Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-08-2023, 01:54 PM   #76
Geno_Gino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoops McCann View Post
between all the races and workouts it probably is. i really don't know for sure but it's unlikely that a week goes by without a fatal breakdown in America. who knows what it would be if you included worldwide racing. as a fan of the sport i know this is happening but since i don't often see it, it's easier to forget that it is happening. but this breakdown of Maple Leaf Mel was just horriific on so many levels. a budding superstar with a little known trainer who is a cancer survivor, famous owner, national broadcast, happens right before the wire, she was no doubt going to win, a grade one at the premier meet in the country. it was just brutal. i've been a fan of horseracing for 50 years but i tell ya this is one of the moments that has me questioning - why the heck am i watching this? because it's not like this is a one off. i mean gee whiz, there's a good chance another fatal breakdown happened today. almost for sure another will happen this week. anyway, i know this sounds knee jerk and it probably is. but this incident really rocked me.
I agree. I've been involved with and have loved the sport for more than four decades. Yet -- as the premise for my starting this thread -- lately I have had to take a hard look at what it is that I actually love.

After all the reminisces about the big scores, bad beats, majesty of the sport, competitive nature of its participants (both human and equine), the supposed economic benefit to state and local economies (how many times have I myself written that thoroughbred racing is the state of Maryland's third largest economic driver ... it's probably not true, but hey, I would say to myself, I love racing and will tag along with that falsehood) ... is racing really nothing more than what I had posted earlier?

" ... we beat horses with whips and run them until some drop dead just so that old men can wager on the outcome and boast to our friends how 'smart' we are."

Last edited by Geno_Gino; 08-08-2023 at 01:56 PM.
Geno_Gino is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-08-2023, 02:17 PM   #77
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geno_Gino View Post
" ... we beat horses with whips and run them until some drop dead just so that old men can wager on the outcome and boast to our friends how 'smart' we are."
nope...it's definitely more than that

I have met and known my share of backside folks who have an incredible passion for the thoroughbred racehorse. They treat and care for them as if they were their own children.

It's not just a job to these types of folks.

And the horses themselves form an undeniable bond with the people I am talking about. Grooms...hotwalkers...assistants...vets...these types of people.

There are many people on the frontside as well who would qualify.

It's not just a cold hard endeavor where the only goal and satisfaction comes from winning $$$.

So I disagree with this theory entirely.

And most of the people I'm talking about here are definitely NOT old men...LMAO
Old 08-08-2023, 02:28 PM   #78
Geno_Gino

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
nope...it's definitely more than that

I have met and known my share of backside folks who have an incredible passion for the thoroughbred racehorse. They treat and care for them as if they were their own children.

It's not just a job to these types of folks.

And the horses themselves form an undeniable bond with the people I am talking about. Grooms...hotwalkers...assistants...vets...these types of people.

There are many people on the frontside as well who would qualify.

It's not just a cold hard endeavor where the only goal and satisfaction comes from winning $$$.

So I disagree with this theory entirely.

And most of the people I'm talking about here are definitely NOT old men...LMAO
I hear you. I've worked on the backside for years, got my start as a professional writer covering horse racing for 15 years, and most of my closest friends still work in the industry as trainers, race callers, chart callers, photo finish operators, etc.

I've seen Maggie and Gabby grow from young children to wonderful [and knowledgable] media analysts and ambassadors of the sport. (The Maryland Racing Writers' Association helped send both of them through college with our backstretch scholarship program).

I'm not trying to sway anyone's mind other than my own.
Old 08-08-2023, 02:33 PM   #79
Geno_Gino

And with that I'll shut up.

Good luck with the Travers Stakes this year. I think I'll pass. (NYRA won't miss my less than $2K in wagers that day)
Old 08-08-2023, 02:42 PM   #80
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geno_Gino View Post
And with that I'll shut up.
no need to shut up...your opinion is always welcome
Old 08-26-2023, 04:28 PM   #81
Geno_Gino

Hell of a show NYRA is putting on today.
Old 08-26-2023, 04:29 PM   #82
Mr_Ed

Saratoga Slaughterhouse
Mr_Ed is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-26-2023, 04:33 PM   #83
Sheffwed

Breed for speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed View Post
Saratoga Slaughterhouse
you breed for speed, a step too far - Icarus and his wings

same thing happening in baseball with pitchers, they throw too fast, for too long, with too many drugs in some cases, and they keep breaking down, except when a horse breaks his leg, it is over

dirt racing is over, or it should be
Sheffwed is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-26-2023, 04:46 PM   #84
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheffwed View Post
you breed for speed, a step too far - Icarus and his wings

same thing happening in baseball with pitchers, they throw too fast, for too long, with too many drugs in some cases, and they keep breaking down, except when a horse breaks his leg, it is over

dirt racing is over, or it should be
We had one on turf earlier in the card.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-26-2023, 04:52 PM   #85
VeryOldMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
We had one on turf earlier in the card.
I read there was another in a workout today too. 3 on the day at Saratoga.

I'm done watching today and probably longer. Been watching for 50+ years but this is getting really difficult to watch.

There's a discussion to be had about breeding practices, drugs, track surfaces, etc. but not today. May the fallen RIP.
VeryOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-26-2023, 04:54 PM   #86
Bullet Plane

Brutal, horrible break down. Glad my girlfriend wasn't watching. She already has refused to watch after Mapleleaf Mel. I told her that wouldn't happen again anytime soon. Good grief, this one was even worse!
Bullet Plane is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-26-2023, 05:19 PM   #87
bisket

After The Jim Dandy this is the first time we’ve watched Saratoga. My girlfriend has off track thoroughbreds and she’s been in the show jumping circuit with her daughter. Her daughter has a large farm. After watching Irad do what he did she wouldn’t watch. She’s been excited about Arcangelo since watching the Belmont.. Luckily she wasn’t watching when this happened, but she’s not going to watch the Travers now. She goes to the local steeplechase races all the time. She just can’t watch horses treated the way they are at most thoroughbred tracks. There’s understanding that horse break their legs, but watching a jock do that in a race and Angel of Empire not racing the rest of the year. Who knows if we’ll see that horse again. These things make a difference. Anytime you seal a track you should move the race to tapeta.
bisket is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-26-2023, 05:21 PM   #88
Inner Dirt

Those are the worst, ready to be ridden out to victory and then just fall.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-26-2023, 05:23 PM   #89
bisket

They have tapeta in show rings by the way
bisket is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-26-2023, 06:12 PM   #90
SandyW

Why didn't Saratoga harrow the track before the race with the breakdown and not after the race?
What was NYRA trying to keep a time schedule for FOX?
SandyW is offline   Reply With Quote Reply