Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

View Poll Results: gentlemen of the board please answer gross roi for the year
5k-10k 15 30.00%
11k-20k 4 8.00%
21k-30k 3 6.00%
31k-40k 2 4.00%
41k-50k 5 10.00%
50k-75k 3 6.00%
75-up 18 36.00%
Voters: 50. This poll is closed

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 12-13-2005, 06:10 PM   #61
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

DrugS isn't Andy Beyer's alter-ego, is it?
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-13-2005, 06:26 PM   #62
the little guy

I was thinking of getting Beyer to read some of these threads as their entertainment value is topnotch.

He's already ahead of the game....he knows the definition of " sycophant ".
the little guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-13-2005, 07:31 PM   #63
twindouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy
I was thinking of getting Beyer to read some of these threads as their entertainment value is topnotch.

He's already ahead of the game....he knows the definition of " sycophant ".
sycophant; A person who seeks favor by flattering people of wealth or influnence; parasite;

The more I read your posts my vocabulary improves, won't be long I'll have an arsenal of words to destroy anyone.
twindouble is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-13-2005, 08:54 PM   #64
DrugSalvastore
I Love DrugS <3 <3 <3 <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
DrugS isn't Andy Beyer's alter-ego, is it?
We did attend the same public high school for whatever that's worth---I don't think they would let me get within 15 blocks of Harvard or the Washington Post though.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:41 PM   #65
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrugSalvastore
We did attend the same public high school for whatever that's worth---I don't think they would let me get within 15 blocks of Harvard or the Washington Post though.
All your recent talk about "crushing" a race when you have a strong opinion, coupled with your recent arrival in Tampa sent a shiver down my spine. Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't Mr. Beyer become a big fan of Tampa Bay Downs in recent years?
Old 12-13-2005, 11:54 PM   #66
BillW
Comfortably Numb

Quote:
Hey Drugs, where do you live at? I used to live on W. 7th and awhile on Cherry.
BillW is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-13-2005, 11:55 PM   #67
Topcat

Orlando,

Maybe you should add negative brackets too?
------------------------------------------------

And gee I cut myslf shaving this morning because I had
so many things pasted on the damn mirror I couldn't see. <G>

Last edited by Topcat; 12-14-2005 at 12:04 AM.
Topcat is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-14-2005, 12:12 AM   #68
DrugSalvastore
I Love DrugS <3 <3 <3 <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillW
Hey Drugs, where do you live at? I used to live on W. 7th and awhile on Cherry.
I've lived on W. 26th street---and I've lived briefly on Auburn Street (just off of 26th) I've spent time just outside the city as well. I lived in McKean and Lawrence Park as well. I moved around a lot. I only spent one year at Strong Vincent, I went outside of the city after that. Not a very fun place IMO.
Old 12-14-2005, 12:16 AM   #69
BillW
Comfortably Numb

Quote:
I've lived on W. 26th street---and I've lived briefly on Auburn Street (just off of 26th) I've spent time just outside the city as well. I lived in McKean and Lawrence Park as well. I moved around a lot. I only spent one year at Strong Vincent, I went outside of the city after that. Not a very fun place IMO.
It'll be nicer when they get a track back
BillW is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-14-2005, 12:22 AM   #70
DrugSalvastore
I Love DrugS <3 <3 <3 <3

Quote:
All your recent talk about "crushing" a race when you have a strong opinion, coupled with your recent arrival in Tampa sent a shiver down my spine. Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't Mr. Beyer become a big fan of Tampa Bay Downs in recent years?
I've heard a lot of very insulting things said about Beyer over the internet, but this takes the cake! He would probably slit his wrist if he found out, some conspiracy minded wiseguy on the interent, was comparing him to me.

Can the guy who's up $162,201.00 this year, please post something to change the subject. This thread is getting silly.

For the record: 1. I'm much prettier than Beyer. 1A. I'm in FLA for Gulfstream, and have no interest in playing Tampa Downs (I don't want to face-off against wiseguys like Steve who annually make millions there) 1X. I have a really big crush on all chicks who wear real thick nerdy looking glasses.
Old 12-14-2005, 12:27 AM   #71
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Relax. It was a joke.....

Hey, why don't you post that picture you sent me a while ago....who knows, you might end up with a date....
Old 12-14-2005, 12:47 AM   #72
DrugSalvastore
I Love DrugS <3 <3 <3 <3

Quote:
Relax. It was a joke.....

Hey, why don't you post that picture you sent me a while ago....who knows, you might end up with a date....
The one where I was wearing a thong and jumping out of a cake??

Yea---I figured you would be impressed by that one. I'm a little more tan since that time---plus I think I've firmed up some in the rear end.

You know I'm just messing with you PA. Even though you lead the Anti-DrugS Coalition around here---I've given you much more reason than anyone to not like me. OXOX. You're a good sport for not banning me by now.

Once again, Can the guy who's up $162,201.00 please post something in here again and put an end to all this silly nonsense.
Old 12-14-2005, 12:57 AM   #73
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
You know I'm just messing with you PA. Even though you lead the Anti-DrugS Coalition around here---I've given you much more reason than anyone to not like me. OXOX. You're a good sport for not banning me by now.
Me? Anti DrugS? No way....lol

Truth be told, you've grown on me recently....

And if I didn't ban the guy who claimed to win $1,000,000 at Tampa, why would I ban you? Besides, banning is overrated.
Old 12-14-2005, 06:24 AM   #74
timtam

Last year at Tampa Bay Downs Margo Flynn the track hostess had Andy

Beyer on as a guest. She never let him talk. Hmmmm
timtam is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-14-2005, 12:36 PM   #75
GameTheory

DrugS,

Although some often do make it sound like beating the races is quite easy, you make it sound near impossible. I think that has to do with your chosen path to your own profits, wherein you must be the World's Greatest Handicapper (or close to it) to be successful. You really seem to have a passion for the horses themselves and analyzing match-ups, etc. In other words, what I glean from your posts is that you are successful because you make it a point to know more about each of the horses in a race than everyone else. I haven't inferred your betting method, but I gather it is fairly selection-oriented -- you probably break down the race to determine the likely winner, and then bet if you get a decent price on your selection. That's just a guess, but I haven't heard you talking about making full-scale betting lines, assigning probabilities, etc. You've also explicitly said that you wouldn't bet a horse just because it fit some profile, so I gather angles and spot plays aren't your thing either.

All power to you, and I don't mean any of this as a criticism, but your chosen path has got to be the single most difficult way to make money betting on horse races. And it is by no means the only way, just the hardest! If I were you, I would start submitting your expert analysis to DRF, TVG, Bloodhorse or even an off-shore outfit and try to get myself a job as a paid analyst/handicapper. The stuff you post here is better informed than the stuff I read from the paid experts on big race days. Your work is going to waste bottled up in your own head if you aren't making a lot of money betting.

My own path, and this seems to be similar to the majority of the other successful players I've encountered, is for it to take 10-20 years to figure out how to win at this game, usually after realizing you don't have to be the World's Greatest Handicapper and putting your focus instead on figuring out how to take money from the other bettors via the pari-mutuel pools. It isn't really about the horses and the races -- that's just the arena we do battle in. It is about me vs. everyone else making a bet -- I'm trying to win a piece of the pot, not pick the winner of a race better than everyone else. Anyway, once you've figured out HOW TO WIN, then it often does become easy because it suddenly becomes simple. In Steve Fierro's book THE 4 QUARTERS OF HORSE INVESTING, handicapping is only one of the quarters, and I think he's correct. Only 25% of your time should be spent handicapping. Handicapping the horses is important, but it isn't that important. If you are going to try to beat the game by being the best handicapper, you really do have a tough road to prosperity. (And like I said, you really should get paid by someone for all that great insight. If no one wants to publish you, start a website with analysis and at least make advertising dollars. You might try your hand an some Vegas handicapping tourneys as well.)

Anyway, I'm not trying to pick on you, it just seems like you get a bit annoyed if anyone dares suggest they are making money and having an easier time at it than you are. But frankly, I would be a bit surprised if anyone making money DIDN'T have an easier time than you as you've chosen the most difficult way to do it!

But keep up the good work anyway, you really do know your stuff...
GameTheory is offline   Reply With Quote Reply