Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 05-08-2007, 11:32 AM   #76
Cratos

Street Sense v. Curlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtTrack
Should have been fine but thanks to a bad gate break and poor ride in middle of track behind a wall it was not.
May have had a chance if stayed on the rail but SS and HS did romp the field

@ least I used Curlin in bottom of tri (boxed) and getting 3rd in KD is never a bad thing.

Preakness should be interesting...
Before the Derby I was a big Curlin fan(and I still am), but not by much over Street Sense and I said so in another thread on this Forum

However on Saturday Street Sense was the better horse and there is no denying that unless there is some information that can refute that assertion.

At the half in the Derby, Curlin was there in 47.96 while Street Sense lagged behind in a pedestrian time of 49.17. But from the half to the 1 mile marker, Borel got Street Sense to kick it in gear with a 48.45 for the next ˝-mile while Curlin literally stopped in a paltry 50.54. Whether Albarado, his jockey got him in a bad position or something else happened, Curlin wasn’t running much from the ˝-mile to the 1 mile marker and Street Sense was.

During the last quarter mile both horses was moving at a good clip with Street Sense running the last quarter in 24.55 and Curlin in 23.67.

On Saturday May 5 at Churchill Downs in the 10th race and much to my dismay (I wagered all of my wooden nickels on Curlin) Street Sense was much the best, but the Preakness might be different if the two run against each other.

"Science is correct; even if you don't believe it" - Neil deGrasse Tyson
Cratos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-08-2007, 01:48 PM   #77
JPinMaryland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cratos

During the last quarter mile both horses was moving at a good clip with Street Sense running the last quarter in 24.55 and Curlin in 23.67...
Good Lord! If Curlin ran that fast he's one of the greatest closers in history!

I dont know where you are getting this number. Here is what I get: 25.6 for the final quarter. Rough calculation from the EB chart.

SOme other final quarters by rough calc.:
HS: 25.4;
CQ: 25.4;
Tiago 25.2;
Sedge 26.1.

No real suprises, other than than those front runners that finished posed good times and the closers (other than SS) did not get much out of the trip and/or the surface and/or traffic.
JPinMaryland is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-08-2007, 02:58 PM   #78
Cratos

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPinMaryland
Good Lord! If Curlin ran that fast he's one of the greatest closers in history!

I dont know where you are getting this number. Here is what I get: 25.6 for the final quarter. Rough calculation from the EB chart.

SOme other final quarters by rough calc.:
HS: 25.4;
CQ: 25.4;
Tiago 25.2;
Sedge 26.1.

No real suprises, other than than those front runners that finished posed good times and the closers (other than SS) did not get much out of the trip and/or the surface and/or traffic.
My apologies to you, I mistakenly took Street Sense’s final time (2:02.17) as Curlin's final time. Curlin’s final time by my calculation was 2:03.50 and his final quarter was 25 seconds flat.

"Science is correct; even if you don't believe it" - Neil deGrasse Tyson
Cratos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-08-2007, 09:40 PM   #79
JPinMaryland

Curlin is about 1.5 lengths back of SS at the mile mark (according to the chart) he lost to him by 8 lengths. Thus, he lost about 6.5 lenghts to him last quarter, that is roughly 1.09 sec assuming they are moving 25 sec quarter.

So he lost like 1.1. seconds, so he ran about 25.6. What am I missing? Im using the Equibase chart.

Here's one I didnt figure on; WIld/Crazy Guy finished in 24.85! Woo hoo! Major betback??

Last edited by JPinMaryland; 05-08-2007 at 09:41 PM.
JPinMaryland is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: