Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 06-08-2018, 09:48 AM   #1
upthecreek

Anthony Bourdain, dead, apparent suicide

upthecreek is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-08-2018, 09:55 AM   #2
elysiantraveller

Saw this earlier.... sucks.
elysiantraveller is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-08-2018, 09:56 AM   #3
sonnyp

the guy was charismatic but always seemed to have a chip on his shoulder.....seemed to have dark places he visited emotionally.

I did not find this shocking
sonnyp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-08-2018, 09:56 AM   #4
chrisl

Watched all his shows for years. Sad loss.
chrisl is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-08-2018, 10:14 AM   #5
Ocala Mike

Very sad; watched him all the time. RIP
Ocala Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-08-2018, 10:42 AM   #6
FakeNameChanged

One week ago today.

My neighbor of 30 years, walked out onto his front lawn, stuck a gun into his mouth and shot himself. I was watching the future markets on CNBC with my inner front door open, heard a crack, and saw him fall over. I ran over thinking he'd had another stroke. I saw what he'd done so I held his hand and talked to him, he was still alive. He stopped breathing, and I debated with myself about 10 sec. if I should let him go, but I started cpr and he miraculously started breathing again after about 20-30 seconds. My daughter was standing in the middle of the street(we live on a dead-end) with 911 on the phone, telling them he started breathing again. His name was Randy and he was 57; he'd had a rough 12 years, losing his wife to cancer, his step daughter(whom he helped raise) to kidney disease and his prev. stroke was slowly destroying his mobility. To his credit, he always worked in spite of his disabilities, mowed his lawn, and cleared snow with occasional help from some of us in the neighborhood. After a long 7 minutes, EMT's arrived, and I turned him over to them. Randy lived until the next day and was able to donate his organs to help others. We think now that's why he did it on the front lawn.

RIP Anthony and Randy. Suicide is brutal.
Old 06-08-2018, 10:47 AM   #7
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Wow whos, that's some story. Thanks for sharing that.

I don't know CPR (I should, I know), but if I did, I'm not quite sure I would have done the same, knowing, obviously, what your neighbors intentions were...in fact, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have tried to save him, as cold as that might sound to some.
Old 06-08-2018, 10:56 AM   #8
FakeNameChanged

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Wow whos, that's some story. Thanks for sharing that.

I don't know CPR (I should, I know), but if I did, I'm not quite sure I would have done the same, knowing, obviously, what your neighbors intentions were...in fact, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have tried to save him, as cold as that might sound to some.
Here's the thing PA, in spite of his wound being massive, he was looking at me with his one good eye and struggling to live, waving his arms, coughing, groaning etc. I brushed the gun further away from his hands and made my decision when I saw him lose color and stop breathing. This is the 2nd time I was first on the scene to someone being mortally wounded or injured and the first time I did not do it. The first thing the police asked me then was did I give him CPR. But that had nothing to do with it this time. His dad and family thanked me at the service yesterday so others might live with his organs. I had no knowledge of him being a donor. It was just a quick decision. Had it been out in the woods miles from any help, I probably wouldn't have done it. Don't know.

Last edited by FakeNameChanged; 06-08-2018 at 11:10 AM.
FakeNameChanged is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-08-2018, 11:07 AM   #9
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Learn cpr for your family members......not your neighbors.

Btw “who’s” your neighbor was thoughtless when it came to the position he put you and your daughter in. He could have done things much differently.
Old 06-08-2018, 12:15 PM   #10
thaskalos

Stunned...
Old 06-10-2018, 10:06 AM   #11
fast4522

Just like Robin Williams a huge consumption of cocaine and list of other drugs, the brain in drug overload with non reversible damage to pain and joy centers with euphoric experiences. People who say that they never expected someone like him would do such a thing are delusional, these people are broken and damaged to the point of being the first to go in suicide or homicide.

Last edited by fast4522; 06-10-2018 at 10:07 AM.
fast4522 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2018, 10:28 AM   #12
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast4522 View Post
Just like Robin Williams a huge consumption of cocaine and list of other drugs, the brain in drug overload with non reversible damage to pain and joy centers with euphoric experiences. People who say that they never expected someone like him would do such a thing are delusional, these people are broken and damaged to the point of being the first to go in suicide or homicide.
Gee...the way you put it, there should be celebrity suicides on a daily basis...especially among the "musicians".
Old 06-10-2018, 11:03 AM   #13
fast4522

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
Gee...the way you put it, there should be celebrity suicides on a daily basis...especially among the "musicians".
I am not cutting Anthony Bourdain but I am saying there are serious consequences when you mess with your dopamine when young, there is a good chance when older that it will bite you in the ass and you will be extremely depressed. This a very general way to say it that does not need to be quantified to be accepted. The more detailed assumptions I will leave for the experts to go into.
fast4522 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2018, 11:29 AM   #14
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post

How some musicians keep going after decades of hard drug use is beyond me.
The best example to me is Ron Wood of the Rolling Stones, that guy looked like death warmed over by the time he was in his mid 30's, he is now in his 70's and still alive and kicking. I think genetics plays a big part in your health and longevity.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2018, 12:29 PM   #15
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
How some musicians keep going after decades of hard drug use is beyond me.
The best example to me is Ron Wood of the Rolling Stones, that guy looked like death warmed over by the time he was in his mid 30's, he is now in his 70's and still alive and kicking. I think genetics plays a big part in your health and longevity.
Billy Idol. 62 years old...and looking healthier than he ever did.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: