Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

View Poll Results: gentlemen of the board please answer gross roi for the year
5k-10k 15 30.00%
11k-20k 4 8.00%
21k-30k 3 6.00%
31k-40k 2 4.00%
41k-50k 5 10.00%
50k-75k 3 6.00%
75-up 18 36.00%
Voters: 50. This poll is closed

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 12-12-2005, 03:27 PM   #31
fmhealth

Little Guy, point well taken. I simply prefer a 1,200 immediate credit to my account rather than a 67,000 debit. But your thoughts are certainly valid & appreciated.

Continued success!!
fmhealth is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-12-2005, 03:30 PM   #32
Valuist

TLG-

I see your point; maybe I'm paranoid about the rebates drying up and I've been treating them separately. I guess the IRS probably wouldn't view them separately.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-12-2005, 05:26 PM   #33
DrugSalvastore
I Love DrugS <3 <3 <3 <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valuist
To put that into perspective, IMO beating the races 19 weeks in a row would be more impressive than the sporting streaks of Ripken, Dimaggio and Favre.
As Hyperbolic as that sounds---I agree with that.

* I'm sure some wise-ass could possibly show a profit 19 weeks in a row by doing the following pointless exercise....

Betting $2 to show on a dominant horse in a short field. If the horse doesn't show, bet $41 to show on the next one etc. And by doing this, you could profit a dime a week for 19 straight weeks through the windows. Just to say you "won" 19 weeks in a row.

But, to actually bet the game seriously for 19 straight weeks, and produce profits each and every one of the 19 weeks---that's complete mastery if you ask me. The game is EASY for you if you can do that.

What's the most consecutive weeks in a row I've won? I really don't know, because I don't keep track of stuff like that. However, I've had some brilliant sustained hot streaks---and I can assure you I never got anywhere close to 19 weeks in a row.

In this game---you can have five disastorous losing weeks in a row, have one giant score, and than have five more dreadful weeks...and be quite profitable over that span because of the one big hit.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:33 PM   #34
Light
Veteran

Valuist

I did find the $1 at the end of $168,201 a bit much. I know a guy at the track who is a bonafied liar and likes to use odd numbers like that to sound genuine. The funny thing about him is if 3 different people ask him how much he made,there are 3 different answers.

Don't take offense oexplayer68. Not calling you a liar. I really don't care how much $ someone makes. IMO,anyone who makes alot of dough and talks about it, is foolish. Because alot of times it's not you.It's a gift.
Light is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-12-2005, 05:49 PM   #35
the little guy

DrugS

For what it's worth, and I don't mean this as a slight anyone else posting here, but your posts demonstrate as much as anyone's I've seen that you are a serious horseplayer who if nothing else understands extremely well the difficulties in playing this game full-time. I think that is why you, and I, are skeptical, to say the least, by the flippancy so many of these supposed winners demonstrate.
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-12-2005, 06:06 PM   #36
sjk

I don't find it the least bit suprising that a player would keep records which would show down to the last dollar his net winnings for the year. I have a piece of paper with numbers on it (some might prefer a spreadsheet) for each of the past 8 years and as of the last race at Crc today the last number on my page for 2005 ends in a 7.

Looking at my records for the past 8 years I do find 19 consecutive winnings weeks extrodinary. My best over the years was 11 winning weeks in a row and that was many years ago.

I know there are winning players out there and with the number of serious players that read this forum I would think that most (if not all) of those posting results above are genuine.

Call us what you will, some of us have done pretty well without signing up for rebates.

Last edited by sjk; 12-12-2005 at 06:07 PM.
sjk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-12-2005, 06:17 PM   #37
the little guy

sjk

I don't get a rebate either....so more than anyone, if I consider people that don't get them " schmucks ", then I am one.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:25 PM   #38
First_Place

David Schwartz said:

"Most players that have been playing (and losing) for 30 years do not have 30 years of experience. They have one year of experience, thirty times."

Dave, you're brilliant. I've never heard it summed up so perfectly!

Regards,

FP
Old 12-12-2005, 06:31 PM   #39
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy
I think that is why you, and I, are skeptical, to say the least, by the flippancy so many of these supposed winners demonstrate.
Truth be told, there have been a HANDFUL of folks who have come to this board and proclaimed themselves "winners" with actual dollar amounts. It's not as if this kind of thing happens every day....

Do you people actually believe nobody wins big money at this game? Of course you don't. Oexplayer has never raised any alarms with me with any of his posts (that I can remember). What is the great harm in accepting what he has to say at face value? Really, what is the big deal?

DrugS wants proof? What kind of proof would ever satisfy you, save for going to his house and hanging with him for a week or two complete with some forensic accounting exercises? Nothing less will ever convince you, and you know it....so stop the silliness.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-12-2005, 06:42 PM   #40
the little guy

I guess my skepticism is derived from my absolute failure to understand people who come to internet chat rooms and boast of their general success. I just don't understand this and think if someone has something to add they would be much better served by joining in discussions. I suppose this is just another of my myriad of personal problems.

I didn't say this guy was lying, and hope for his sake he is telling the truth, and have no need or interest in proof of any kind. To be honest, while I am once again, like others here, skeptical of some things he said, I found his post truer than most of its kind. It's really my inablity to understand the motivation, or need, for someone to make a post like that to begin with.

I don't need to be convinced that people make money at this game, I understood that implicitly the first time I began to take this game seriously, when I was 12 years old in 1974 and first started going to Saratoga regularly. I know personally MANY successful players. Maybe its because none of them blow their own horns that I am suspicious of those that do. That does not mean I necessarily think those that do are lying.

Last edited by the little guy; 12-12-2005 at 06:44 PM.
Old 12-12-2005, 07:07 PM   #41
kenwoodallpromos

Thread subject

OEX stuck to the subject of how much one made. So here we hgo with off-topics about the stock market and if somebody is BS ing.LOL!
Old 12-12-2005, 07:23 PM   #42
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I don't care 3who is winning or who is losing, but too many winners cuts into my pie, and that I don't like. So get out there and lose.
Old 12-12-2005, 07:26 PM   #43
TurfRuler

This board is getting better and better by the minute!!! Congratulations to oex, Steve and Dave for making a profit at this game. My frustration is that for now I can only play it as a game and not for profit.
TurfRuler is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-12-2005, 07:30 PM   #44
CryingForTheHorses
In Front

Quote:
Originally Posted by oexplayer68
I'm posting this for the benefit of anyone who doesn't think you can make a good living from playing the races. 2005 has proved to be a breakout year for me. To date, I have made $168,201 playing the races, and most of this has come since July when I quit my insurance job. This is not from one lucky score, or me being a "whale", because I am definitely not. Rather, a pretty consisten ROI in the low 20's, and of course the rebates have led to these profits.

With the advent of rebates, I was pretty certain I could at least break even, and grind out a profit with the rebates. My business plan called for 100K per month in total wagering, which would result in 7K in rebates. Prior to August, I had never wagered offshore, and thus was never a beneficiary of rebates or non-pooled wagers. The most powerful factor for me so far has been the fact that my wagers have not been co-mingled into the pools. It became quite obvious early on that I underestimated this in a big way. If your success depends on large exotic payoffs, this is factor alone is a huge advantage.

What is particulary gratifying is that no one had any faith that I could make a viable income from the races. Every single person I talked to, even my own mother, thought I was nuts, and would tap out sooner rather than later. There is no doubt this is the toughest game in the world to beat, but it certainly can be done, and in a big way.

I've profited every week and month since August. I also play every single race, at the track I play that day. Also, I have not made one win,place, or show wager.....which is also against conventional wisdom, or so they say. No computer stuff either, just reading the form the old-fashioned way.

So take it from me guys, making good money at the track is definitely not a pipedream. I've always wanted to be in the camp that could be this game consistently. My only hope is that the great opportunities that the internet has created (offshore wagering, rebates, ect.) do not disappear anytime soon.

I'm sure some of you will be skeptical, and that's totally fine by me. I don't have much of an ego, and debated whether to even post this. My rational behind this message is simply to say that it can be done. I myself would have had much doubt a few years ago, but I know now that it definitely is possible to make tremendous profits in this game.

Best of luck to everyone in 2006!
Good for you, I love your post,Glad you have the "Heart" for the game.May 2006 be a good year for you
CryingForTheHorses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-12-2005, 07:34 PM   #45
twindouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
I don't care 3who is winning or who is losing, but too many winners cuts into my pie, and that I don't like. So get out there and lose.
This handicapping and making money is old hat to me, like I am to most here, I'm here because I'm freaking boored, this getting old sucks and I'm not taking it that well, I need a new challenge, next year I'm shooting for million bucks just for fun. We'll be selling the house next year, going get me a nice sports car, a 20 year old and a years subscription to the DRF, any more than that might be a waste.
twindouble is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: