Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 07-24-2016, 08:43 AM   #1
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

R8 Del Mar: California Dreaming

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kcmwXUdDCE

The leaves aren't brown, and the sky won't be gray, but we will be California Dreaming today.

A simple $150K Stakes race that has the quality of a Grade 2 race with the entries lined up to be running in this one.

The real question for most in this one is the 8.5 furlongs and the surface. Many a horse stretching out in here with turf not being their specialty.

Magic Mark: Turf? Out of 15 lifetime starts this gelding has only ran on the grass a single time. And finished 7th and 22 lengths back in that one. Likely the worst performance of his career. Not only that, but distance is a huge question mark. Have to pass.

Ambitious Brew: Yes, he is good on grass, but as a sprinter and upwards to a mile. How will he handle 8.5 Furlongs? Connections also tried him on dirt last out and was spanked in a G1 by Lord Nelson at 7F while fading. 4/1 ML sees a bit aggressive as I don't see a race in him that can win this one.

Boozer: The return of Gary Stevens in the irons is interesting. He also has a nice record at Del Mar with 2 wins and 3 of 4 hitting the board. Distance is the question mark here though as he does his best work on or near the lead.

Somethings Unusual: He is a straight up turf sprint closer. And against decent competition he has never been able to raise his game. Tough to see an in the money finish out of this one.

Alert Bay: He won the G3 San Francisco 2 back at a mile on the turf and has 12 wins in 27 career races. Always bet, and almost always game, this looks to be the one to beat. He is also 2 for 3 at the distance and can get 8.5 furlongs unlike nearly all of his foes in here today. A classic stalker that should be sitting a bit further back today. Can he deal with that?

Patriots Rule: Extremely difficult to look past the near year away from racing for this guy. And that is after 3 really poor efforts prior to his extended layoff. His Del Mar record is garbage, and Talamo hasn't won anything of note in quite a while. Really tough to make a case for this one.

Poshsky: Likely coming off of a career best effort in the Crystal Water Stakes in which he edged out Alert Bay at the wire. He definitely fits with these, and can run big in back to back races. He could also sit a nice trip in here with a number of front end horses and speed taking to the front where he may well be able to run uncontested for a good portion of the early running. He is an all or nothing type horse, so tread lightly in exotics wagering.

Soi Phet: Turf? Coming into this one he is in near career best form.., but that is on dirt. Kent Desormeaux has been in the irons over his last 4 races in which he has hit the exacta every time. And in stakes company. His turf record, however, is a bit concerning being 1 for 11 and another 2 Shows. ML of 9/2 isn't where I'd be laying my money.

Avanti Bello: Turf? Of his 14 career races, only 2 have been ran on turf, and zero wins, much less board finishes, have come about in those 2 tries. Distance shouldn't be a problem, but he has to be near the lead to be a factor in a race full of horses stretching out. Really tough horse to pass on with Bejarano and O'Neill, but there are better options in here.

SUMMARY: Pretty crazy race all things considered, and really tough to land on a winner. Should be a quick pace, even on the turf, and at an extended distance for a number of these in here.

W: Boozer
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-24-2016, 11:27 AM   #2
Southbaygent
TomT

Poshsky win at/if 9/2

Magic Mark at long shot odds
Southbaygent is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-24-2016, 02:17 PM   #3
Southbaygent
TomT

scratched
Southbaygent is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-24-2016, 02:57 PM   #4
johnhannibalsmith

Not a race that excites me to play very much but since you gave him the least amount of attention and he's the biggest M/L price, I'll give some love to Somethings Unusual and maybe talk myself into a little play if I can make sense of the rest of the field.

I actually think this horse does pretty well around two turns (when he gets clean trips and a good pace) and the sprint races help set him up well for those races.

But the main case I'm going to make is his better than it might seem win in Phoenix in the Cotton Fitsimmons. Sure, I get it, big deal it's a minor stakes at Turd Paradise.

But he ran a really good race to win that day and the runner-up isn't a bad horse. But wait! There's more!

The horse that was the favorite on that day is a horse by the name of Big Cazanova. Who is that? He had been dancing many of the Cal Stakes dances, winning the Native Diver, ran a good fifth behind Hard Aces, Hoppertunity, Catch a Flight, and Finnegan's Wake in the SA Gold Cup - and most recently on the highlight reel is a strong second behind a little horse called Alert Bay.

Alert Bay is the 2-1 M/L favorite today. To recap:, Big Cazanova, okay minor stakes presence, runs some big ones against better horses, including a good second to today's favorite. He goes to Phoenix and as the favorite gets smoked by Something's Unusual. No, that's hardly a convincing case, but I think that there are enough little circumstantial evidence sort of things going on with Something's Unusual that he has some chance to win.

Not a good chance, but at a 20-1 M/L and the chance for better, I think there is a reasonable case to be made for a price at which he gets pretty playable.

edited because I'm OCD and missed a bold name.

-Robert James Smith, 1989

Last edited by johnhannibalsmith; 07-24-2016 at 02:59 PM.
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-24-2016, 03:24 PM   #5
Robert Fischer
clean money

Alert Bay is a hard hitter. I'm keying the 5.

If the pace gets too hot, there are several jockeys who I could foresee possibly working a good trip:

Soi Phet is a little bit too low in ml odds, but he's a solid horse, and Desormeaux seems like he can do whatever he wants(which likely means working a patient trip from the 8 hole). Dirt to Turf seemingly negative - hopefully the odds come up a little bit.

Boozer comes into this race razor sharp. Stevens is a significant contrast from Maldonado. Maybe a bit softer hands and a more intellectual ride ride will get this one a board spot at a price?

Tossing the Poshky - I want no part of underlayed odds following that dream trip.
Old 07-24-2016, 03:27 PM   #6
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southbaygent
scratched
Sometimes the rail is a tough spot. Wonder if this will affect the ?

Do they slide them all towards the rail? I would think so...
Old 07-24-2016, 08:28 PM   #7
098poi

Ex , / , , ,
098poi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-24-2016, 08:41 PM   #8
098poi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 098poi
Ex , / , , ,
I didn't bet but I was going to post a 2,5,6 box but 6 had been off so long I said nahh!!

/ pays $149.30 for $1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
098poi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-26-2016, 02:01 AM   #9
Conquer

I was going to play this race but backed out and observed instead. I am glad I did because my selections were H5 Alert Bay and H3 Boozer.

Just so you guys know, H6 Patriots Rule according to database had a LESS THAN 3% CHANCE OF WINNING the race, and lo-and-behold, wouldn't YA KNOW IT he wins the race!!

The winning result of this race alone is a PERFECT example of the quirks and uncertainty inherit in the universe and in gambling, handicapping and overall statistics alike!

The final results were as follows:

6-2-3-5

Horse #6 Patriots Rule paid $35.80!! and the $1 Superfecta paid $3,448.90!!!
Conquer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-26-2016, 02:04 AM   #10
Conquer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 098poi
I didn't bet but I was going to post a 2,5,6 box but 6 had been off so long I said nahh!!

/ pays $149.30 for $1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I couldn't believe the prices on the exotics myself!

The $1 Superfecta paid $3,448.90!!!

I was going to bet as well but changed my mind and observed instead. Like you, I completely X'ed out H6 due to how long hes been away.

I had H3 and H5 as my selections.
Conquer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply