Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 01-19-2018, 01:25 PM   #16
ultracapper

I would prefer a better class of horse at SA also. But, from a betting perspective, I'm finding a 10 horse field of $16K N2L is a hell of a lot better race to bet into than a 6 horse field of $40K claimers. The tote board may be the only thing about the $16k claimer that's attractive, but that's my involvement in the game.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-19-2018, 01:32 PM   #17
Gekish

Los Alamitos

At the Los Al Satellite Wagering the average age of bettors is about 60 including me who turned 81 yesterday. This is a dying game.
Old 01-19-2018, 01:37 PM   #18
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gekish View Post
At the Los Al Satellite Wagering the average age of bettors is about 60 including me who turned 81 yesterday. This is a dying game.
I'm not disagreeing, but sure, places like that draw an older crowd. A lot of younger people (and older too, for that matter) are betting from home. Horse racing is always going to lean towards older people that have more time and disposable income.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-19-2018, 01:41 PM   #19
oughtoh

16nw2 big field is fine. But mdn clm after mdn clm, especially 25k, you can have. No interest in them.
oughtoh is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-19-2018, 03:19 PM   #20
FakeNameChanged

Quote:
Well Happy Birthday. IT's good to have hobbies during retirement.
Old 01-19-2018, 04:24 PM   #21
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
I'm not disagreeing, but sure, places like that draw an older crowd. A lot of younger people (and older too, for that matter) are betting from home. Horse racing is always going to lean towards older people that have more time and disposable income.
I would argue that a lot of older players who regularly play the game when they have disposable income likely still started when they were younger.

I think gambling is going to expand in this country and not contract, sadly racing has positioned itself as the least desirable form in many of the statistical standpoints.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-19-2018, 04:37 PM   #22
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
I would argue that a lot of older players who regularly play the game when they have disposable income likely still started when they were younger.

I think gambling is going to expand in this country and not contract, sadly racing has positioned itself as the least desirable form in many of the statistical standpoints.
I agree they started younger, but those starting younger now are not going to be showing up in OTBs for the most part.

Racing has been stayed pretty level the last several years after a big dropoff, but I agree it is not positioned well for the future. Some serious changes are going to have to be made.
Old 01-19-2018, 04:58 PM   #23
Robert Fischer
clean money

Having fun guessing along with the cheap claimers, but it is normally a class that I pass over.

Mainly a fan of colts and/or older horses running for a decent purse in a decent sized field. The other races I play are typically extensions of a multi-race sequence from one of those races, or an angle play that happens to jump off the page.

I think today was like 99% fillies and/or claimers.

Playing around a little with looking at the purse levels in comparison to today's purse and class. So far I think I'm 0-for-3 with what I would've come up with, although they weren't 3 amazing discoveries. More of just working through the process for 3 races to see what I came up with.
Old 01-19-2018, 08:48 PM   #24
dlivery

Read My Lips

Read the Conditions of the race until it becomes Fuzzy
Like betting on a horse 1/51
Nay I will pass
dlivery is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-22-2018, 09:38 AM   #25
ubercapper

Quote:
Quite the opposite at Keeneland, where there hundreds of 20 somethings attending the races daily, thousands on the weekend. This is not a dying game.
ubercapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-22-2018, 09:47 AM   #26
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubercapper View Post
Quite the opposite at Keeneland, where there hundreds of 20 somethings attending the races daily, thousands on the weekend. This is not a dying game.
Plenty of younger people at the botique meets where they show up for the party.

There will be 10's of thousands of young people at the Phoenix Open next week, still a dying game....they are not there for the golf.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-22-2018, 08:27 PM   #27
BadGnus

If this is any help to the discussion of whether this sport is on the decline....

Attached Images
File Type: png Tbredhandle.PNG (94.5 KB, 30 views)
BadGnus is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-23-2018, 10:10 AM   #28
green80

Quote:
Field size is important, but it certainly isn't everything for bettors. If it was EvD and DeD would be the kings of racing I'd guess. There is a balance between field size and quality.
Constantly bashing our Louisiana racing.
green80 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-23-2018, 10:15 AM   #29
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by green80 View Post
Constantly bashing our Louisiana racing.
That wasn't a bash, just facts. Fields sizes are really good there last I checked, but people still don't bet the product much.
Old 01-23-2018, 12:15 PM   #30
classhandicapper

Quote:
Racing has been stayed pretty level the last several years after a big dropoff, but I agree it is not positioned well for the future. Some serious changes are going to have to be made.
I'm worried that the sharp decline occurred during the financial crisis and now we've been in a somewhat level period while the economy has been growing for the last 8-9 years.

What happens in the next recession?

We could have another significant drop.

The cyclical growing economy may just be masking the long term secular downtrend for awhile.