Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 08-21-2019, 02:22 AM   #1
jay68802

Weighted Average

Do you use this for handicapping? Is there any rules you follow to come up with the different weights? I have been messing around with it for years, but never really used a weighted average in any form. Just curious.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-21-2019, 05:34 AM   #2
FakeNameChanged

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay68802 View Post
Do you use this for handicapping? Is there any rules you follow to come up with the different weights? I have been messing around with it for years, but never really used a weighted average in any form. Just curious.
On a homegrown program, let's say you have 10 factors contributing to an overall number in a route. I may weight speed rating at .20 of total, class at .25, recent form at .20, weight change(or total) at .10, etc. So looking at the first three mentioned, they might make up .65 of the total ratings. And within speed ,form or class, I have different weights for last race vs. prev. races. Inside the class rating, I may have 3 different factors contributing to that number and they have different weights. Also in speed, weighting for last race may make up .20 of the total, average of 3 good races at .50, speed improvement at .20, etc. Of course this is all done in Excel.

Like the recent thread on Bris power numbers, sometimes the weightings look wrong. For example, sometimes the last race numbers seem to dominate after looking at the winner, and other times, it's average of last three or last three good races. Or recent form or class is dominating, so it's an exercise in tweaking. Or maybe I didn't understand your question, lol.
Old 08-23-2019, 01:35 PM   #3
jay68802

"so it's an exercise in tweaking. Or maybe I didn't understand your question, lol."

You understood the question, so I started tweaking some numbers. As a test I did 9 races, all on turf, for Saturday. Not really interested in how the top picks are going to do in these races. ( I am but that is not where the weighted averages were used). Am really interested in how the tosses perform, or hopefully, do not perform. The races are listed as Picks / Contenders / Tosses.
The picks and contenders are listed in order, as you read them. Will adjust for Scratches in the AM.

Saratoga

Race #1: / /

Race #8: / /

Race #10: / /

Ellis Park

Race #4: / /

Monmouth

Race #9: / /

Arlington

Race #7: / /

Indiana

Race 3: / /

Woodbine

Total runners 75 / Total tosses 38 or 51% of the runners.

Last edited by jay68802; 08-23-2019 at 01:39 PM.
Old 08-23-2019, 07:58 PM   #4
jay68802

Correction for Ellis Race #4:
Picks / Contenders / Tosses
/ /
Old 08-25-2019, 08:10 PM   #5
FakeNameChanged

Jay, How did your tosses' tweaking work? All turf races, you're a glutton for punishment.
Old 08-25-2019, 09:26 PM   #6
GMB@BP

Quote:
I do think there is some merits to this style of handicapping. I know Stats Race Lens allows you to adjust factors but it feels somewhat limited. I wanted to play around with it a bit more but it always felt like no matter what I tweaked the program would still end up with the same selections as the default.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-25-2019, 09:56 PM   #7
jay68802

Picks / Contenders / Tosses

2 / 2 / 5

Two of the tosses that won were Chad Brown runners.

Sitting here tonight looking at what I did and where it went wrong. Used some real basic weights in the areas I did (6,5,4,3,2,1) as a start. Tweaking time. As for only doing turf routes. I looked at my records and turf routes are a weak area. With the increase in turf races I felt that needed to improve.
Old 08-26-2019, 09:54 AM   #8
classhandicapper

Quote:
I played around with using weighted averages with speed figures, but I stopped after it showed less promise than I was hoping. A weighted average will probably be able to outperform some simple rules like last race, best of last 2, most recent relevant race etc... but long term I think a subjective analysis of the's horse's races, development, and trips will do better than any formula.
Old 08-26-2019, 10:59 PM   #9
Aerocraft67
Enthusiast

Isn't this doing manually what a regression would do for you? Not that there's anything wrong with that. In know your question wasn't about formal quantitative modeling. But why not just start with the morning line or some off-the-shelf power rankings? Will manually choosing weights really produce anything novel that a more individual qualitative assessment of the race wouldn't?

Maybe focusing on tosses yields more productive results. Or just use a simple set of weights as a first cut to sort things out.

Thing is, a big dimension of the game is to find the non-obvious, which models would seem to steer you away from. I guess you could build models and weights for specific anomalies. But that's more like filtering for angles, and also not really the thrust of your question.

I struggle with seeking the non-obvious without ignoring the obvious, and re-doing work that's already done aptly for me. Applying manual weights to factors seems to violate the latter problem, unless it's a simple screen. But even then, I worry about tossing the truly clever picks.

I know I'm not breaking any new ground here. Just thinking about my own game in the context of your question.

Put another way, I guess I'm just pointing to this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
...a subjective analysis of the's horse's races, development, and trips will do better than any formula.
Aerocraft67 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-30-2019, 01:21 PM   #10
coachv30

The other element here would be assigning the weights to each of your categories / factors. Would they change based on distance, surface, race conditions, etc...?

If you assign a high weight to late speed, is it constant across the board or more for turf routes...etc.
Old 08-30-2019, 01:41 PM   #11
jay68802

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachv30 View Post
The other element here would be assigning the weights to each of your categories / factors. Would they change based on distance, surface, race conditions, etc...?

If you assign a high weight to late speed, is it constant across the board or more for turf routes...etc.
The programs I use are 4 different spreadsheets, they all use the same factors. It was easier just to copy the original, instead of starting from scratch. One is for Dirt Sprints, one is for Turf Sprints, one for Dirt Routes, and one for Turf routes. In your example of using late pace or speed, I found from my first try that using a factor that you use to pick contenders, should not be used for picking tosses. I think the reason is probably simple, horses that you are looking for are improving and in those areas (LP) you need to be looking for that improvement and not a reason to toss a horse. As for different weights for different types of races, I do not know yet. Only have been looking at Turf routes but it will be interesting to see the differences. Doing the opening card at Kentucky Downs right now, will post the Picks / Contenders / Tosses when I am done.
Old 08-31-2019, 12:19 AM   #12
jay68802

A few for Kentucky Downs.

Same as last time Picks / Contenders / Tosses

Race #5: / /

Race #10: / / The rest of them.

Time to have fun with the Ugly Bartender.
Old 08-31-2019, 12:59 PM   #13
jay68802

Quote:
A few for Kentucky Downs.

Same as last time Picks / Contenders / Tosses

Race #5: / /

Race #10: / / The rest of them.

Time to have fun with the Ugly Bartender.
Updated for scratches.
Old 08-31-2019, 01:13 PM   #14
coachv30

Quote:
Updated for scratches.
I put together a weighted spreadsheet and did KD Race 1..

2,3,10 / 4,6,9,11 / 1,7,8,12,13

Same format- Picks / Contenders/ Scratches
Old 08-31-2019, 01:20 PM   #15
coachv30

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachv30 View Post
I put together a weighted spreadsheet and did KD Race 1..

2,3,10 / 4,6,9,11 / 1,7,8,12,13

Same format- Picks / Contenders/ Scratches