Shot to Backes"]mSNtMDkRjBA[/YT]
Old 04-20-2014, 08:34 AM   #2
elysiantraveller

Should cost him 2-3 games. Was intentionally attempting to maim Backes when he could have just dropped a hip and still laid a pretty good, and legal, wollop on him. As a Wings fan it really pains me cheering for the Blues but the absolute joy I get out of watching the Blackhawks lose, especially the way they have, easily surpasses it.
elysiantraveller is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-20-2014, 09:16 AM   #3
headhawg
crusty old guy

Well, Seabrook must have eyes on the side and back of his head. He's not even looking at Backes when he hits him so to say it's headhunting is stupid. Intentionally trying to maim? Typical Wings fan. The NHL had to move Detroit to the East so that they could (barely) make the playoffs.
headhawg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-20-2014, 10:25 AM   #4
woodtoo

Way over the top,uncalled for even in the heat of the moment.Drags the
game down to the gutter.

To say Seabrook didn't see him is bull.
woodtoo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-20-2014, 02:29 PM   #5
thaskalos

The smirk on Seabrook's face made me sick. I couldn't be happier when the Hawks lost the way they did.
Old 04-20-2014, 02:46 PM   #6
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

The guy should be suspended for a long time, playoffs and some of next season. But he won't be, because it is the NHL, and they secretly don't mind goonish play.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-20-2014, 02:59 PM   #7
Greyfox

Many arenas around North America are seriously considering a "Look Up Zone" - an orange band painted on the ice 40" wide around the entire rink. The purpose of it is to reduce injuries.

While the concept may not catch on with the pros for awhile, it will certainly reduce some of the anxieties that parents have about entering their kids in hockey.
Hopefully, some day the pros will have it too.

Read more at: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/16/sp...yers.html?_r=0

Last edited by Greyfox; 04-20-2014 at 03:01 PM.
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-20-2014, 03:11 PM   #8
Greyfox

Seabrooke received a 3 game suspension.

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-...n-david-backes
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-20-2014, 03:26 PM   #9
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhawg
Well, Seabrook must have eyes on the side and back of his head. He's not even looking at Backes when he hits him so to say it's headhunting is stupid. Intentionally trying to maim? Typical Wings fan. The NHL had to move Detroit to the East so that they could (barely) make the playoffs.

At least we know games are "typically" 60 minutes long... not 59:45

Last edited by elysiantraveller; 04-20-2014 at 03:27 PM. Reason: 4
elysiantraveller is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-20-2014, 04:45 PM   #10
headhawg
crusty old guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysiantraveller
At least we know games are "typically" 60 minutes long... not 59:45
Go Bruins.
Old 04-20-2014, 04:59 PM   #11
MutuelClerk

He left his feet and hit him at the same time. Dirty hit. Not a dirty player. Shouldn't matter. I would have given him the rest of the series off. Three games is a decent suspension.
MutuelClerk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-20-2014, 05:03 PM   #12
headhawg
crusty old guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
The guy should be suspended for a long time, playoffs and some of next season. But he won't be, because it is the NHL, and they secretly don't mind goonish play.
Seabrook is far from a goon. Watch the video. Backes isn't even ruled out for Game 3. But I guess it's ok for the Blues players to double-team Toews in Game 1's 2nd OT, one with a cross-check (Polak) and then a targeted hit to the head by Reaves. Toews face was bloodied but I guess that's ok because he didn't get a concussion. Video
Old 04-20-2014, 05:05 PM   #13
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhawg
Seabrook is far from a goon. Watch the video -- he didn't even leave his feet. Backes isn't even ruled out for Game 3. But I guess it's ok for the Blues players to double-team Toews in Game 1's 2nd OT, one with a cross-check (Polak) and then a targeted hit to the head by Reaves. Toews face was bloodied but I guess that's ok because he didn't get a concussion. Video
I watched the play. I don't follow hockey enough to know his history, but that play was goonish. That was all I said about it. The NHL allows too much of this crap to go on and has for a long time. I can only surmise it is secretly condoned. I guess things are getting better, because it wasn't that long ago it wouldn't have even been a suspension for one game.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-20-2014, 07:19 PM   #14
newtothegame

He (Seabrooke) Braced for the hit (so you cant say he didn't see it), he left his feet (and didn't try to avoid it). He targeted the head area......Blatantly!
If this was center ice or away from the boards it may only taken the StL player off of his feet. This close to the boards, there has to be limits!
This could of actually been worse for the STL player.....IMHO 3 games isn't enough!
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men,deriving their just powers from the consent of the
governed.
newtothegame is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-20-2014, 08:00 PM   #15
johnhannibalsmith

I thought 3 games was kind of a lot, yet predictable, but then again, I'm usually in the minority these days on some of these hits.

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply