Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-25-2019, 05:17 PM   #136
toddbowker
Todd Bowker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46zilzal View Post
The rules of racing are pretty clear: the finishing order will be substantiated by photo, UNLESS that is not available and then it is up to the stewards to call the official order of finish.

ALWAYS has been like that even before there were good cameras.
You mean the placing judges, not the stewards. In all the jurisdictions I ever worked, the Placing Judges were the final determiners of the order of finish, and in most cases the Stewards wouldn't even offer an opinion if you asked.

Although I never worked in New York, the rules there are the same (4023.8/4023.9).
toddbowker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-25-2019, 05:22 PM   #137
Shandaken
Apprentice

One bad photo in like 90 years, and some people (dilanesp) are up in arms.

One person here (Tom) put down Saratoga for one mistaken disqualification many years ago. Such pettiness.

Let it go already.

Last edited by Shandaken; 08-25-2019 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Grammar
Shandaken is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-25-2019, 05:25 PM   #138
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shandaken View Post
One bad photo in like 90 years, and everybody is up in arms.

Some people here (Tom) put down Saratoga for one mistaken disqualification many years ago. Such pettiness. Let it go already.
Inexcusable.
Period.

And why re-assign the stooge of a steward to another track - why not fire him?

And you have seen ALL the other photos?

Tell the judge I drove by by 1,000 liquor stores and only robbed one - let it go, man!

Last edited by Tom; 08-25-2019 at 05:27 PM.
Tom is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-25-2019, 07:13 PM   #139
46zilzal
velocitician

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddbowker View Post
You mean the placing judges, not the stewards. In all the jurisdictions I ever worked, the Placing Judges were the final determiners of the order of finish, and in most cases the Stewards wouldn't even offer an opinion if you asked.

Although I never worked in New York, the rules there are the same (4023.8/4023.9).
they were synonymous in all the places I worked the photo finish camera
Old 08-25-2019, 10:25 PM   #140
46zilzal
velocitician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Inexcusable.
Period.

And why re-assign the stooge of a steward to another track - why not fire him?
Given the situation (DARK across the track with no lights) I think you should cut the responsible parties a bit of slack.

Each Fall Woodbine puts on a series of grade one international grass races that regularly attracts many a good turfer as an alternative to the Breeder's Cup turf races. They usually run right around the first week in October when the days are getting shorter rapidly, and I used to HOPE that there was enough ambient light so that we would not be embarrassed internationally by not being able to show an underexposed photo as they would card these big races later in the card. About 2 to 3 years back, I was JUST ABLE to get a photo for one of these earlier contests and my light meter was telling me that without lights I would NOT be able to take the shot of the BIG international coming up should we need a shot to differentiate the placings. I even went downstairs to inform them of the same as I had in the past when that situation was a possibility.

As the field came into the long stretch there, and I swear this happened, what cloud cover there was all of a sudden opened up, the meter went into normal exposure range, and I got the shot.....There was no need to show a photo as all the placings were obvious, but WE WERE LUCKY that day.

I repeatedly told the stewards of this problem and they knew of one example (much like the photo posted about this race at Saratoga) that we had to post that was of a horrible grainy quality...Luckily I did not have to embarrass the racing organization that day, but sweated about it nonetheless.
Old 08-25-2019, 11:32 PM   #141
davew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shandaken View Post
One bad photo in like 90 years, and some people (dilanesp) are up in arms.

One person here (Tom) put down Saratoga for one mistaken disqualification many years ago. Such pettiness.

Let it go already.
come on, Allumuese wasn't even close to causing the problem
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-25-2019, 11:46 PM   #142
Shandaken
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post
come on, Allumuese wasn't even close to causing the problem
It happened ages ago.
You going to hold it against them forever?

Move on.
Shandaken is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-26-2019, 09:53 AM   #143
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

9 posts so far and 2 of them are about this?

Move on.