Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Contests + Other Interesting Racing Topics > 2014 PaceAdvantage Challenge Series, sponsored by RDSS > Brisnet.com PaceAdvantage Inter-Board Handicapping League (P.A.I.H.L.)

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:26 AM   #16
Track Collector
Grinding at a Poker Table

Quote:
Originally Posted by ten2oneormore
I am fine with whatever rules you guys decide to change but think it's kind of hasty with less than a month.Especially if the intention is to get input from most of the players pool.
Future contests in the 2014 Series will have much more advance notice.

Unknown to most, but as recently as 10 days ago there were still some serious doubts about whether or not the contest series started in 2012 would continue in 2014. There were a number of issues and concerns that had to addressed and worked out in detail to get us to where we are today.
Track Collector is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-11-2013, 02:07 PM   #17
ndsc32

I like BYES, think they are an important part that a team shoots for. It's a long contest and with no byes why worry about winning? It's an incentive that is important in a contest of this type. ( Just my 2 cents worth.)
ndsc32 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-12-2013, 11:56 AM   #18
mrhorseplayer

Have more turf races, sprints and routes
mrhorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-12-2013, 12:11 PM   #19
Ted Craven

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndsc32
I like BYES, think they are an important part that a team shoots for. It's a long contest and with no byes why worry about winning? It's an incentive that is important in a contest of this type. ( Just my 2 cents worth.)
Let's think about what a BYE does - a) it provides a deferral of elimination for the Team (Top 6 Regular Season, last year) and b) a breather to recoup. So this is a valuable reward for superior performance, Regular Season.

This year, there are no eliminations in the Finals - an even stronger test for the ultimate Winner, so in this format a BYE does not serve any more to defer elimination. Instead, to maintain the reward for top Regular Season play, the Top 8 teams receive bonus points - putting them again at an advantage in the Final rounds compared to the rest of the teams with no bonus, or smaller bonuses.

And this year, everyone gets a 1 week break following the Regular Season so I admit that the 'break' aspect of the value of a BYE is not enjoyed exclusively by the Top Teams.

So - instead of BYEs as a reward for Regular Season excellence, you get something hopefully just as good (Finals bonus points). Plus the overall benefits to all players (and the Sponsor) of having FULL contest participation through the end and on the big Kentucky Derby weekend. Seems like a good trade-off for replacing the BYE concept.

cheers,

Ted

Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-12-2013, 12:17 PM   #20
Ted Craven

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhorseplayer
Have more turf races, sprints and routes
I agree! Where the Schedule would otherwise permit several races with fuller fields, horses with racing histories, races paced close enough together, with PPs available from the WhoBet site - prefer Turf races to the extent that they are represented fairly among the 8 races that day, say ~ 1/3 of them? (or cumulatively over several weeks).

I'm sure it's not always easy to get the race mix right, given the combination of preferences.

Ted

Old 12-13-2013, 01:51 AM   #21
Track Collector

Please Note

A number of players have acknowledged the rules (by voting "yes), but have not advised us of their playing status.

Please post under subject thread to let us know if you plan to bring in your own team, are already on an existing team, or are a free agent, in which case you want others to contact you about joining their team.

As a helpful resource, posting#2 under the Sign-In and Rules Acknowledgement thread will show you a current summary of teams and free agents. (This summary is updated several times daily.).

Thanks!

Chris
Old 12-28-2013, 11:24 PM   #22
Track Collector

Opening Week is Fast Approaching!

It looks like we currently have 32 full and/or partial teams so far. Opening day is this coming Saturday. See posting #2 in the Rules Acknowledgement thread for the most current info.

Some observations:
--- Some team members have not acknowledged the rules by voting "yes" in the poll at the top of the Rules Acknowledgement thread. If your name (in posting #2) is blue, you are ok, otherwise, we are still waiting for you to vote.
--- Some folks have voted yes in the Rules Acknowledgement thread, but their name does not appear either on a team or the free agent list. If you want to play, you need to let us know ASAP!
--- Free agents who have not been contacted and still want to play should start contacting other free agents immediately to form a team.

Old 12-29-2013, 10:34 AM   #23
Ted Craven

WELCOME TO THE 2014 P.A.I.H.L. SEASON

January 4 through May 3, 2014

www.SartinMethodology.com

2014 P.A.I.H.L.
Title Sponsor & Prizes

**** To Be Announced Soon! ****

Introducing the Support Staff

The Score Master:

Jay Trotter
(assisted by Track Collector & Ted Craven)

The Schedule Master:

PaceAdvantage
(Thursday evening Race Schedules)

Rules Master:

Track Collector
(Sign-up, Rules)

The Organizing Committee:

Ted Craven, Track Collector, Jay Trotter, PaceAdvantage

The Teams
(so far):

Squatheads (RDSS) - 2013 Champions
auntjanet5 - dogkatcher - goatchaser

The Parlay Kings - 2012 Champions
Jay Trotter
- Maumeeriverangler - ndsc32

Team Las Vegas
pat5336 - mudcat - kingfin66

Team Overlay (OverlayPublications.com)
Overlay - davew - Track Collector

Da Cappers (e-ponies.com)
Passrace (RDSS) - Turfway Ed - Capper Al

Team Sartin (RDSS)
Ted Craven - Binder - Golf Man

Retired Out to Stud
tiger rose - oneg12 - TBD

Team LOCKS
TheEdge07 - Si2see - GaryG

Assiniboia Cappers
FunkyMonkey - scb5679 - Stan717

Also Eligibles
coachv30 - horses4courses - BlinkersOn

Team PickMasters
Red Knave - offtrack - Immanuel Kant

Team Texas (RDSS)
Procefus - dcn7272 - botc

The Gold Runners
joeyp
- dylbert - LAP_520

Team Dynaformer
ten2oneormore - mrhorseplayer - Smokinjoe@bp

Master of Futility
camourous - TBred17Roan - Chackiee

Dangerous Dams and the Duke (RDSS)
canadagoose
- Old Gray Mare - rmath

Arlington Cappers
illinoisbred
- Striker - tbwinner

Team Hawgwash
planks46d - mmdorn - headhawg

Legion of Doom
FWizard
- WarEmblem - netbet

Hottalkers 1
Chiefcrazybear - handycapmike60 - Hottalkerinkentucky

Swing for the Fences
turfeyejoe - roamin - Aner

Rough Riders
Big Red - don - pioneer476

La Familia
Mana - spicytomato - MONEY

Pens Pens RDSS
Idiatone - cdax - gaz

Team Game Over
JETSWIN - terrygolf1313 - alydar

Team PaceAdvantage
PaceAdvantage - nijinski - joeprunes

Team NFS
Fastracehorse - FiveWide - Nets

Pear Shaped
McCarron - Oracle - Precisionist

Pucks & Ponies
jdhanover - bitter - iwearpurple

Down 2 with the Puck
cj's dad - cj - wiffleball whizz

The Sunshine Pros
Beachbabe - Turkoman - PICSIX

loadedwithclass
JolyB
- Indypacer - maclr11

Team Free Pig Money
freehouse2002 - pigpen - moneyandland

Team Gapfire
Gapfire - Greyfox - Barney Rubble

CanAm Turfers
funnsss1 - badbrew - cutchemist42

Team Derby Trail
pointman - jms62 - ateamstupid

LetItRide
Maximus - Racetrack Playa - AlbertButtry

Sweetspicylove (RDSS)
buffaloxp - pktruckdriver - sovatthana

FREE AGENT LIST
(Teams needing players - please PM these individuals)

turffan

Welcoming Teams and players representing PaceAdvantage.com, PaceandCap.com, e-ponies.com, Del Mar Fan Forum, DerbyTrail.com, HotTalkers, Assiniboia Downs, Texas, Arlington, Pennsylvania, Las Vegas, Overlay Publications, HSH, RDSS (any other affiliations I've forgotten ?!)

Just another reminder folks - Round 1 starts next Saturday January 4. All team members must sign the Rules Acknowledgement before the team is eligible for the Contest. Teams must be complete and signed-in by next Saturday morning. Anyone who has signed the Rules Acknowledgement but not joined a Team or the Free Agent List - please do so ASAP!

Any incomplete teams - please contact members of the Free Agent list to round out your teams. Free Agents, please contact each other to form teams, or contact incomplete teams to ask to join (Teams with less than 3 identified or signed-in members).

The Race Schedule will be posted next Thursday evening in the Round 1 Thread by the Schedule Master - PaceAdvantage.

Lastly - we anticipate announcing the 2014 Contest Sponsor and the full Prize roster by late next week.

Good luck everyone!

Ted

Last edited by Ted Craven; 01-03-2014 at 04:59 PM.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:03 AM   #24
McCarron

Hi Ted - One of our team members for Pear Shaped, Precisionist, responded yes in the poll and has signed up in the proper thread but is not showing in blue. Thanks..
McCarron is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-29-2013, 12:12 PM   #25
Ted Craven

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCarron
Hi Ted - One of our team members for Pear Shaped, Precisionist, responded yes in the poll and has signed up in the proper thread but is not showing in blue. Thanks..
Done! Thanks for the head-up.

Ted

Old 01-02-2014, 08:19 PM   #26
McCarron

Message to All Players

I'm looking forward to another year of this contest - the team aspect makes it really worthwhile and I find it extremely engaging.

Note to all players: Although bitching is in our Horseplayer DNA, please keep in mind that the contest administrators are volunteering to put this together and it's a free contest. Before you complain about race selection, post times, tracks involved, scoring, etc., keep in mind what this is all about. Let's enjoy this, understanding the context and spirit of the contest.

Good luck and good racing....
McCarron is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-02-2014, 08:53 PM   #27
dylbert
Turf Economist

Schedule shows GG7 this week. Is this correct? Rules state that-- "Only races with Free Brisnet PPs will be considered except for the final two contest games with Churchill Downs races." Are we going with 7 races? Substitute race? Or just ignore stated rule?

Thanks for clarification.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:56 PM   #28
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

You guys are a bunch of ball busters, you know that? lol

One guy per team can't come up with the PPs for GG race 7?

Now if I go and change the schedule, I'm going to have an equal amount of people bitching at me that they never got the change and they handicapped for GG race 7, not whatever race I change it to.

And the only race I have to change it with would be a race from Aqueduct...and you know if I do that, that will guarantee they cancel on Saturday.
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-02-2014, 09:03 PM   #29
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

SCHEDULE HAS BEEN CHANGED FOR WEEK #1

See reply #12 at the following link:

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/s...d.php?t=109674
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-02-2014, 09:14 PM   #30
dylbert
Turf Economist

It is mistake. Just correct it. No one should fault insertion of another race which conforms with rules. It's only Thursday plenty of time for all teams to adjust their handicapping.