Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 05-06-2019, 12:13 AM   #1
Blenheim
Race Player

"I think this hurt him really bad."

The Wests Threaten to Get Out of Racing

Blenheim is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-06-2019, 12:17 AM   #2
MutuelClerk

Bub Bye
MutuelClerk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-06-2019, 12:42 AM   #3
MadVindication

It's a really sad state of affairs.
MadVindication is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-06-2019, 10:32 AM   #4
keithw84

When I saw the name of this thread, I was concerned it might be about War of Will, or any sort of physical injury. I'm relieved that's not the case.

I do feel badly for the Wests - it would be terrible to think you've won and then learn that you didn't. But I hate the sense of entitlement. Kind of reminds me of the Mosses when Zenyatta lost.
keithw84 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-06-2019, 10:49 AM   #5
metro

If they still feel Maximum Security should have stayed up, after all of the video angles of the race have come to light, all I can say is good riddance.
metro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-06-2019, 11:03 AM   #6
burnsy
self medicated

This is another negative. Once they get down to less owners. What are they going to promote? Match races? Home of the 4 horse field! Yeah, that's a winner.

Then someone says the word "entitlement"? Yeah, they really need horse racing? People that made fortunes before they bought their first horse. They can do a zillion different things with the time and money. Who are these people on the internet? No doubt about it racing loses again.

I cant blame them. Somehow the race was run 144 times and their horse was the first one that committed a foul. Yup, I'm buying.....
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-06-2019, 11:10 AM   #7
FantasticDan
gelding

Quote:
"It’s not just what we think, it’s what everybody is telling us, that we got robbed,” he said. “Right up to the President. The President tweeted that we got robbed."
FantasticDan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-06-2019, 01:04 PM   #8
Steve R

When you've seen gross fouls go unpunished like Bayern's in the 2014 BC Classic which knocked Shared Belief out of contention and Codex's in the 1980 Preakness which eliminated any chance for Genuine Risk, this incident, which had no impact on the final outcome seems completely unworthy of a DQ.

And I find it hard to imagine that in the 145-year history of the Derby, this was the only time the eventual winner was involved in something considered worthy of disqualification.
Steve R is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-06-2019, 01:11 PM   #9
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
When you've seen gross fouls go unpunished like Bayern's in the 2014 BC Classic which knocked Shared Belief out of contention and Codex's in the 1980 Preakness which eliminated any chance for Genuine Risk, this incident, which had no impact on the final outcome seems completely unworthy of a DQ.

And I find it hard to imagine that in the 145-year history of the Derby, this was the only time the eventual winner was involved in something considered worthy of disqualification.
Genuine Risk had a legitimate gripe, but Bayern wasn't DQ'd because it is considered almost impossible to determine whether incidents at the start cost a horse a place. Specifically, Shared Belief had 10 furlongs to recover.

The argument on Bayern was always a bank shot- that the incident eliminated the other speed horse, who supposedly would have went out with Bayern and softened him up. But that was never going to fly with the stewards.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-06-2019, 01:35 PM   #10
AMPHAR

They got robbed. However I don’t like throwing bombs in the media and not sending your horse to Baltimore to prove it.

I mean Preakness is worth some decent $$$$ and has the field size you clamor for. If the horse is sound then why not?
AMPHAR is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-06-2019, 01:46 PM   #11
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:

We agree on something,......

Hard for me to buy into that for the first time in a century plus 45 yrs this horse was the only one that ever should have come down.

Churchill sets themselves up for this shit by allowing 20 horses then runs on a track they can barely stand up on. Let alone run around the turns.
Old 05-06-2019, 02:10 PM   #12
Steve R

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
Genuine Risk had a legitimate gripe, but Bayern wasn't DQ'd because it is considered almost impossible to determine whether incidents at the start cost a horse a place. Specifically, Shared Belief had 10 furlongs to recover.

The argument on Bayern was always a bank shot- that the incident eliminated the other speed horse, who supposedly would have went out with Bayern and softened him up. But that was never going to fly with the stewards.
Every horse has a chance to "recover" if it's close enough to the lead at the point where the incident occurred and it's still standing. But Shared Belief was knocked off stride by Bayern whether one choose's to call it a foul or not. And even if there was contact on Saturday, no horse was going to pass Maximum Security in the stretch.

If the Broker's Tip-Head Play Derby didn't result in a DQ then certainly this shouldn't have either. It seems there is a different standard at this level. How many DQs have there been in the 450 or so races in TC history?
Steve R is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-06-2019, 02:12 PM   #13
Gold Medal

Quote:

Its not just no winner has been DQ. No horse ever regardless of what position they have finished in has ever been DQ.
Gold Medal is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-06-2019, 02:37 PM   #14
Roaring Good Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold Medal View Post
Its not just no winner has been DQ. No horse ever regardless of what position they have finished in has ever been DQ.

I think Gate Dancer was DQ'd.
Roaring Good Time is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-06-2019, 02:51 PM   #15
Grits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaring Good Time View Post
I think Gate Dancer was DQ'd.

It was Dancer's Image in 1968. Dqd for traces of bute in post race test.
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply