Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 05-04-2019, 10:41 PM   #31
Buell

There's a whole lot of wrong stuff here.

First of all, coming from a state that has a whole lot of folks with missing teeth, especially at his age he looks like a model.

I googled him and found out that he practiced law at some fancy firm in New York that only takes the top students from the top law schools in the country. So I guess his teeth wasn't a problem.

The book Pace Makes The Race (I have an original hardback) was written by Doc, Dick Schmidt (RIP), Tom Hambleton (RIP) and Pizzola. It was later edited so that only Dick and Tom's stuff was in it. Rumor is Pizzola never got a dime from the sales of either book.

I talked to Eric in Vegas one day at the Imperial Palace when I was out there with my wife. He told me that Pizzola had come up with refinements on the PIRCO numbers and gave him the formulas to program into the software. He was a really nice guy Eric, and told me that Pizzola was the best player he ever saw, but it wasn't Eric's style to play exotic bets.

So it seems like to me that Pizzola came up with the math and the formulas, and Eric figured out how to program it.

I still have some old Follow Ups from PIRCO with articles by Pizzola with very technical math so that all makes sense to me.

I wanted to take Eric to dinner with me and my wife, and I asked him and his wife to have dinner, and told me he wasn't married, so I don't know how his widow could sue Pizzola. Unless he got married right before he passed on.

I really like the Match Up but I have to say Pizzola's fulcrum is still working for me, even though Bradshaw hated it.
Buell is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-04-2019, 10:55 PM   #32
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buell View Post
There's a whole lot of wrong stuff here.

First of all, coming from a state that has a whole lot of folks with missing teeth, especially at his age he looks like a model.

I googled him and found out that he practiced law at some fancy firm in New York that only takes the top students from the top law schools in the country. So I guess his teeth wasn't a problem.

The book Pace Makes The Race (I have an original hardback) was written by Doc, Dick Schmidt (RIP), Tom Hambleton (RIP) and Pizzola. It was later edited so that only Dick and Tom's stuff was in it. Rumor is Pizzola never got a dime from the sales of either book.

I talked to Eric in Vegas one day at the Imperial Palace when I was out there with my wife. He told me that Pizzola had come up with refinements on the PIRCO numbers and gave him the formulas to program into the software. He was a really nice guy Eric, and told me that Pizzola was the best player he ever saw, but it wasn't Eric's style to play exotic bets.

So it seems like to me that Pizzola came up with the math and the formulas, and Eric figured out how to program it.

I still have some old Follow Ups from PIRCO with articles by Pizzola with very technical math so that all makes sense to me.

I wanted to take Eric to dinner with me and my wife, and I asked him and his wife to have dinner, and told me he wasn't married, so I don't know how his widow could sue Pizzola. Unless he got married right before he passed on.

I really like the Match Up but I have to say Pizzola's fulcrum is still working for me, even though Bradshaw hated it.

OK.

Ummmmm. WTF are you trying to say here? I'm more confused than a black man in Cheyenne, WY.
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-04-2019, 11:16 PM   #33
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Drop Husker View Post
OK.

Ummmmm. WTF are you trying to say here? I'm more confused than a black man in Cheyenne, WY.
In the Pizzolla video, his lower front teeth look a tad discolored...and fast4522 made a derogatory comment about it in post #23. Buell was obviously displeased with that comment.
Old 05-04-2019, 11:46 PM   #34
fast4522

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
In the Pizzolla video, his lower front teeth look a tad discolored...and fast4522 made a derogatory comment about it in post #23. Buell was obviously displeased with that comment.
That is a very interesting observation thaskalos, but I think Buell made a greater reference to Pizzola and Eric Langhfur at the time of his death who was not married or something like that. Horseplayer in post #26 has a slightly post that he was married. I can tell you that "Pace Makes the Race" was a product of PIRCO and because Pizzola was a member of PIRCO and got nothing a case was litigated in California court against Howard Sartin because of it.
fast4522 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2019, 03:29 AM   #35
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

His name was:

Eric Langjahr
Old 05-05-2019, 03:30 AM   #36
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
OK.

This is your first and final warning to stop with the inappropriate posts/comments/whatever. Your very last.
Old 05-05-2019, 03:37 AM   #37
EQUIPACE
Handy Capable

Mike Pizzola

Hey Guys, Michael Pizzola is a brilliant handicapper. One of the smartest handicappers in the business and you guys talking $hit about his teeth and questioning his ability need to Stand Down... His pace approach to handicapping and using it to find Value is by and far better than many out there. Tom Brohammer is the king of pace handicapping in my opinion and Pizzola, Brohammer along with the rest of the Sartin Group, not to mention Schmidt, Our own Dave Schwartz, and others are the leaders that have taught us well. Show Some Respect!!!
Old 05-05-2019, 09:38 AM   #38
Speed Figure
DJ M.Walk

Quote:
OK.

Being a black man this is a stupid comment!
Speed Figure is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2019, 10:10 AM   #39
classhandicapper

Wow, this thread has gone off the rails.
Old 05-05-2019, 10:36 AM   #40
headhawg
crusty old guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
Wow, this thread has gone off the rails.
This shouldn't surprise anyone as that seems to happen in a lot of threads, usually by the same attention-seeking culprits.
Old 05-05-2019, 12:18 PM   #41
Elliott Sidewater

Michael Pizzola

Well, at least Michael puts it out there pre-race, like Andy Beyer used to do. Both got pilloried for their opinions, but kept putting them out there. That's a trait of winners in my book, you can't be scared of being wrong or offended by others' criticisms when you are.

I knew Michael a little when I was associated with the Sartin group, and during Saratoga seminars it was just the two of us in the coffee shop at 6:30 AM Saturday morning with our racing forms and sleep deprived baggy eyes. We wanted to give the seminar attendees the very best of our opinions on the day's racing card. The guy knows who he is, and is true to himself. He was also a helluva handicapper, one of the best I've met. He had an uncanny instinct for uncovering overbet favorites. At the time I knew him, he had integrity.

One cannot say the same for the National Race Masters, who are probably busy as we speak preparing tout mailings claiming that most (or all !!) selected Country House to win. I can almost see the text now: "Modesty nearly prevented us from sending this newsletter to you, but our excitement got the best of us, and our readers deserve to know - we picked Country House to win the Derby" !!

And they have air cover for doing this -- at what point in history has lying become more acceptable?
Elliott Sidewater is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2019, 12:29 PM   #42
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

The good old days, at the Desmond Americana in Albany!
You and Mikey capping at 6:30am and Dick Schmidt rolls in around noon!

Good times.
Good presentations.

Miss the 4 days of fun and racing.
Old 05-05-2019, 12:46 PM   #43
Elliott Sidewater

Thanks for the memories Tom. Overall, PIRCO was a pretty aged organization. Among the teaching contingent, Michael and I were the youngest two, and I'm almost 70 now. Many in the organization have passed and are missed, but you're right - the good old days were very good.
Elliott Sidewater is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2019, 12:47 PM   #44
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott Sidewater View Post
One cannot say the same for the National Race Masters, who are probably busy as we speak preparing tout mailings claiming that most (or all !!) selected Country House to win. I can almost see the text now: "Modesty nearly prevented us from sending this newsletter to you, but our excitement got the best of us, and our readers deserve to know - we picked Country House to win the Derby" !!

And they have air cover for doing this -- at what point in history has lying become more acceptable?
You might change your mind if you read the bios of their stable of "experts"...
Old 05-05-2019, 10:35 PM   #45
delayjf

Quote:
I seem to recall while reading Bradshaw's match up concepts. that Bradshaw also used something akin to Pizzola's fulcrum pace, or so it seemed to me. I don't think he ever pinned a name to the procedure.
delayjf is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: