Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Selections

Old 08-14-2017, 11:49 AM   #1
Teach

Saratoga: Monday, August 14, 2017

Race One:
“Do You Believe In Magic?” (The Lovin’ Spoonful). Well, I believe that the , EVERYTHING MAGIC, can take the Spa opener in this 6-panels claiming sprint. This Street Sense-bred 4 year-old filly is most capable of getting her picture taken. The Baltimoreon, Mike Trombetta, is a solid conditioner. Yes, this More Than Magic-bred has been on the shelf for a couple months, but her recent morning work-tab has been both consistent and good. She has certainly faced better over her racing career. In fact, at one time, this filly reeled off three straight wins. Although you can say about this filly: “What have you done for me, lately?”? In this field, at this level of competition, she looks like she can be the one to come under the wire, first. Finally, the rider-switch to Manny Franco is significant. Franco is one of the best reinsman in the NYRA jockey colony. If you’re looking elsewhere: , ,

Race Two:
VIGOR is my choice in this MSW 5 and ½ panels turf-sprint. This War Front-bred bay filly draws the rail. She has the kind of early speed to draw away inside (an alert start would be all that appears necessary). In addition, the half-panel cutback should work to her benefit. One of the best in the country, Jose Ortiz, is in the irons for the Hall of Fame trainer, Bill Mott. Yes, this Danzig-bred hasn’t raced in over two months, yet her morning work-tab has been good. Others: , , .

Race Three:
In this 6-panels allowance, my selection is the ML medium-longshot, JUNKET. I must profess that I like horses that are going turf-to-dirt (those turf races can toughen them up for their main-track tries). This 3 year-old bay gelding’s trainer is Ron Moquett. Moquett, a Fort Smith, Arkansas native, is a solid conditioner who’s been a fixture at Oaklawn Park (he trained one of the top sprinters, Whitmore). Irad Ortiz, Jr. reprises the ride. Others: , ,

Race Four:
In this 5 and ½ panels turf MSW sprint, my pick is GIDU. This 2 year-old grey colt has regal turf bloodlines. This Irish-bred is most capable of winning at first asking (caveat: obviously there is always the risk that a first-timer will race “greenly”). The colt’s conditioner is one of the country’s best, Todd Pletcher (he’s vying, head-to-head, with Chad Brown for Spa-trainer bragging rights). A sharp recent morning-work bolsters confidence. Jose Ortiz (he, his brother Irad, and Johnny V. are part of the “Big Three” in the Saratoga jockey colony). If you’re looking elsewhere: , , .

Race Five:
In this 7-furlongs claimer, n3L, my choice is NOVIQUE. This 5 year-old Bellamy Road-bred mare finished 2nd about a month ago in a similar race as the 7-to-5 favorite. In today’s race, the jockey switch to the very capable chauffeur, Ricardo Santana, Jr., is significant. This mare’s trainer, Michelle Nevin, is picking up the pace; she saddled a winner, yesterday. Nevin does particularly well with horses that were beaten favorites and also those entered in claiming races. Finally, this mare is eligible to improve as it is her second start off a layoff. Others: , , .

Race Six:
In this claiming turf route at one mile, I’m going with: KEEPINGITQUIET. This Medaglia d’Oro-bred 3 year-old colt faded in his last, an 11-panels turf route at Belmont in early June. There is a solid chance of making amends. The three-furlongs cut-back off his last race should enhance his chances of gracing the winner’s circle. Yes, this colt has been on the shelf; yet, trainer Gary Gullo does reasonably well in that category. Irad Ortiz, Jr. is in the irons. Others: , , ..

Race Seven:
In this allowance turf sprint, n1x, I’m picking: BATTLEMENT. This GB-bred 4 year-old grey filly has a solid turf pedigree (although she’s experienced success on the main, as well). Yes, she hasn’t raced in nearly two months; yet, she has the services of an excellent trainer, Bill Mott. This filly just missed in her last against similar company; the half-panel cut-back this race affords should work in her favor. Irad Ortiz, Jr. is in the irons. Others: , , .

Race Eight:
In this the non-graded state-bred Saratoga Dew to be contested over the distance of one mile and 1/8th for a purse of 100k, my pick is JCS AMERICAN DREAM. This 6 year-old chestnut mare has been a consistent board-hitter. Yet I should mention that she failed as the favorite in her last race against weaker company. The mare’s trainer, Michelle Nevin, is a solid conditioner who does very well with horses who were beaten favorites. Nevin also does well with horses that are making dirt starts. Look for this Catienus-bred to be coming from off the pace. “Jersey Joe” Bravo is in the irons. Others: , , .

Race Nine:
In the finale, a claiming turf route, n2L, my pick is a longshot, EUCALYPTUS. Yes, this lightly-raced Arch-bred gelding has been away from the races for over one year (it gives pause for thought). Yet, on the plus side, this gelding has faced much better in his brief racing career. On class alone – if he’s reasonably ready – he can prevail. This gelding’s trainer is Lacey Gaudet, the daughter of the renowned Mid-Atlantic trainer, Ed Gaudet. Her mother is also an accomplished trainer, Linda Gaudet. Well, this Holy Bull-bred might just surprise – at a price! One of the best turf jocks to campaign at “The Spa,” Florent Geroux, is in the irons. Others: , , .

"Walt, make a 'mental bet' and lose your mind." R.N.S.

"The important thing is what I think of myself."
"David and Lisa" (1962)

Teach is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-14-2017, 02:01 PM   #2
Teach

Race Three: As cited in my picks - based on their appearance on the track - I like the "outside" horses.

"Walt, make a 'mental bet' and lose your mind." R.N.S.

"The important thing is what I think of myself."
"David and Lisa" (1962)

Teach is offline   Reply With Quote Reply